• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I once had a padded saddle cover before I first started riding 'properly' and it was hideously uncomfortable.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I accept that things are the way they are for a reason, I just don't know the reason and wonder the possibility of a "properly" padded saddle.
    Seriously, see above. Or try riding any distance on a padded saddle but wearing non padded shorts. It just isn't the same when the padding doesn't move.
    I'd rather not.
    I was just hoping for a better answer than "cos" to be able to explain to others.
    If the padding is in the shorts and moving with you, the friction is between the padding and the saddle.

If the padding is on the saddle then the friction is between the padding and you.
    If that it were so simple. The friction is always between your saddle and your shorts.
    Might finally be onto something. The soft padding cover will wear out. That'll do.
    Yes, and in one scenario there is padding between you and that friction.
    I'm happy with my conclusion whatever, but padding has nothing to do with friction.
    Padding is there for vibration etc. Friction can't be that significant with lycra anyway as I have a pair of regularly used bibs that are over 10 years old and yet to show significant signs of wear.

I'm not arguing this, I was just looking for an easy explanation for non-cyclists.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I once had a padded saddle cover before I first started riding 'properly' and it was hideously uncomfortable.

Oh, I don't doubt it. I accept that things are the way they are for a reason, I just don't know the reason and wonder the possibility of a "properly" padded saddle.
    Seriously, see above. Or try riding any distance on a padded saddle but wearing non padded shorts. It just isn't the same when the padding doesn't move.
    I'd rather not.
    I was just hoping for a better answer than "cos" to be able to explain to others.
    If the padding is in the shorts and moving with you, the friction is between the padding and the saddle.

If the padding is on the saddle then the friction is between the padding and you.
    If that it were so simple. The friction is always between your saddle and your shorts.
    Might finally be onto something. The soft padding cover will wear out. That'll do.
    I'm happy with my conclusion whatever, but padding has nothing to do with friction.
    Padding is there for vibration etc. Friction can't be that significant with lycra anyway as I have a pair of regularly used bibs that are over 10 years old and yet to show significant signs of wear.

I'm not arguing this, I was just looking for an easy explanation for non-cyclists.
    You are arguing this.

Foam can isolate from shear forces as well.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I'd rather not.

You are arguing this.

Want to put that into easy to understand terms for non-cyclists?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I'd rather not.

You are arguing this.

Want to put that into easy to understand terms for non-cyclists?
    No, because it's not a cycling specific term, so I could only put it in terms that a primary school child would understand. Would that help?
  • pblakeney
    Yes it would.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    Foam can squish side to side as well as up and down.
  • pblakeney
    "Adopts colleagues persona."
    Still can't see why it is different one side of the lycra to the other?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Driving on a smart bit of the M6 today.
    Overhead signs set to 60mph for many miles.
    At the end of section of roadworks that aren’t active (lots of cones about but all at sides of road) there is a national speed limit sign to signify the end of the roadworks.
    If I were to drive at 70 between that sign and the next overhead smart 60 mph sign, I think I would be legally driving at 70 mph.
    I suspect any cameras and plod would argue the opposite.
    I am intrigued how a court would rule. I’m convinced I could drive at 70 for that short stretch. I accept I’m not supposed to but the active sign I saw was national limit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pblakeney said:

Pretty hard to get a fabric to not rub when you move your leg without padding. The foamy padding can squish and change shape without rubbing.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

"I am starting to understand why you find even simple tasks so hard."

Would that go down okay?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Would that go down okay?
    Think I'll just settle for "Cos.".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Would that go down okay?

This does risk your colleague taking up cycling and then giving up because of chafing. Is that a concern?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    morstar said:

At the end of section of roadworks that aren’t active (lots of cones about but all at sides of road) there is a national speed limit sign to signify the end of the roadworks.
    If I were to drive at 70 between that sign and the next overhead smart 60 mph sign, I think I would be legally driving at 70 mph.
    I am intrigued how a court would rule. I’m convinced I could drive at 70 for that short stretch. I accept I’m not supposed to but the active sign I saw was national limit.

Signs and cameras should all be linked. If you past a sign showing national speed limit then it is legal to drive at 70 until another sign tells you something different.

I do sometimes wonder what would happen if it did go wrong though as I'm not sure how you could prove what the signs were showing unless you had dashcam footage.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    Thinking about it, I haven't had chafing since I can't even remember.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • morstar
    Pross said:

morstar said:

Signs and cameras should all be linked. If you past a sign showing national speed limit then it is legal to drive at 70 until another sign tells you something different.

I do sometimes wonder what would happen if it did go wrong though as I'm not sure how you could prove what the signs were showing unless you had dashcam footage.
    This was my thought process.
    Wouldn’t like to test it in court and stopping to take a picture for evidence could have been problematic. (Aswell as counter productive)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Would that go down okay?

This does risk your colleague taking up cycling and then giving up because of chafing. Is that a concern?
    Well, that’s exactly what they will do without a clear and compelling reason to do otherwise.
    Which is why I asked in the first place.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Would that go down okay?

Well, that’s exactly what they will do without a clear and compelling reason to do otherwise.
    I'm a big advocate of experience learning.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    edited July 2022

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Would that go down okay?
    HTML courses are free
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Would that go down okay?
    HTML courses are free
    Smart ar$e
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

You need to watch the GCN Tour coverage now, they are covering saddles for you. Here's another reason - less padding equals better power transfer.
  • Pross

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Would that go down okay?
    HTML courses are free
    Smart ar$e
    Is that the ultimate answer to PB's saddle query?
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    morstar said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

Wouldn’t like to test it in court and stopping to take a picture for evidence could have been problematic. (Aswell as counter productive)
    I always though there was some super duper connectivity and world beating technology that automatically calculated your average speed while simultaneously posting your fine.

Then someone told me there was actually some dude sat in a portacabin watching the cameras ( sometimes they’re not even there.)

Someone I know has gone through the average cameras to the first fixed camera at (ahem) 70mph and didn’t receive anything through the post. Maybe they were lucky!
  • morstar
    mully79 said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

I always though there was some super duper connectivity and world beating technology that automatically calculated your average speed while simultaneously posting your fine.

Then someone told me there was actually some dude sat in a portacabin watching the cameras ( sometimes they’re not even there.)

Someone I know has gone through the average cameras to the first fixed camera at (ahem) 70mph and didn’t receive anything through the post. Maybe they were lucky!
    I have always assumed it’s automated. Which is why the situation intrigued me.
    Assuming it is automated and the cameras clocked your average above 60, it would be incorrect to be fined as there was a national speed limit sign (static end of roadworks type) that clearly wouldn’t have been factored in.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    The cameras are capable of being automated but it doesn’t mean they are. As long as there are enough sheeple to self police the threat is enough !

Everyone’s seen that one car blasting through at 70mph.
  • First.Aspect
    I am intrigued that cycle helmets were made aero by covering up the vents, and now they've achieved that, they are making them better ventilated by putting vents in them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377

I am intrigued that cycle helmets were made aero by covering up the vents, and now they've achieved that, they are making them better ventilated by putting vents in them.

Surely that's just changing stuff so people feel like they have to replace their 'old' unvented lid.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Surely that's just changing stuff so people feel like they have to replace their 'old' unvented lid.
    God you are so cynical. I have a 10 year old aero ventilated, ventilated aero helmet.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Next you'll be telling me that the ludicrous proliferation of 637 different BB 'standards' represents a great leap forward in engineering.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    rjsterry said:

Next you'll be telling me that the ludicrous proliferation of 637 different BB 'standards' represents a great leap forward in engineering.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    edited July 2022
    rjsterry said:

Well now you come to mention it, the press fit bottom bracket improved stiffness over threaded bottom brackets, and they've since solved the creaking problem by threading the press fit ones in.

Progress.