Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

The definition of "essentials".

"Firms are struggling to secure summer essentials like garden furniture, picnic baskets and outdoor toys, as consumers prepare to holiday in the UK."

Guess you haven't shopped at waitrose recently.
    Tiramisu is in their essentials range.
    Rightly so. Along with Ardennes pate.
    Too much of which will result in a Battle of the Bulge.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I am dairy free and tend to eat around it rather than substitutes but I have to say this vegan sh1te is the best ice cream around for the freezer and the choc ices are even better

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    To be honest, I really don't like the sound of eating a Vegan's excrement!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

I am dairy free and tend to eat around it rather than substitutes but I have to say this vegan sh1te is the best ice cream around for the freezer and the choc ices are even better

I bought this by accident and agree it's really nice.

SC check out BOOJA BOOJA. Meant to be the best vegan ice cream and chocolate.
  • surrey_commuter

Cheers, good to have a back up as it is hard to find
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

The definition of "essentials".

"Firms are struggling to secure summer essentials like garden furniture, picnic baskets and outdoor toys, as consumers prepare to holiday in the UK."

Guess you haven't shopped at waitrose recently.
    Tiramisu is in their essentials range.
    Rightly so. Along with Ardennes pate.
    I feel this list needs a marketing campaign led by Pete Tong.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shirley_basso

A few vegan coworkers have vouched for it.

Other things probably already on your radar:

Tempeh (vibrant vegan)
    One pot instant lunches (soulful foods)
  • surrey_commuter

A few vegan coworkers have vouched for it.

Other things probably already on your radar:

Tempeh (vibrant vegan)
    One pot instant lunches (soulful foods)
    never really considered any of them as I am lactose intolerant rather than a moral stance but maybe I should widen my horizons
  • elbowloh
    Tempeh is really nice, often used a lot in Indonesian dishes.

I did a cookery course in Bali with the (now) wife and used it there and ate it quite a bit there too.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    Yeah it's quite new in the UK. Vibrant vegan is a good brand with lots of tempeh ready meals which are good for inspiration and tons of recipes on their Instagram page.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    If the countryside near me is anything to go by, wet wipes are summer essentials.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479

If the countryside near me is anything to go by, wet wipes are summer essentials.

Dogging hotspot?
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Dogging hotspot?
    Happily I don't know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    The mess left on the roads is getting worse.
    I'd like to ask one of these litter louting locals if they are proud to be Scottish?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 2021
    pinno said:

The mess left on the roads is getting worse.
    I'd like to ask one of these litter louting locals if they are proud to be Scottish?

No offence to any Scots here, but Scotland is filthy. The only reason Scotland doesn't look like a litter bin is that there aren't many people living in it, relatively speaking.
  • pinno
    Probably.
    When you go abroad, you realise we a filthy bloody nation of people.
    I live in a lovely area, often spoilt by litter .
  • Pross
    Why would anyone bother going to the trouble of viewing an eclipse using the pinhole method? If you're going to view it indirectly you may as well watch it on a TV where the cameras can pick up more detail.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Probably.

Define "abroad". When you go outside a town centre in many places any waste ground tends to look like landfill. My holiday to Turkey springs to mind and also Menorca. Parts of France I've been to have been bad and others immaculate.
  • focuszing723
    Still a useful method for some Mormons or Amish though.
  • shirley_basso
    Pross said:

Why would anyone bother going to the trouble of viewing an eclipse using the pinhole method? If you're going to view it indirectly you may as well watch it on a TV where the cameras can pick up more detail.

Likewise anything?
  • pinno
    Pross said:

pinno said:

Probably.

Define "abroad". When you go outside a town centre in many places any waste ground tends to look like landfill. My holiday to Turkey springs to mind and also Menorca. Parts of France I've been to have been bad and others immaculate.
    Well, you can have whole countries that are seemingly completely litter free - Sweden, Switzerland, Austria for example.
    What's waste ground got to do with litter? You can have waste ground but it doesn't have to be covered in litter.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

Probably.

Well, you can have whole countries that are seemingly completely litter free - Sweden, Switzerland, Austria for example.
    What's waste ground got to do with litter? You can have waste ground but it doesn't have to be covered in litter.
    I know, that's the point I'm making. Quite often the touristy bits in the resort are kept clean but once you get away from that any undeveloped ground seems to be used as a tip. The countries you've listed just seem to have more responsible citizens in general, that's why I was questioning what you meant by abroad - some places are better and some are worse so it felt like quite a sweeping statement.

Things are definitely getting worse over here though. I live in a part of the world where there is some spectacular countryside in very easy reach of urban areas and they have got progressively worse for years but I noticed out walking the Beacons the other day that even in the middle of nowhere there was quite a lot of rubbish not to mention the seemingly compulsory discarded bags of dog poo. I think it stems from people "discovering the countryside" during lockdown and treating it with the same disdain as whatever shithole they have travelled from. I'd hate to live anywhere near a beach with the way so many people seem to find carrying empty food and drink packaging back to the car more of a challenge than lugging the heavier, full version down there for some reason.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Pross said:

pinno said:

Probably.

Karl Pilkington's visit to the Pyramids sticks in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO9sz39-6YE
  • Pross
    Not seen that before and I'm surprised that such a big tourist attraction is so bad. I get that the tourists themselves are often the cause of the rubbish (as with our beaches) but a lot of that has accumulated over years. My holidays to Turkey and Menorca stick in my mind for the beaches and other tourist traps being kept nice and clean but as soon as you travelled outside those areas there would be rubbish and abandoned building sites.
  • First.Aspect
    I was kayaking on the west coast this weekend. Someone had taken a dump in a Morrison's bag for life and left it on the beach.
  • pinno
    Once I parked my camper van in Glen Nevis along beside the river, past the laid back longhorns intent on not moving and staring at you.
    Found a lovely spot to park for the night and had a walk along the river until I got to a little sandy outcrop - covered in sh1t and toilet paper.

Same with the endless long military road heading north to Le Cap ferret/Arcachon. Stopped where there was a break in the woods and the forest track was a dump - I mean for dumps. But unlike other parts of France there was little in the way of amenities for 45km.
  • elbowloh
    Just driving home and was behind a van for a company called Aryan Heating.

I dread to think what kind of furnaces they might install.

Apologies if this is a bit too much.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Wonder how much stick he gets for this name:

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygB4EZ7ggig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NhOKy2K80

This intrigues me. The accounts of a couple of fighter pilots involved in a situation not knowing what they saw, compared to a retired fighter pilot (now airline pilot) just observing the footage released by the Department of Defence and making his own judgement.

The first two pilots accounts are compelling, which others involved in the Naval military exercise witnessed as well. The visual 8mm converted to digital footage leaves a lot to be desired though and doesn't show anything unusual as explained by the pilot not involved in the situation.

Intriguing, if nothing else.

Washington (CNN)Members of the House Intelligence Committee will receive a classified briefing on Wednesday morning on one of the most controversial topics circulating in Washington today: UFOs.

The briefing, which was confirmed to CNN by two sources familiar with the committee's plans, comes just weeks before the US intelligence community is scheduled to deliver an unclassified report on the matter for Congress. According to one committee source, Wednesday's briefing will be conducted by the Navy and FBI.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics/ufo-report-briefing-pentagon-fighting/index.html
  • focuszing723
    A group of senior American politicians have warned that UFOs pose “national security concerns” after getting a confidential briefing on a highly anticipated report on unidentified aerial phenomena that is set to be released later this month.

Some members of Congress were given advanced details about the contents of the Pentagon report, which is scheduled to be released before 25 June, and several said they are deeply worried about the findings.

The woman who forced the US government to take UFOs seriously
    “Clearly, something’s going on that we can’t handle,” Tim Burchett, a Republican congressman from Tennessee,.

In recent years a series of government videos showing unidentified aerial phenomena, or UAPs – the ufology community’s preferred term – have been released, including footage from a navy F-18 fighter jet which showed an oblong object flying through the sky near San Diego in 2004.

This April photos and videos taken by navy personnel were leaked online, showing triangular-shaped objects buzzing in the sky, and in May leaked military footage showed an oval flying object near a navy ship in San Diego – an apparent UAP hotspot.

“We take the issue of unexplained aerial phenomena seriously to the extent that we’re dealing with the safety and security of US military personnel or the national security interests of the United States, so we want to know what we’re dealing with,” Sean Patrick Maloney, a Democratic congressman from New York, told the New York Post.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/17/ufos-us-report-national-security-concerns

I do find intriguing why what has been observed by the US Navy hasn't been explained and the response from some of the members of Congress.