Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

How the BBC manages to generate so many hours of TV out of the Chelsea Flower Show

It’s literally like watching plants grow.
  • morstar
    Genuinely wonder or sarcasm?

Its surprising to me. And definitely counter to what happened in covid when all sorts of socio economic reasons were explored for high mortality in minorities.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

How the BBC manages to generate so many hours of TV out of the Chelsea Flower Show

I think the top brass at the BBC live Ina remarkably small echo chamber which results in them devoting disproportionate amounts of scheduling to incredibly niche activities. See also Boat Race and Rugby Union.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    morstar said:

Genuinely wonder or sarcasm?

Its surprising to me. And definitely counter to what happened in covid when all sorts of socio economic reasons were explored for high mortality in minorities.
    Not being sarcastic
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561
    The enduring impacts of segregation and less equal access to healthcare would be my guesses.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    Ant McPartin. Affair to move divorce forward a bit faster. National treasure.

Philip Schofield. Consentual affair with younger colleague. Pariah. Fired, not even his lawyer or agent will work with him.

Why? Is it because it was same sex?
  • morstar

Philip Schofield. Consentual affair with younger colleague. Pariah. Fired, not even his lawyer or agent will work with him.

I always find the inconsistency in these things a bit weird.

Sean Walsh (comedian) was just seeing his career blossom when he did dancing show. Kissed his dance partner (literally once, no affair) and he got destroyed for it. Only just getting his career back on track now (a few years later).

There have been countless break ups over these paired up talent shows and it’s only ever a footnote. Why was he made a pariah?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,561

Is it because of the rumoured grooming element to the story.

What I find bizarre is that I think this all was on the verge of coming out at around the time of his big reveal about his sexuality, yet somehow years later it's all shocking news?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,751
    I was confused why he should be expected to tell his employers who he is sleeping with.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    I thought Schofield had got sacked because of a falling out with Willouby?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    Jezyboy said:

What I find bizarre is that I think this all was on the verge of coming out at around the time of his big reveal about his sexuality, yet somehow years later it's all shocking news?
    I appreciate that there's probably a bit more to come out about this. But even so, if it was a much younger woman I think there would be less moral outrage.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,002
    How cherries here can be less than half the price of tomatoes... cheapest this morning were 3€ a kilo, and the most expensive tomatoes 6.50€ a kilo.

Suffice to say I'm gorging on them now.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023

Jezyboy said:

I appreciate that there's probably a bit more to come out about this. But even so, if it was a much younger woman I think there would be less moral outrage.
    The rumours (which this far are accurate) are that there is more than one teenager (spot the plural in the accusation here)

There is also some suggestion Schofield got the runner he had an affair with sacked without divulging his romantic interest.
  • Pross
    A friend of mine’s cousin makes (or made) decent money each month from one of his kinks (nothing illegal but that most would find a bit odd).
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    I don't get this BBC reporting vibe of Mr Schofield having an affair with a work colleague. OMG! Really? That's never ever happened anywhere anytime ever.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

I don't get this BBC reporting vibe of Mr Schofield having an affair with a work colleague. OMG! Really? That's never ever happened anywhere anytime ever.

Well, it does divert attention from Spaffer's further embarrassment...

Though the question will be whether he was abusing his 'position of trust' with younger people, no matter what gender they are.

Having said that, I guess he's famous, has made his fortune out of his fame, and now that fame is coming back to bite him - in any other profession, it would have barely got a short paragraph in the Grimsby Gazette.
  • briantrumpet

Jezyboy said:

The rumours (which this far are accurate) are that there is more than one teenager (spot the plural in the accusation here)

There is also some suggestion Schofield got the runner he had an affair with sacked without divulging his romantic interest.

"Some suggestion" = someone's dropping unsubstantiated rumours. Let's not go down that path. And I think Holmes' "people" doesn't necessarily imply plural in this usage.
  • briantrumpet
    Mind you, having said that, I really don't care one way or the other... I only care if the media is amplifying this news over things that are more important, and that we can do something about (such as never ever having Johnson anywhere near a position of power & responsibility again).
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Jezyboy said:

Maybe it’s a family thing.
  • Pross

Jezyboy said:

Doesn’t seem to be much love lost there judging by that Tweet and the clip of Holmes discussing Schofield ‘stepping down’ on GB News that was played on HIGNFY last night (Holmes going to GB News had passed me by too).
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Jezyboy said:

Doesn’t seem to be much love lost there judging by that Tweet and the clip of Holmes discussing Schofield ‘stepping down’ on GB News that was played on HIGNFY last night (Holmes going to GB News had passed me by too).
    Is there anyone on GB News whose judgement can be trusted?
  • rick_chasey
    It’s why he and his wife left this morning.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

A friend of mine’s cousin makes (or made) decent money each month from one of his kinks (nothing illegal but that most would find a bit odd).

You make decent money from schofields kinks?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

Pross said:

• Pross

Pross said:

I don’t have the necessary assets for this one!
  • Pross
    Why does one side of the nose tend to get much more blocked than the other when you have a cold?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Why does one side of the nose tend to get much more blocked than the other when you have a cold?

Part of the nasal cycle. Your body naturally restricts one nostril and alternates every few hours.

Becomes more pronounced when you've got a cold as the vessels are already inflamed.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    edited May 2023

I mean, where do they think we're from?

What's "politically correct" about a basic statement of fact.

Or are these halfwits upset about being descended from immigrants?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,077
    rjsterry said:

I mean, where do they think we're from?

What's "politically correct" about a basic statement of fact.

Or are these halfwits upset about being descended from immigrants?

Them anglo saxons should go back to where they belong, coming over here in their boats…..