Six Nations 2018

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Wales were dreadful in the first half and got very lucky in the second. They are very over rated and believe their own hype, but have the easy draw this year with England and Ireland in Cardiff.

I wouldn't say Wales are over rated - I don't think they played that well in Paris but any team coming back from 16 points down at half time deserves a lot of credit. I've never though them the sort of side that would "believe their own hype" either - the welsh players I've heard seem a humble bunch of model professionals. I just wonder whether a few have peaked. History would tell me that it won't be long until a new young tyro is given the chance though.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Easily the best match of the weekend and the highest intensity by a distance. That was a really top performance by England to squeeze the life out of Ireland and cap it off with the BP.

Wales were dreadful in the first half and got very lucky in the second. They are very over rated and believe their own hype, but have the easy draw this year with England and Ireland in Cardiff.
    France better than they have been with fewer mercenaries in their team, but mentally are made of china.
    Three of Scotland's first 4 tries shouldn't have been given for various reasons, were easily better than Italy, but still not good.
    Italy dangerous in patches, but quality is lower than everyone else and another wooden spoon awaits.

That's complete crap. They've finally got a confidence that they can win any game which comes from being on a winning streak, a bit like England in the early 00s and it's good to see you are hedging your comments with the 'easy draw' comment. I doubt you commented last season that Wales had a difficult draw when finishing second. Good teams manage to eke out wins when playing badly.

Anyway, as you've written everyone else off I'm sure you are looking forward to an England Grand Slam?

Judging by the praise for one team and the deriding of the other five I presume the op comes from east of the border.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If only he'd give us some sort of clue as to where he comes from...
  • bompington wrote:

A bit like Prestons..............of Bolton!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    bompington wrote:

This comment needs to go in 'Trivial things that cheer you up'.

Proper tickled me that did!
  • laurentian
    So, weekend predictions?

Can anyone see anything other than Ireland, Wales and England victories??
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Im going with Ireland, Italy (sorry Wales) & England.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    laurentian wrote:
    So, weekend predictions?

Can anyone see anything other than Ireland, Wales and England victories??

Wales and England certainly

However I can see Scotland winning, on balance Ireland will win but I think a Scotland victory is eminently possible!
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,435
    Pross wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Easily the best match of the weekend and the highest intensity by a distance. That was a really top performance by England to squeeze the life out of Ireland and cap it off with the BP.

France better than they have been with fewer mercenaries in their team, but mentally are made of china.
    Three of Scotland's first 4 tries shouldn't have been given for various reasons, were easily better than Italy, but still not good.
    Italy dangerous in patches, but quality is lower than everyone else and another wooden spoon awaits.

That's complete crap. They've finally got a confidence that they can win any game which comes from being on a winning streak, a bit like England in the early 00s and it's good to see you are hedging your comments with the 'easy draw' comment. I doubt you commented last season that Wales had a difficult draw when finishing second. Good teams manage to eke out wins when playing badly.

Anyway, as you've written everyone else off I'm sure you are looking forward to an England Grand Slam?

Judging by the praise for one team and the deriding of the other five I presume the op comes from east of the border.

What.... Denmark???
  • crispybug2
    Scotland vs Ireland has been a cracking game so far and what a pass off the floor by Finn Russell for Scotland’s try!
  • crispybug2
    Scotland 13-22 Ireland

The game fizzled out badly in the second half and mainly because they were less crap Ireland won
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Seems like I upset a few Welshies! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good first half in Scotland vs Ireland, but so many basic errors from Scotland in the second half. Ireland deserved winners but clearly had their confidence shaken by last week's defeat.

Good start by Wales but Italy throwing it around. Wales will have too much for them though.
  • crispybug2
    1st half of the Italy-Wales game has been as dreadful as the 2nd half of the Scotland-Ireland game!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Wales still not looking good (even if wasn't their first choice team) as they lumber to a 15-26 win, but 2 away days and 2 away wins.
  • crispybug2
    Two very poor and low quality games with only brief glimmers of class

Not the best advert for Northern hemisphere rugby
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    gutted about that loss but have a good feeling for us vs France - if anything it'll be close.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Wales terrible this week, there's a lack of depth in many positions which is hardly surprising considering we've had 15 years or so of regional rugby diluting the amount of players getting game time together with policies to restrict selecting players playing their trade outside of Wales. That said, they've become difficult to beat and have got the winning mentality even when playing badly which is the sign of a good team. They've equalled their longest winning streak but will have to improve to extend it. Italy are definitely showing signs of improvement and they are getting much better organised. Players are starting to step up and take the pressure off Parisse.

Missed the other game unfortunately.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Wales will perform way better in 2 weeks against England as they always do at home to their old enemy. The lineout has been poor both weeks, not helped by the second row having a bitch at his hooker after another botched throw.

I agree that Italy are improving but need to take their chances when they come along and cut out some of their silly penalties and other errors.
  • Pross
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Wales will perform way better in 2 weeks against England as they always do at home to their old enemy. The lineout has been poor both weeks, not helped by the second row having a ***** at his hooker after another botched throw.

I agree that Italy are improving but need to take their chances when they come along and cut out some of their silly penalties and other errors.

Dee's throwing in has been poor in both games which is unusual. He really rushed that one that led to the dispute. In both games Wales have been poor at protecting possession.
  • Pross
    It's almost as if France didn't bother analysing the England v Ireland game. England have just carried on with the kick into space and a fast chase. It's incredible that an international team with all those coaches doesn't bother with any research. It was bad enough that Ireland didn't adapt to the tactic. If Gatland and co don't come up with a strategy to deal with it I'll be throwing things at the screen.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Pretty impressive first half again from England, bar 60 seconds of sloppiness.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Two fortunate tries for England. Not sure the penalty try was correct or Farrell's try.
  • Pross
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Two fortunate tries for England. Not sure the penalty try was correct or Farrell's try.

Penalty try looked cast iron at first then they showed a different angle too late where it looked like Ashton had lost control. The same happened with Wales first disallowed try yesterday, loads of replays looking like a clear knock on then as it was being disallowed there was a replay showing it went forward from a knee. The Farrell try definitely involved the French defender being held back and prevented from getting to the loose ball.

I think all of England's tries involved a chip in behind the back line and France just didn't adapt to it. They definitely look the best organised team in the tournament and are thinking / playing at a higher pace than all the others. I'm not holding out much hope for Wales when they play them.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Ball clearly bounced away from Ashton just before he was hit. Penalty and yellow, but not penalty try. That angle should have been looked at by the TMO.
    Second one less clear in that the defender probably wouldn't have got to the ball before Farrell anyway.

With the welsh one yesterday, isn't above the knee a knock on anyway?

Funny to hear Laidlaw crying about Poite's reffing after Scotland had 4 tries given wrongly last weekend!

I'm certain Wales will really front up in Cardiff and really wouldn't be surprised if they win.
  • crispybug2
    On the train home from Twickenham, excellent performance by England, six tries and if we’re honest another three or four left out there

As good as England were, France were utterly awful, they look like a team without a clue, you have to wonder if that was Jaques Brunel’s last game in charge, their substitutes, particularly the backs, seemed to give them a bit of impetus that was seriously lacking before

But what the hell, I’ve had a great afternoon watching rugby, a few pints and a beef and ale stew waiting for me when I get home

Championship, and possibly Grand Slam, decider against Wales up next in two weeks.
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    On the train home from Twickenham, excellent performance by England, six tries and if we’re honest another three or four left out there

As good as England were, France were utterly awful, they look like a team without a clue, you have to wonder if that was Jaques Brunel’s last game in charge, their substitutes, particularly the backs, seemed to give them a bit of impetus that was seriously lacking before

But what the hell, I’ve had a great afternoon watching rugby, a few pints and a beef and ale stew waiting for me when I get home

Championship, and possibly Grand Slam, decider against Wales up next in two weeks.

Obviously if you have been to Twickenham today you have a knowledge of rugger, mine is somewhat lacking.

But as I understand it can a team win all five games but by a low margin so only gaining four points per game giving them 20 points. However a team could win only four games but by a big margin and still attain 20 points because of the bonus point.

So could, in theory, the team that wins four, loses one, win the tournament over the team that has won all five?
  • But as I understand it can a team win all five games but by a low margin so only gaining four points per game giving them 20 points. However a team could win only four games but by a big margin and still attain 20 points because of the bonus point.

So could, in theory, the team that wins four, loses one, win the tournament over the team that has won all five?

From the rules,

"A Union that wins all five of its Matches (a “Grand Slam”) shall be awarded a further three Match Points."

So this would prevent your scenario as the team that wins all five games but by a low margin would gain 23 points

Also I think the team that lost one could gain a losing bonus point and hence end on 21!
  • Dorset_Boy
    The team losing one could get 2 bonus points, one for 4 tries and one for losing by 7 or less so could end on 22 points, hence the extra 3 for the GS.
  • Thanks to both for clearing that up.
  • laurentian
    crispybug2 wrote:

. . . speaks a man high on confidence but possibly low on memory :wink: . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP