Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,655
    pinno said:

We are not child friendly in the UK.
    Whenever I go abroad, there's a tangible feeling of acceptance. A sort of freedom.

When my first born was checked for a possible (inherited condition) displaced hip, on leaving the hospital, we went to THE BANK BAR AND TAPAS IN DUMFRIES (YOU B4STRDS).
    As a baby, she was placid, didn't cry too much and was generally happy and smiling . She was fast asleep and then we were asked to leave because we had a baby with us.
    I asked why and they said 'it was because of the licensing laws'. Bollox. Went across the road to another venue (they did serve too alcohol) and we were treated like Kings.

In Portugal, we went to a seafood Restaurant in Armacao de Pera and they bent over backwards to make the girls happy. In Barcelona, they were given fruit for free at the Boqueria de las Ramblas and also at the indoor market in old town Lisbon.
    In Lisbon, they turned a blind eye to them on public transport - we hardly ever paid for them. There was an age limit but they were well beyond that. 3 and under go free.

In the UK, they are considered an inconvenience. I've heard this too many times: "Children are like farts, you can barely stand your own". If you really feel like that, you should not have had children. I love my children and I like kids. If some place cannot or fail to accommodate them, they can go stuff themselves the crusty fcuking w@nkers.

So herendeth the rant.

The flip side is that when you travel abroad, you can hear the British families from a great distance.

Acceptance works both ways. If families accept that their offspring can in theory be disruptive to others and try to minimise that, then others are likely to be more tolerant of offspring.

In the UK all too often the presumption is that all others are obliged to tolerate your offspring no matter what they are doing.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,980
    Pross said:

If you want to feel young even in your late 50s, come to Topsham. You could get a nice 3-bedroom house for £1.5m

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/102274049#/

I was there on a site visit a few weeks ago (one of the new estates by the golf academy).

Ah, you're in cahoots with those rapacious developers who are destroying the green space between Topsham and Exeter. (TBH, it's remarkable it's last so long.)

Bring a bike the next time, if you want a short guided tour!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623

pinno said:

Whenever I go abroad, there's a tangible feeling of acceptance. A sort of freedom.

When my first born was checked for a possible (inherited condition) displaced hip, on leaving the hospital, we went to THE BANK BAR AND TAPAS IN DUMFRIES (YOU B4STRDS).
    As a baby, she was placid, didn't cry too much and was generally happy and smiling . She was fast asleep and then we were asked to leave because we had a baby with us.
    I asked why and they said 'it was because of the licensing laws'. Bollox. Went across the road to another venue (they did serve too alcohol) and we were treated like Kings.

In Portugal, we went to a seafood Restaurant in Armacao de Pera and they bent over backwards to make the girls happy. In Barcelona, they were given fruit for free at the Boqueria de las Ramblas and also at the indoor market in old town Lisbon.
    In Lisbon, they turned a blind eye to them on public transport - we hardly ever paid for them. There was an age limit but they were well beyond that. 3 and under go free.

In the UK, they are considered an inconvenience. I've heard this too many times: "Children are like farts, you can barely stand your own". If you really feel like that, you should not have had children. I love my children and I like kids. If some place cannot or fail to accommodate them, they can go stuff themselves the crusty fcuking w@nkers.

So herendeth the rant.

The flip side is that when you travel abroad, you can hear the British families from a great distance.

Acceptance works both ways. If families accept that their offspring can in theory be disruptive to others and try to minimise that, then others are likely to be more tolerant of offspring.

In the UK all too often the presumption is that all others are obliged to tolerate your offspring no matter what they are doing.
    See also, dogs.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Pross said:

If you want to feel young even in your late 50s, come to Topsham. You could get a nice 3-bedroom house for £1.5m

I was there on a site visit a few weeks ago (one of the new estates by the golf academy).
    10 pubs all within walking distance of each other
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

10 pubs all within walking distance of each other

Hmm, used to be... let me think... seems it's only seven now, but who cares when one of them is The Bridge Inn?

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/topsham-10-pub-crawl-exeter-2003750

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I admire your optimism that the retirement age won't be in the 70s in 30-40 years time.

Longevity is stalling so can’t see that happening.
    Longevity might not be but fertility is.
    They will have to think of something less blunt than raising the retirement age. To give manual workers a chance they could make it 50 years in the workplace.

I still think that public sector pensions will be a bigger affordability issue thanthe state pension
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,789
    Yeah. This will all be blown out the water when the populists get a critical mass in Europe. Then who knows what will happen
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

I admire your optimism that the retirement age won't be in the 70s in 30-40 years time.

And no one is making you work til that age. Just be clever with your money and you'll be fine, if you want to hang up your brogues at 60.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,679

They will have to think of something less blunt than raising the retirement age. To give manual workers a chance they could make it 50 years in the workplace.

I still think that public sector pensions will be a bigger affordability issue thanthe state pension
    Not keen on the 50 years of work idea.
  • surrey_commuter
    Ben6899 said:

And no one is making you work til that age. Just be clever with your money and you'll be fine, if you want to hang up your brogues at 60.
    you would be amazed at the % of the popuation for whom that is not even a distant dream as the state pension will make up nearly the entirety of their post retirement income.
  • surrey_commuter

Two thirds of the people I went to school with left school at 16 so you would just be matching their toil.

As Ben suggests above, we are only discussing when you can claim your state pension, you would be free to hang up your brogues whenever you want.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,789
    edited June 2021
    Ben6899 said:

With the way wages are stagnating, en masse this is going to be more difficult than it was for current 60 year olds.
  • TheBigBean

Two thirds of the people I went to school with left school at 16 so you would just be matching their toil.

As Ben suggests above, we are only discussing when you can claim your state pension, you would be free to hang up your brogues whenever you want.
    If you allow me my three NI credits from going to sixth form, I think I wouldn't get my pension until I was around 74. Now that might be fair, but I'm still not keen on it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,641

I left school at 16, straight into a local Government pension school with dreams of retiring at 56 on the maximum pension and maybe do what a lot of the older people I was working with back then did - come back on a part-time contract working whatever hours it was they were allowed to do without impacting on the pension. Unfortunately, after leaving for the bright lights of the private sector after 8 years I'll now be lucky to retire at 66.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben6899 said:

you would be amazed at the % of the popuation for whom that is not even a distant dream as the state pension will make up nearly the entirety of their post retirement income.

I know, but my advice was tailored to Rick. Guessing he has a decent job and pension.

I might be wrong!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • surrey_commuter

If you allow me my three NI credits from going to sixth form, I think I wouldn't get my pension until I was around 74. Now that might be fair, but I'm still not keen on it.
    you should check out the website, they are remarkably generous in what they consider to be a full year's contribution.

you can also go back six years to top up incomplete years
  • TheBigBean

you should check out the website, they are remarkably generous in what they consider to be a full year's contribution.

you can also go back six years to top up incomplete years
    I've just checked. 73 assuming no further gaps. I managed to get 4 years of credits for 3.25 years of work which makes it sound like I planned it well.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,410

pinno said:

So herendeth the rant.

It is without doubt that many parents are part of the self entitlement brigade and let their kids do what the hell they like.
    I am not one of them.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pinno said:

pinno said:

So herendeth the rant.

It is without doubt that many parents are part of the self entitlement brigade and let their kids do what the hell they like.
    I am not one of them.

There was one pub we used to go to that had a huge garden with playground equipment and parents just let their kids run around with no supervision, just sat drinking at their own tables. One 4 year old managed to climb through a whole in a fence, through the trees and into a car park out back. Parent finally comes along and realises kid is missing and all hell breaks loose. Goes on a massive rant at the staff, blaming them and saying the pub isn't secure and they should be fenced in better. I kid you not.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,350
    There's a pub near here that got done up a few years back. Two families were eating together, kids at one table, adults at another. Kids were running riot, jumping on the furniture and screaming. One of the older locals asked the adults to control their children. I'd have been mortified, not that I would have ever let it get like that my response from the adults was "this is the new demographic you'd better get used to it". The next day the pub put up a notice spelling out that kids had to sit with their parents and behave. The fact that it needed to be written is appalling. Old git mode, a lot of people are too selfish to have children.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    edited June 2021

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet

There's a pub near here that got done up a few years back. Two families were eating together, kids at one table, adults at another. Kids were running riot, jumping on the furniture and screaming. One of the older locals asked the adults to control their children. I'd have been mortified, not that I would have ever let it get like that my response from the adults was "this is the new demographic you'd better get used to it". The next day the pub put up a notice spelling out that kids had to sit with their parents and behave. The fact that it needed to be written is appalling. Old git mode, a lot of people are too selfish to have children.

They should have cats instead. Let 'em out of the back door and they can go and poop in other people's gardens. They'd probably get away with cats doing it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,737

They should have cats instead. Let 'em out of the back door and they can go and poop in other people's gardens. They'd probably get away with cats doing it.
    Get a cat yourself. They are pretty territorial, so after a few stand-offs there will be an agreement on boundaries. Obviously you need a cat that will not take any s*** from Fluffy next door and is well toilet trained for this to work.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    edited June 2021
    rjsterry said:

Get a cat yourself. They are pretty territorial, so after a few stand-offs there will be an agreement on boundaries. Obviously you need a cat that will not take any s*** from Fluffy next door and is well toilet trained for this to work.

I'd prefer a CNPT (Cat Non-Proliferation Treaty), and I'll promise not to go into neighbours' gardens and dig up their flower beds to use as a toilet. I'm past that now.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

I'd prefer a CNPT (Cat Non-Proliferation Treaty), and I'll promise not to go into neighbours' gardens and dig up their flower beds to use as a toilet. I'm past that now.
    We have 4. I can assure you they use our garden as a toilet. The gravel paths for example. I don't see it as any different from all of the hedgy poo and guano we get. At least they leave my car alone.

• First.Aspect
    pinno said:

pinno said:

So herendeth the rant.

I am not one of them.

No, but I bet I'd anyone dared to ask your family to be a little quieter, there'd be a scuffle.

Anyhow, you parents are all the same. Just like cyclists. They are all the same. And BMW drivers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,737

rjsterry said:

I'll take cat poo in the borders over runny fox turds on the doormat any day. Also, they keep the mice down.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,410

No, but I bet I'd anyone dared to ask your family to be a little quieter, there'd be a scuffle.

Wot yer sayin' like?

Anyhow, you parents are all the same.

No.

And BMW drivers.

Agreed.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    I think that Nadderwater near Exeter is the only place name that preserves an English word that has since been changed by false splitting: 'a nadder' became 'an adder' (in the same way that 'humble pie' can from 'a numble pie').

Here's a longer list.

adder: Middle English a naddre ("a snake") taken for an addre.
    aitchbone: Middle English a nachebon ("a buttock bone") taken for an hach boon.
    another, formed by combining "an other" into one word, is sometimes colloquially split into "a nother" and a qualifier inserted as in "a whole nother issue".
    apron: Middle English a napron taken for an apron.
    auger: Middle English a nauger taken for an auger.
    decoy: Most commonly thought to stem from Dutch de kooi, in which de is the definite article and kooi means cage. An alternative theory is that the Dutch compound noun eendenkooi, earlier spelled eendekooi, meaning "duck decoy", from eend "duck" + kooi, was reanalyzed and split, in the process of being transferred to English, as een dekooi, in which een is the Dutch indefinite article.
    eyas: Middle English a niyas (from French niais from Late Latin nidiscus (from Latin nidus = "nest")) taken for an eias.
    humble pie: Middle English a numble taken for an umble (ultimately from Latin lumbulus, this is also an example of homorganicness).
    lone: Middle English al one (all one) taken for a-lone.
    newt: Middle English an eute (cognate with eft) taken for a neute.
    nickname: Middle English an eke name ("an additional name") taken for a neke name.
    the nonce: Middle English, for old English þen ānes (the one [occasion]).
    nuncle (dialectal form of uncle): Middle English mine uncle taken for my nuncle.
    omelette: Seventeenth-century English loanword from French, developed there via earlier forms amelette, alemette and alemelle from la lemelle ("the omelette") taken for l'alemelle; ultimately from Latin lamella ("blade"), perhaps because of the thin shape of the omelette (SOED).
    ought ["zero"]: Middle English a nought ("a nothing") taken for an ought. Ultimately distinct from Old English naught ("nothing"), of complex and convergent etymology, from na ("not") and wight ("living thing, man"), but cf. aught ("anything", "worthy", etc.), itself ultimately from aye ("ever") and wight (SOED).
    tother: Middle English (now dialectal) that other taken for the tother.
    umpire: Middle English a noumpere taken for an oumpere.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    An other was still is common use when I started school.
    The was a few fortnights ago though. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.