Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,197
    Yeah.

[Scratches head]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Intrigued me that on a business trip to Taipei in 1997 I found a lot of... Italian restaurants.

In a similar vein, I have been to both Sicily and Puglia in the last couple of years and was trivially intrigued to see Tenants Super on sale all over the place(s) - can't recall the last time I saw it on sale here.
    Always used to be available in mainline stations in London.
  • pinno

Intrigued me that on a business trip to Taipei in 1997 I found a lot of... Italian restaurants.

In a similar vein, I have been to both Sicily and Puglia in the last couple of years and was trivially intrigued to see Tenants Super on sale all over the place(s) - can't recall the last time I saw it on sale here.
    Along with Carlsberg export. Tramp fuel.
    I mean, my experiences of train station pubs and the clientele (in the UK) have never been exactly memorable.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,395
    Why people buy a camper than rather than a caravan then tow a car behind them.
  • pinno
    Why mobile homes and camper vans called 'Pegasus', 'Phoenix' and 'Freedom'.
    Especially when you're stuck doing 40 behind the f*ckers.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Pross said:

Easier to drive and you can park it anywhere
  • pinno
    What, and go even slower?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,160
    pinno said:

I mean, my experiences of train station pubs and the clientele (in the UK) have never been exactly memorable.
    How do you remember? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

How do you remember? 😉
    Funny.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Before I could drive I often used travel on the train. Leeds to Hull, Sheffield, Manchester. I used to love to go into the station bars people watching. What happened to the great British eccentrics.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

How do you remember? 😉
    Funny.

😂😂😂
    It made me laugh anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

Before I could drive I often used travel on the train. Leeds to Hull, Sheffield, Manchester. I used to love to go into the station bars people watching. What happened to the great British eccentrics.

Saw a guy coming up the escalator in Penn station in full scuba gear. Backwards obviously as he was wearing flippers. Never seen anyone come close in the UK.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

Saw a guy coming up the escalator in Penn station in full scuba gear. Backwards obviously as he was wearing flippers. Never seen anyone come close in the UK.
    TBF that is quite a high bar.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

The one I saw at Gatwick was an immaculately groomed, grey haired man coming up with escalators. He looked like the sort of City gent you see wearing a bowler hat and pin striped suit in old films. As the rest of him started to appear the picture changed and he was wearing a red PVC boob tube, red mini skirt, stockings and high heeled shoes.

The wife and kids who had just got off a transatlantic overnight flight with me didn’t notice leaving me wondering if I’d hallucinated but then a few months later I saw a story about them. They were a transvestite but weren’t allowed to wear their wig to go through border control.

I think someone in scuba gear wins though (as long as they had the tanks and mask on too).
  • pinno
    9 shark related fatalities in 2022.
    150 fatalities from Coconuts.

So you are more likely to die from a Coconut falling on your head than a Shark.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Yeah, Sharks falling on your head sounds unlikely to be fair.
  • Pross
    With high quality sun cream being one of the few things that has got cheaper in recent years why do so many people still seem incapable of stopping themselves getting badly sunburnt?

I know people will get caught out e.g left home in the morning when it was grey and cool then the sun came out or working outdoors and simply not noticing but there seems to be no excuse when you’ve actually set out with the purpose of lying on the beach in the sun (and letting your kids get burnt in that situation should be classed as child abuse).
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2023
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

webboo said:

The one I saw at Gatwick was an immaculately groomed, grey haired man coming up with escalators. He looked like the sort of City gent you see wearing a bowler hat and pin striped suit in old films. As the rest of him started to appear the picture changed and he was wearing a red PVC censored tube, red mini skirt, stockings and high heeled shoes.

The wife and kids who had just got off a transatlantic overnight flight with me didn’t notice leaving me wondering if I’d hallucinated but then a few months later I saw a story about them. They were a transvestite but weren’t allowed to wear their wig to go through border control.

I think someone in scuba gear wins though (as long as they had the tanks and mask on too).
    Good one!
    Can confirm tanks, mask and snorkel. Mask and mouthpiece in place.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    Pross said:

pinno said:

Yeah, Sharks falling on your head sounds unlikely to be fair.
    You mean Sharknado isn't real? :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,061
    pinno said:

I guess you haven't seen 'Sharknado' then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

when you get to your destination you can popout without stowing everything away
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

Same applies to a caravan? 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Exactly. If you’re towing a car it isn’t the type of trip a camper van was intended for.
  • pblakeney
    Some people’s level of trust.
    Not only did someone just get up on a train to go to the toilet leaving their laptop alone but it was open, on, and unlocked.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I know somebodywho has one and I asked him the question. When I see him next I will ask him why not a caravan.
  • pinno

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I know somebodywho has one and I asked him the question. When I see him next I will ask him why not a caravan.
    I suspect the answer is about towing and reversing a caravan. They are far more awkward than camper vans.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Maybe the camper is fine for some/most trips but you see them on the occasional one where they think they will also need a car.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I suspect the answer is about towing and reversing a caravan. They are far more awkward than camper vans.
    Pretty easy with those remote controls now though. I hate towing so either caravan or camper towing car would ruin my holiday.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Big vehicle towing little vehicle is easy towing.
    Normal size car towing massive caravan is less fun towing.
    Also with a camper van, you can literally stop at a beauty spot with all the comforts of kitchen and lounge to hand and ready to use.

A caravan is designed to move and then be set up. Not really beauty spot pull up and stop for a bit.

Never owned a camper van but see the appeal more than a caravan. Did caravan holidays as a kid. Always enjoyed them but don’t like towing them or horse trailers. A small camping trailer is unnoticeable though.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

It would be interesting to hear his reply but it’s only relevant if he tows a car. I’m assuming that he does?
    Veronese68 wrote: