Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

Followed a guy up a reasonably long hill today going at very similar speeds.
    Was surprised that every time he stood on the pedals I closed up to him quite rapidly before he sat down and pulled away again.
    I am a very metronomic seated climber and was quite intrigued by this pattern.

I'm the opposite. If I don't stand on the pedals, I loose speed but I often change up before doing so.
    I know the contemporary emphasis is on cadence but when you've been doing it old school for so long, it's hard to change.
    But, it's prep for when I get older and more feeble.
    Isn't that right Blakey?
    Out of the saddle in the biggest gear possible was my (flawed) technique 30 years ago.
    I now only get out of the saddle if I'm on a 15%+ in bottom gear (34-29) or my rear needs a rest/change of rhythm. But yes, change up a couple of gears if getting out of the saddle.
    *There's not much 'flat' here.

So my pedalling style has, 'evolved' shall we say.
    Given that my first bikes were 42/52 and the smallest at the rear, 25. I couldn't imagine riding on those gears now.
    Agreed, stupid gearing for non-racers back in the day. Plenty hills around here at 10%+, one hits 16% 1-1/2 miles from my door. I regularly use the 34x29. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

Was surprised that every time he stood on the pedals I closed up to him quite rapidly before he sat down and pulled away again.

I'm the opposite. If I don't stand on the pedals, I loose speed but I often change up before doing so.
    I know the contemporary emphasis is on cadence but when you've been doing it old school for so long, it's hard to change.
    Isn't that right Blakey?
    Out of the saddle in the biggest gear possible was my (flawed) technique 30 years ago.
    I now only get out of the saddle if I'm on a 15%+ in bottom gear (34-29) or my rear needs a rest/change of rhythm. But yes, change up a couple of gears if getting out of the saddle.
    34 x 27 is my smallest and i'm rarely in it.
    I think I pay more attention to cadence than mph nowadays. I average 87+ on a flat(ish*) ride and 79 to 82 on a hilly ride.

Given that my first bikes were 42/52 and the smallest at the rear, 25. I couldn't imagine riding on those gears now.
    You are all mashers.

On a steady climb I'm 80-85 over a whole ride low 90s average.

If you are in a good rythm and just getting out of the saddle to stretch, your cadence need not drop.
  • pblakeney

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

Isn't that right Blakey?
    I think I pay more attention to cadence than mph nowadays. I average 87+ on a flat(ish*) ride and 79 to 82 on a hilly ride.

You are all mashers.

If you are in a good rythm and just getting out of the saddle to stretch, your cadence need not drop.
    Curious about your cadence, gears and speed going up 15%?
    I have no choice but to mash. I dream of 80 RPM on 34x29. This is why I don't race. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I used to have a bottom gear of 42 x 21 so 2:1, I now have 34 x 32 and it feels just as hard but I'm going even slower. When I eventually got a compact I had visions of sitting in the saddle spinning up gradients as you read people mentioning a lot on Road General / Road Beginners but the reality is short bursts out of the saddle to keep momentum going before sitting back down as my legs can't handle the strain of carrying my weight all at around 60rpm.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The spinning up climbs is a bloody myth.
    I also run 34:32 with lots of steep climbs round our way.
    I sit for everything but there ain’t a lot of spinning on the steep stuff.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I find if I ride up a hill in 36 x 24 or 36 x 30 I end up with same pedal revs, so I tend to just grind it out.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

Isn't that right Blakey?

You are all mashers.

I have no choice but to mash. I dream of 80 RPM on 34x29. This is why I don't race. 😉
    Up a 15% hill I walk at about 60 steps a minute I think.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

Isn't that right Blakey?

You are all mashers.

Up a 15% hill I walk at about 60 steps a minute I think.
    This I can understand. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    So a 34:32 at 60 rpm with 700c wheels is pretty much 8kph or 5mph which for a very steep gradient and not giving a hard effort is quite a realistic speed.

So any bigger gearing and you’re either seriously grinding or knocking out a decent rate of climb.
  • First.Aspect
    morstar said:

So a 34:32 at 60 rpm with 700c wheels is pretty much 8kph or 5mph which for a very steep gradient and not giving a hard effort is quite a realistic speed.

So any bigger gearing and you’re either seriously grinding or knocking out a decent rate of climb.

I think as bad as it gets in the UK are the pitches on Great Dun Fell, Lowther Hill or the Bealach. I go up those with a 34x28 and more or less 60 on the steep pitches avoids falling over sideways.
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2021
    morstar said:

Yeah. Last time I did my local steep one. Spinning is not an option.
    15.5%, 6.5 mph, 362 W, 156 bpm, 72 rpm. On 34x29.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

Isn't that right Blakey?

You are all mashers.
    I beg your pardon ya bloody Chookta.
    morstar said:

The spinning up climbs is a bloody myth.

This ^.

If you are Froomy sustaining 300+ watts and have peak fitness.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Why is it that when discussing bike frame materials so many people refer to aluminium as alloy when steel is by definition an alloy and titanium frames are also made from alloy tubes?
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Why is it that when discussing bike frame materials so many people refer to aluminium as alloy when steel is by definition an alloy and titanium frames are also made from alloy tubes?

Same reason they talk about carbon frames I suppose, without mentioning the hydrogen, oxygen or nitrogen/sulphur, as the case may be.

• Pross

Pross said:

Same reason they talk about carbon frames I suppose, without mentioning the hydrogen, oxygen or nitrogen/sulphur, as the case may be.

That doesn't compare though. The thing that intrigues me is the use of the term 'alloy' as shorthand when all three materials are alloys. People have come to understand that it means aluminium alloy but it would make more sense to call it aluminium (or alu if you want to be lazy). I'm not expecting people to start talking about aluminium alloy or titanium alloy but it seems logical to shorten it to its main component.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

Aluminium 'alloy' because of the addition of Silicone and Magnesium.
    But yes, they are all alloys so we should either take that as a given or add the word 'alloy' to all 3 metal based frame materials when mentioning it.

I prefer the former 'cos it's less typing innit.
  • First.Aspect
    edited May 2021
    Pross said:

Pross said:

That doesn't compare though. The thing that intrigues me is the use of the term 'alloy' as shorthand when all three materials are alloys. People have come to understand that it means aluminium alloy but it would make more sense to call it aluminium (or alu if you want to be lazy). I'm not expecting people to start talking about aluminium alloy or titanium alloy but it seems logical to shorten it to its main component.
    Yes it does compare. It is just short hand. Carbon fibre composite is a mouthful. So is a full recitation of the type of alloy, so people plump for the fewest syllables.

I suppose the distinction could be made that more of an aluminium alloy is something other than aluminium than is the case for steel or titanium alloys.

There's no point trying to get the cycling industry to be remotely scientifically accurate though, because that would ruin sales of new wonder materials that make absolutely no difference whatsoever.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

Pross said:

But yes, they are all alloys so we should either take that as a given or add the word 'alloy' to all 3 metal based frame materials when mentioning it.

Silicon.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Pross said:

Silicon.
    My bad. But pedantry aside...
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Silicon.
    My bad. But pedantry aside...
    If you put pedantry aside, where would we be?? "Alloy", that's where we would be. And no one wants that.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Because some people find aluminium hard to pronounce and spell, steel is easy. Titanium is fancy and they want you to know it.
    Just a theory, I don't think I have ever referred to an ali bike as alloy.
  • First.Aspect

Because some people find aluminium hard to pronounce and spell, steel is easy. Titanium is fancy and they want you to know it.

I've only ever heard it to distinguish what was then a normal wheel material, steel, from a fancy lightweight "alloy" wheel only used by cyclists who advertise breakfast cereal.
  • Pross

At least someone gets the point I'm making. I'm not bothered about being technically accurate I just don't understand why one of three alloys seems to get shortened to alloy. It's like asking which is the best material for roof beams and listing options as oak, pine and timber.
  • veronese68

I've only ever heard it to distinguish what was then a normal wheel material, steel, from a fancy lightweight "alloy" wheel only used by cyclists who advertise breakfast cereal.
    With wheels it could be a carry over from the term alloy wheels being used on cars so much.
  • First.Aspect

With wheels it could be a carry over from the term alloy wheels being used on cars so much.
    Possibly. But that is also incorrect. We should start a petition on gov.uk.
  • Pross

I'm seeing it regularly on Facebook bike groups "should I go for a titanium, steel or alloy frame" or one I saw this morning where someone's bottle cage bolts had seized and one person's sage advice was "avoid alloy bolts".
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I'm seeing it regularly on Facebook bike groups "should I go for a titanium, steel or alloy frame" or one I saw this morning where someone's bottle cage bolts had seized and one person's sage advice was "avoid alloy bolts".
    I think you should avoid Facebook. It is just an upsetting place.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I think you should avoid Facebook. It is just an upsetting place.
    I pretty much do, deleted all my friends a year ago other than immediate family and generally use it for keeping up to date with organisations I'm involved with. However, I joined a few cycling groups recently for a bit of advice and that's where I saw these comments.
  • veronese68

Possibly. But that is also incorrect. We should start a petition on gov.uk.
    Equally wrong of course, advertising blurb referred to light alloy wheels. That became alloys to the average punter.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

...I joined a few cycling groups recently for a bit of advice and that's where I saw these comments.

And that 'advice' is better than what you get on here?!