Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    webboo said:

Bill Bryson book “At Home” gives a good history of how chimneys came in to being and the break through that made upper floors affordable in poorer homes.
    When chimneys started to put on ordinary houses rather than just castles, people complained that they were colder and less healthy. They believed that being well kippered from the smoke stopped them getting ill.

Insofar as they died well before being able to get any serious illnesses, this was correct.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

Bill Bryson book “At Home” gives a good history of how chimneys came in to being and the break through that made upper floors affordable in poorer homes.
    When chimneys started to put on ordinary houses rather than just castles, people complained that they were colder and less healthy. They believed that being well kippered from the smoke stopped them getting ill.

Insofar as they died well before being able to get any serious illnesses, this was correct.
    As clearly they were not dying of old age. What were they dying of.
  • First.Aspect
    webboo said:

webboo said:

As clearly they were not dying of old age. What were they dying of.
    Rickets.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372
    edited December 2023
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Saw these while touring the Outer Hebrides.

Black house (Probably named for good reasons 😉)
    The buildings were generally built with double wall dry-stone walls packed with earth, and were roofed with wooden rafters covered with a thatch of turf with cereal straw or reed. The floor was generally flagstones or packed earth and there was a central hearth for the fire. There was no chimney for the smoke to escape through. Instead the smoke made its way through the roof. This led to the soot blackening of the interior which may also have contributed to the adoption of name blackhouse.

The blackhouse was used to accommodate livestock as well as people. People lived at one end and the animals lived at the other with a partition between them.

This is the bit that doesn't make sense. If the thatch is waterproof, how on earth do people think smoke is making it's way through? Or put the other way, if smoke could escape, rain would come straight through it.

I spoke to the roofers this afternoon - they confirmed that there was definitely no smoke hole, but that what's been preserved has been done so because the conservation officer assessed that the smoke-blackened thatch and timbers were historically significant. They're hoping to do the new thatch on the new timbers in January.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Apparently only 2 to 8% of people died of Rickets in the 17 century, mainly wealthy children. So they be the ones with chimneys, so clearly smoke inhalation is a cure for Rickets.🔥🗣
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    webboo said:

Apparently only 2 to 8% of people died of Rickets in the 17 century, mainly wealthy children. So they be the ones with chimneys, so clearly smoke inhalation is a cure for Rickets.🔥🗣

Quite by coincidence I was watching a documentary today in which it was explained that smoke from juniper branches has antiseptic qualities.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Quite by coincidence I was watching a documentary today in which it was explained that smoke from juniper branches has antiseptic qualities.
    There are lots of things that kill organisms that also aren't good for us.

Bleach, for example, is effective against COVID but shouldn't necessarily be used intravenously.
  • briantrumpet
    I've asked my clever friend if he knows more about ancient thatch without smoke holes... will report back if he gets round to replying.

I've found a couple of examples of his work on a specific building in Exeter, with cutaway illustrations of what the house might have looked like in 1500 and then in 1650. I just love these. I so wish he'd do a limited edition book on lovely paper.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874

pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Quite, but in this specific example that is precisely what it was being used for.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Smoke probably did have a net positive health benefit as it would keep all sorts of pests at bay. There's a reason why smoking things preserves them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

The buildings were generally built with double wall dry-stone walls packed with earth, and were roofed with wooden rafters covered with a thatch of turf with cereal straw or reed. The floor was generally flagstones or packed earth and there was a central hearth for the fire. There was no chimney for the smoke to escape through. Instead the smoke made its way through the roof. This led to the soot blackening of the interior which may also have contributed to the adoption of name blackhouse.

The blackhouse was used to accommodate livestock as well as people. People lived at one end and the animals lived at the other with a partition between them.

This is the bit that doesn't make sense. If the thatch is waterproof, how on earth do people think smoke is making it's way through? Or put the other way, if smoke could escape, rain would come straight through it.

I spoke to the roofers this afternoon - they confirmed that there was definitely no smoke hole, but that what's been preserved has been done so because the conservation officer assessed that the smoke-blackened thatch and timbers were historically significant. They're hoping to do the new thatch on the new timbers in January.
    If you had a small hole in either gable just below the ridge, this would work as a rudimentary chimney.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

If you had a small hole in either gable just below the ridge, this would work as a rudimentary chimney.

"It either seeped out through the thatch or escaped at little vents in the ridge or gables. Smoke louvres are quite hard to spot at the best of times- they rarely survive!"
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Quite, but in this specific example that is precisely what it was being used for.
    I'm struggling to see how the combustion products of this particular plant might avoid the problems of any other combustion products, regardless of what else is in them.
  • webboo said:

that reminds me of the stat that only 6 people died in The Great Fire

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,588

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

"It either seeped out through the thatch or escaped at little vents in the ridge or gables. Smoke louvres are quite hard to spot at the best of times- they rarely survive!"
    That makes sense. I remember accidentally lighting my parents fire with the flue shut once and I find it hard to believe people lived with that as the norm!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

That makes sense. I remember accidentally lighting my parents fire with the flue shut once and I find it hard to believe people lived with that as the norm!
    Exactly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    Apparently Yeovilton and Dunkeswell are now in Dorset, according to the Telegraph. Top-notch journalism, as we expect from that esteemed organ.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    edited December 2023
    Where on earth has Madri beer come from?

Seems to have appeared from absolutely nowhere to filling 1/3rd of ever supermarket beer shelf.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,588

Seems to have appeared from absolutely nowhere to filling 1/3rd of ever supermarket beer shelf.

Madrí Excepcional is a unique collaboration between the brewers of La Sagra & Molson Coors, with all the taste characteristics of a modern European lager.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063

Seems to be the case every few years that some new 'European' beer becomes fashionable over here. I was the same with the likes of Peroni and Moretti. Maybe it will eventually be the turn of some decent Belgian stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2023
    I'd fly the flag for Vedett as basic b!tch as I am.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,507

Burton on Trent.

I can only apologise.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    edited December 2023
    Jezyboy said:

Burton on Trent.

I can only apologise.
    I went on a tour of the Fullers brewery, allegedly, the water they use goes through a process called 'Burtonisation' to optimise it for brewing.
    I might have to Google that because although I definitely heard it, before sampling the product, it sounds odd.

ETA: It is a thing, they add gypsum to the water to increase the sulphate content.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing_methods
  • rick_chasey

Jezyboy said:

Burton on Trent.

I can only apologise.
    I went on a tour of the Fullers brewery, allegedly, the water they use goes through a process called 'Burtonisation' to optimise it for brewing.
    I might have to Google that because although I definitely heard it, before sampling the product, it sounds odd.

ETA: It is a thing, they add gypsum to the water to increase the sulphate content.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing_methods
    However, excessive dosage must be avoided to prevent undesirable consequences, which could include a laxative effect.[15]
  • First.Aspect
    Fuller's - helps you clear out from both ends.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673

Fuller's - helps you clear out from both ends.

There is a thing we know as Pride aris', result of too much Burtonising it seems.
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.nu.nl/economie/6292591/steeds-meer-fulltimers-gaan-minder-werken-aantal-deeltijders-op-recordniveau.html

Netherlands is approaching the point where almost half of all workers are part-time workers.
  • First.Aspect

https://www.nu.nl/economie/6292591/steeds-meer-fulltimers-gaan-minder-werken-aantal-deeltijders-op-recordniveau.html

Netherlands is approaching the point where almost half of all workers are part-time workers.

It is as broad a definition 9f part time as possible,.yo generate an eye catching headline. Up to 36 hours.
  • briantrumpet

It is as broad a definition 9f part time as possible,.yo generate an eye catching headline. Up to 36 hours.

Especially if somewhere like France (IIRC) the working week is 35 hours...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    Why are posts on here showing to me as being made an hour into the future (e.g this will show as 9.08)? I assume something has happened with my location data. I’ve also noticed the thing is back where I have to decline cookies every few times I open the forum.