A Mental Health Thread

124»

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Midnight wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Midnight wrote:
    I have been banned from a number of forums, I tend to speak my mind, speak without thinking, nothing intentional, which is why on the other forum I have this in my signature

Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more

I wanted to add this in the signature but there is no signature available in my CP
    If you know you can sound blunt in your posts why not read them again before posting.
    Typical un educated post

Didn't sound un-educated to me - just a reasonable question.
    I quite often write something out - either via email or forum post - then just clear it, never to be sent/submitted - but it get's it off my chest even if not truely out of my mind.

I'm well aware that some people will just type and post - I do that myself quite a bit - depends how serious the thread is and what I feel I have to contribute - others never post - most of us are inbetween.

I'm aware of autism, aspergers and ADHD, but not in any detail - fortunately it's not something I have to deal with (well - except a child with autism, but he's easy to play with) - so asking for a bit more about how you deal with your conditions seems reasonable to me - feel free to give a blunt reply ;)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have been struggling a bit of late and writing things down helps me - I don't really care if no one reads it, the process of writing is quite therapeutic for me.
    If you don't care ... I don't mind ...

;)
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    There's someone like midnight on another cycling forum (no idea if same person). At times very interesting posts of questions or interesting take on things. At other times bristly or blunt. He is also very up front with his and his family's autism experiences.

The thing is reading through posts might not highlight issues with what you've typed. If your take on things is it of the normal range of responses then things making sense to you won't necessarily make sense to others. Things aren't always boxed up that way.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Midnight is on this forum...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I'm definitely going to look into volunteering options again.

I've also decided to set aside a little money each month to help homeless people, ask them what they need, small stuff, hand sanitiser, baby wipes, even deodorant that kind of thing. Human interaction.

Writing that post has seemed to help me collect my thoughts and try and make a change. It is very easy for me to get set in my ways and gradually decline mentally

I'd recommend others do it if you have a rough spell, you don't have to submit the post, just writing it really helps, well helps me at least.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • tangled_metal
    Midnight is on this forum but someone like him is on another forum I visit possibly two people, possibly the same person. Both with autism and ADHD. Both have a similar way of posting that can annoy / upset people. I personally believe that easy of posting isn't possible to completely filter out just by rereading a post before submitting it.
  • tangled_metal
    Not trying to disparage your ideas, but have you asked what homeless people want? There's an argument that you give them the money to buy what is important to them. Google the matter to view past debates on this both on forums like this and elsewhere.
  • chris_bass
    Not trying to disparage your ideas, but have you asked what homeless people want? There's an argument that you give them the money to buy what is important to them. Google the matter to view past debates on this both on forums like this and elsewhere.

Chris Bass wrote:
    I've also decided to set aside a little money each month to help homeless people, ask them what they need, small stuff, hand sanitiser, baby wipes, even deodorant that kind of thing. Human interaction.

way ahead of you there :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I'm definitely going to look into volunteering options again.

Writing that post has seemed to help me collect my thoughts and try and make a change. It is very easy for me to get set in my ways and gradually decline mentally

I'd recommend others do it if you have a rough spell, you don't have to submit the post, just writing it really helps, well helps me at least.

I think writing stuff down always helps to crystallise thoughts. It's a completely different scenario, but we ask all our clients to write a brief of what they want from the project. Some avoid it, and the project inevitably suffers because of it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    Chris: Become a train driver volunteer, like:

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/blue ... o_vol.html

You must be near a steam line.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tangled_metal
    Chris Bass wrote:

Chris Bass wrote:

Fair enough. Reckon you've got it all covered.

Must admit not many think cash to homeless is a good idea but why not?
  • tangled_metal
    rjsterry wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I think writing stuff down always helps to crystallise thoughts. It's a completely different scenario, but we ask all our clients to write a brief of what they want from the project. Some avoid it, and the project inevitably suffers because of it.
    Ever heard of bullet journaling? Organisation and mindfulness in a nice notebook. Habit trackers and rapid logging and brain dumps. All good for minds that are troubled or disorganised I reckon. I've gone back to bujo after a miss-start in January. Right now I'm planning a habit tracker and possibly mood tracker too. Goals tracker might creep in. It's slowly becoming part of my life. Doesn't have to be all artistic, mine is a mess like my mind and handwriting.

Writing things down you need to do or remember allows you to let them go in your mind which helps. Just don't leave it behind!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    Me: Depression...happiness
    Handwriting: Terrible
    Organisation: Very good
    Memory: Inconsistent.

I get down. It's like an infinitely deep, dark cavern and I have thought of silly solutions on more than one occasion but the thing that keeps me going is 2 beautiful daughters and that the depressed mindset is temporary. 2 weeks at the most and that's what I fixate with: It ends. The clouds will lift. At those points though, it feels eternal.

The route to happiness is kindness.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • My Friend and cycling buddy killed himself on Christmas day last year. He seemed so up, and never showed serious signs of the blackness you assume is needed to do that.

I used to think that killing yourself was a terrible selfish act or some form of spite, but after that event it's made me realise how serious a mental health problem he must have had, and that people who kill themselves are seriously mentally ill / affected. I now can't think of how anyone could do it without being in the blackest place imaginable.

Made me reassess a lot.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • tangled_metal
    Happened with an outdoor friend. No cry for help first just cold, calculated preparation over some time. It was planned and prepared for. A truly genuine and friendly person I wish there was some sign it was coming. She was one person who would have had a whole stream of people queuing at her door to stop it happening of we'd just seen some sign it was coming. It's a sad loss when great people die like that.

There's a TV advert I saw recently. On BBC iirc. They're promoting a radio 1 led campaign for combating suicide, self harm and depression in younger people. The advert gives good advice for friends. It's about taking time to reach out. IIRC there's an acronym something like scope I think. Basically just talk to people not just social media but over the phone with a call or in person.

I think it's often quality human interaction that helps. My friend had a very isolated rural worker lifestyle. Most contact is online social media. Business by email and distance. Very easy to slip off friend's radar and into the dark. My regrets are evident I don't need to go further.
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

Chris Bass wrote:

Fair enough. Reckon you've got it all covered.

Must admit not many think cash to homeless is a good idea but why not?

Sorry, I meant that tounge in cheek, I didn't mean it to sound harsh.

I think most people think if you give them money they'll spend it on drugs, which may well be the case. I rarely carry cash which is why buying things for them is easier for me. I have spoken to a lot of homeless people and asked them about how they end up on the streets and they are just like you and me in most cases. Often a poor choice, addiction (not always substance abuse but gambling or something which is destructive) or abusive relationship then led them to lose their job, lose their savings etc.

With the hot weather this weekend maybe if you see a homeless person ask when they last had a drink, dehydration is a big problem, and buy them one if they need it!

We are all people, all have different needs, let's look after each other.

As Jerry Springer says "until next time, take care of yourselves.... and each other"
  • chris_bass
    Given it is world Suicide prevention day thought i'd post i this thread.

If there is someone who haven't heard from in a while maybe drop them a message, not because you think they might need help or anything, just hearing from an old friend is often something that raises a smile and positivity is something that can help even the most minor issues seem a little better.

If there is someone you are worried about even more reason to see how they're doing - no need to say you are worried, just see how they're doing, invite them or a pint or a chat.

If you yourself are struggling, doesn't have to be suicidal thoughts, just anything that is getting you down or you can't see a way out of, maybe ask someone if they want to do something and talk it out with them.

If dropping me a private message helps i'm all ears (or eyes if that is the reading equivalent)

take care of those that mean a lot to you, yourself and those around you.
  • @chris_bass

This thread was and still is *important*, and you started it. Not seen you on here in a while, would love to see you back on these pages.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS