Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,322
    Pross said:

Because some people find aluminium hard to pronounce and spell, steel is easy. Titanium is fancy and they want you to know it.
    Just a theory, I don't think I have ever referred to an ali bike as alloy.

I've only ever heard it to distinguish what was then a normal wheel material, steel, from a fancy lightweight "alloy" wheel only used by cyclists who advertise breakfast cereal.
    I'm seeing it regularly on Facebook bike groups "should I go for a titanium, steel or alloy frame" or one I saw this morning where someone's bottle cage bolts had seized and one person's sage advice was "avoid alloy bolts".
    Titanium bolts have decent tensile strength I hear.

***THREAD CROSSOVER ALERT*** ***THREADCROSSOVERALERT***

'Alloy' whatever, 'Mericanism innit.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Because some people find aluminium hard to pronounce and spell, steel is easy. Titanium is fancy and they want you to know it.

I've only ever heard it to distinguish what was then a normal wheel material, steel, from a fancy lightweight "alloy" wheel only used by cyclists who advertise breakfast cereal.
    I'm seeing it regularly on Facebook bike groups "should I go for a titanium, steel or alloy frame" or one I saw this morning where someone's bottle cage bolts had seized and one person's sage advice was "avoid alloy bolts".

Surely you would only avoid aluminium bolts (who has ever seen these outside a greenhouse?) in a steel frame.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    pinno said:

Pross said:

...I joined a few cycling groups recently for a bit of advice and that's where I saw these comments.

And that 'advice' is better than what you get on here?!

Gravel bike related including one local one that's good for route ideas. I'll probably leave the non-local ones though as they are a bit like a combination of Road General and Road Beginners on here "which bike" followed by recommendations of whatever the respondent rides "which tyre" people asking for the best mechanical disc brake option and being told to go for hydraulic. Usual shite.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Surely you would only avoid aluminium bolts (who has ever seen these outside a greenhouse?) in a steel frame.
    My C40 had 4 bottle cage mounts with... 4 sheered Alu bottle cage bolts inside them when I bought it very second hand.
  • Pross
    The amount of drivers who seem unable to follow arrows the correct way around a car park. I'm sat in services and just watched 4 cars on the trot leave the wrong way (oddly the right way would have been far more direct too!).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,571
    I hardly ever drive, but when I do, I usually park in one of the completely empty places that are at most 50m away from the entrance to the service stations/shops. I like the easy parking, easy door opening etc. Everyone else seems to value saving that 50m walk. That intrigues me.
  • Pross

I hardly ever drive, but when I do, I usually park in one of the completely empty places that are at most 50m away from the entrance to the service stations/shops. I like the easy parking, easy door opening etc. Everyone else seems to value saving that 50m walk. That intrigues me.

I do the same but usually still come back to find someone has parked next to me with barely enough room for me to open my door
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589

so the toddler doesn't have to walk as far
  • Pross

Cue lots of 'when I was a toddler my parents walked me miles up the mountain' stories.

That's what parent & child spaces are for surely?

The ultimate irony is people who do it at the gym, sometimes even using disabled spaces, then spend an hour on a treadmill
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross said:

I do the same but usually still come back to find someone has parked next to me with barely enough room for me to open my door
    I can explain that, when i am hungover or still drunk I find it a lot easier to park when I have another car to line up with. If stoned chosing one out of two hundred empty spaces is virtually impossible so it is easier to park next to somebody else
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Pross said:

The ultimate irony is people who do it at the gym, sometimes even using disabled spaces, then spend an hour on a treadmill

It cheered me up when some knob got himself in the local paper complaining getting stuck in an epic traffic jam, when he was wanting to drive three miles to the gym to do a spin class.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Pross said:

Cue lots of 'when I was a toddler my parents walked me miles up the mountain' stories.

My favourite anecdote about this as when living in a tower block apartment with a health spa in the basement one girl would get the lift down and up to spend her time primarily on the stair master. Made me smile every time.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

They people park in disabled spaces not out of laziness, but from being an utter cnut.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

They people park in disabled spaces not out of laziness, but from being an utter cnut.
    I've left notes on windscreens reminding them it's a parent and child or disabled space.
    When the toots were small, it was a PITA if I couldn't get a P&C space and vexing of some chav/boy racer/lazy basket had occupied one
  • rick_chasey
    I'd also add with my feeble cyclist arms if I have to carry anything to a car I would rather have it nearer the shop too.
  • rick_chasey
    There are always far too many disabled spots (in that I've never seen them even remotely full up) and far too few child & parent spots. I have often thought about this and came to the conclusion that for disabled people it can be really quite problematic so best for them to always have a space.

• Pross

There are always far too many disabled spots (in that I've never seen them even remotely full up) and far too few child & parent spots. I have often thought about this and came to the conclusion that for disabled people it can be really quite problematic so best for them to always have a space.

Disabled parking allocation is covered in planning guidance. Parent and child parking is just something shops etc. provide to encourage people to use their store. I've never fully understood who it's intended for either - single parents with a toddler / baby, family with young children, the maximum age they intend a child to be - they're not enforceable in any way but if they were could me and the wife have parked there when my daughter was 15 (could my parents park there if I was in their car!)?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pross said:

Disabled parking allocation is covered in planning guidance. Parent and child parking is just something shops etc. provide to encourage people to use their store. I've never fully understood who it's intended for either - single parents with a toddler / baby, family with young children, the maximum age they intend a child to be - they're not enforceable in any way but if they were could me and the wife have parked there when my daughter was 15 (could my parents park there if I was in their car!)?

The self entitled?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Pross said:

And this…

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

I believe the purpose of them is for when kids are in car seats and it is helpful to be able to open the doors fully. They are also close to the entrance, so highly prized by everyone except me, and I have young kids.

• rick_chasey
    I am in hospital to get my wrist checked by the surgeon and I am absolutely the only patient here amongst maybe 15 who is under the pension age.

Obvious but it’s quite stark when you see it with your own eyes.
  • TheBigBean
    Some people like to be seen in gyms more than they actually want to do any exercise. A friend of mine could never understand the point of women's only time as her sole purpose of being there was to watch muscular men.
  • Pross

Some people like to be seen in gyms more than they actually want to do any exercise. A friend of mine could never understand the point of women's only time as her sole purpose of being there was to watch muscular men.

The hotel based ones are the worst, I was a member of one for a while and people would maybe do a very gentle swim or walk on the treadmill then sit in the sauna and / or jacuzzi before heading off to the bar for a few drinks and some high calorie food. This would be classed as 'going to the gym'. I was a regular at Pure Gym for a few years and that was mainly people who were serious about getting fit, no distractions like saunas, pools or hot tubs let alone a bar / cafe. There would still be some that would turn up and spend an hour walking on a treadmill chatting to their mate though, I always struggled to understand why someone would pay money to do that when it would be far more enjoyable doing it out in a park or the countryside.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

I am in hospital to get my wrist checked by the surgeon and I am absolutely the only patient here amongst maybe 15 who is under the pension age.

you are obsessed by division by age

In all seriousness last time I was at a hospital it felt like I had walked into Wetherspoons by mistake
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    The answer to all of the gym related amusment is convenience.

Also - does depend on why are you are going - get get fit, or to look good.
  • Pross

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Old people get ill more often or are more likely to have falls resulting in broken bones? That's hardly surprising.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

In all seriousness last time I was at a hospital it felt like I had walked into Wetherspoons by mistake
    Last time I was in A&E after my stitches came loose, a family waiting there ordered Domino's.
  • briantrumpet

I think Rick needs to take up a pastime where most of the participants are in their teens or early 20s. Apart from working at McDonalds, I'm not sure what to suggest....
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

The hotel based ones are the worst, I was a member of one for a while and people would maybe do a very gentle swim or walk on the treadmill then sit in the sauna and / or jacuzzi before heading off to the bar for a few drinks and some high calorie food. This would be classed as 'going to the gym'. I was a regular at Pure Gym for a few years and that was mainly people who were serious about getting fit, no distractions like saunas, pools or hot tubs let alone a bar / cafe. There would still be some that would turn up and spend an hour walking on a treadmill chatting to their mate though, I always struggled to understand why someone would pay money to do that when it would be far more enjoyable doing it out in a park or the countryside.
    This. I tried them (Pure Gym, as it was next to the office), but hated it. We also had Hampstead Heath behind the office, which just seemed preferable even in the rain.

I tried spin class also, what a load of shite that was, making you cycle in weird positions that put horrible stresses on your knees and doing funny things with your arms.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    elbowloh said:

weird positions that put horrible stresses on your knees and doing funny things with your arms.

Isn't that what dancing is for?