Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Ben6899 said:

Pross said:

Oh, and the other issue is you end up with HGVs driving millimetres off your bumper - they seem incapable of understanding you are driving to the limit and as they are able to drive at the same speed they won't give any space so I tend to go in lane 3 out of their way.

Had this - with the HGVs - driving north on Sunday.
    I really don't get it, there was one I saw last week and it must have been less than a metre off the car in front. As a driver I would be nervously hovering over the brakes in a car if for any reason I had to do that, if I'm driving a car and an HGV driver is doing that to me I'll be leaving a huge gap in front so I don't have to test his reactions. It's not like they are going to get anywhere if they bully you out of the way.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    HGVs shouldn't be on the roads on Sundays anyway, IMO. Seems to work in mainland Europe without affecting supermarket shelves or petrol stations.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

Every time I am on one of these 50 stretches, the majority will be doing 50 or a hair over (much better adherence than to a 70 limit with normal cameras), and then you'll get the odd person just completely ignoring it going something over 60.

This always intrigues me.

They don't understand how average speed cameras work. Is my take.
    About 56 on your car speedo equals 52 on GPS.

78 about 72/73.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,548
    I seem to recall that around 5% of drivers on the road are unlicensed/uninsured so presumably the number plate wouldn't help identify them on an ANPR camera.
    Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

Every time I am on one of these 50 stretches, the majority will be doing 50 or a hair over (much better adherence than to a 70 limit with normal cameras), and then you'll get the odd person just completely ignoring it going something over 60.

• Ben6899
    edited September 2021

Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

78 about 72/73.

This is certainly the case, but you see plenty at >60mph in 50mph zones who brake every time they see the overhead yellow speed camera. Pretty certain they think they're being clocked at every one and then an average is being taken*.

*rather than the reality of it being a timed section of road, underpinned by GCSE maths/physics.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Ben6899 said:

HGVs shouldn't be on the roads on Sundays anyway, IMO. Seems to work in mainland Europe without affecting supermarket shelves or petrol stations.

We exist in a 24/7 just in time model.
    We are currently seeing how little it takes to break that model.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

It (taking HGVs off the roads on Sundays without everyone starving or getting stranded without fuel) is totally doable. We're like the bleedin' Third World compared to most of Europe.

It's embarrassing and I hate living here.
    Ben

• Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

78 about 72/73.

This is certainly the case, but you see plenty at >60mph in 50mph zones who brake every time they see the overhead yellow speed camera. Pretty certain they think they're being clocked at every one and then an average is being taken*.

*rather than the reality of it being a timed section of road, underpinned by GCSE maths/physics.
    Ah yes. The question would be over what stretch is the average taken? Sometimes you get held up in the accordian-type traffic which means you can blast for a bit (utterly pointless, I know) - should you wind it back once you get to the next yellow camera, or milk it a bit longer?
  • pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

maybe individuals need to stop working on a just in time basis and build some resilience into their household planning?

ie if you could not leave the house for ten days and no online deliveries do you have enough supplies to comfortably survive.

If the electric goes off do you have torches and candles and know where to find them?

Elderley relatives unexpectedly come to stay for the weekend, do you have enough extra toilet paper?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

maybe individuals need to stop working on a just in time basis and build some resilience into their household planning?

ie if you could not leave the house for ten days and no online deliveries do you have enough supplies to comfortably survive.

If the electric goes off do you have torches and candles and know where to find them?

Elderley relatives unexpectedly come to stay for the weekend, do you have enough extra toilet paper?
    In my case, yes to all of the above.
    I was referring to industry though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

No problem. My parents are remainers so they don't use toilet paper as, according to the forum, all they do is wet the bed anyway.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,548
    https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/160228/average-speed-cameras-how-do-they-work
    =============================================
    Individual cameras don't have the facility to measure vehicle speed – a car must pass a second camera for its average speed to be calculated. In a sequence of multiple cameras, it is at the discretion of the local enforcement agency as to whether cameras work in pairs or in larger groups.
    =============================================
  • Good that, thanks Monki
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Would require supermarkets etc. to be completely remodelled though as their on-site storage is built around that model. We're committed to it now, no doubt based on consumer demand at the start of this century when supermarkets were expanding massively. I suspect the same would apply in things like car making - where do all the spares get stored until their needed? Another problem would be likely to be that suppliers don't get paid until the person sells the end product so if they are supplying components weeks or months in advance then their cash flow would be messed up even more.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Would require supermarkets etc. to be completely remodelled though as their on-site storage is built around that model. We're committed to it now, no doubt based on consumer demand at the start of this century when supermarkets were expanding massively. I suspect the same would apply in things like car making - where do all the spares get stored until their needed? Another problem would be likely to be that suppliers don't get paid until the person sells the end product so if they are supplying components weeks or months in advance then their cash flow would be messed up even more.
    The system is shiite but as we're committed to it we are stuck with it?
    Brilliant. Just brilliant. Can everyone stop moaning then cos things won't change.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Can everyone stop moaning then cos things won't change.
    How would you change it? Do you see supermarkets giving up all the extra aisle space they've built in over the last 20 odd years to accommodate a wider range of produce? After all, according to some on here being 'basic' in your food buying habits is something to be looked down on so it is quite ironic that they are being let down by a system that supposedly helps allow increased choice.

If the consumer demand moves to availability over diversity then things may change I guess.

The system was working fairly well until the Government decided we had to sabotage it.
  • Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

How would you change it? Do you see supermarkets giving up all the extra aisle space they've built in over the last 20 odd years to accommodate a wider range of produce? After all, according to some on here being 'basic' in your food buying habits is something to be looked down on so it is quite ironic that they are being let down by a system that supposedly helps allow increased choice.

If the consumer demand moves to availability over diversity then things may change I guess.

The system was working fairly well until the Government decided we had to sabotage it.
    Or consumers take responsibility and build resilience into their own household by holding reserves of food so they are not operating their own JIT policy on food
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

We have some average speed cameras near us on the A217 and many people speed, i do wonder
    a) if anyone ever gets a ticket on that stretch and
    b) over that stretch there are about 3 roundabouts, which you have to slow down for. How / does the average speed calculator deal with that?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    elbowloh said:

Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

We have some average speed cameras near us on the A217 and many people speed, i do wonder
    b) over that stretch there are about 3 roundabouts, which you have to slow down for. How / does the average speed calculator deal with that?
    In a roundabout sort of way
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Or consumers take responsibility and build resilience into their own household by holding reserves of food so they are not operating their own JIT policy on food
    Don't most people do that? Most people I know do a big weekly shop, will have freezers full of food and cupboards conatining longer life goods such as tinned or dry food then do smaller shops to top up their fresh stuff. There's obviously a bit of a restriction though as the shelf life of so much stuff bought in supermarkets seems very short (and I mean the actual shelf life rather than a 'best before' date). I'm not a slave to the dates on products but it feels that a lot of fresh fruit and veg we buy (fruit in particular) is going moldy with 3 or 4 days. There's also the limited freezer / fridge / shelf space in people's kitchens to consider. When I had space for a chest freezer we used to do a monthly main shop with a top up of fresh as needed but I no longer have space for a large freezer.
  • Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

• pblakeney
    Pross said:

The system is always on a knife edge. The slightest thing can break it.
    The current solution is panic, make it worse, get over it, forget it until the next time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    edited September 2021
    elbowloh said:

Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

You normally have a camera before any junctions otherwise you could speed along if you are leaving somewhere between the start and end of the section.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Ben6899 said:

pangolin said:

Or cloned plates.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    There are absolutely drivers who you see speeding through average speed sections - easily 10-20% of drivers - how are they not getting fined?
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    For completeness. There’s the 50mph zone at Newport. A 50mph zone heading out of Wrexham, a 60mph zone of the M1 at Sheffield and the viaduct on the M5 is now 60mph for air quality. Sheffield and the M5 bit do not have average speed cameras for enforcement.

I’ve driven through the M6 average speed roadworks (40mile) for months and on end at 64mph on the speedo.(61 mph on gps) There has to be significant leeway above that as there are corners and taking the racing line is kind of possible by swapping lanes and making distance shorter.
    I’m not prepared to go much faster than that but I’m rarely overtaken and regularly held up.

The trucks seem to be able to run a gps 50mph and that’s why they bully drivers in the 50mph zones but the taco/limiter must get in the way in the 60mph zones as I usually can leave them behind.
  • Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

is that better same or worse that Fray Bentos steak and kidnet suet pudding?
  • Pross

There are absolutely drivers who you see speeding through average speed sections - easily 10-20% of drivers - how are they not getting fined?

How do you know they aren't?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    pblakeney said:

Powdered milk...

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2021
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Powdered milk...

Adapt to not using milk. First world problem. 😉
    PS - Have you seen the use by dates on milk these days? 10 days is fine. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote: