LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Jeremy.89 said:

Various stories suggesting grant shapps wants to take charge of the railways. Maybe Jezza did win the argument!

If they can do it properly it would certainly make sense. It has to be easier for everyone to just have a centrally operated service without a myriad different ticket options surely plus no shareholders wanting a cut of any profit so it can just be reinvested into the service. Of course, the if is a very big one as we know from the 'good old days' of British Rail.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Various stories suggesting grant shapps wants to take charge of the railways. Maybe Jezza did win the argument!

If they can do it properly it would certainly make sense. It has to be easier for everyone to just have a centrally operated service without a myriad different ticket options surely plus no shareholders wanting a cut of any profit so it can just be reinvested into the service. Of course, the if is a very big one as we know from the 'good old days' of British Rail.
    It’s the age old conundrum. How do you achieve the innovation and service only the markets can deliver where there is a natural monopoly?Nationalised industries stagnate and faux free markets get defrauded of investment to the benefit of shareholders.

My past 10 years of train use is chalk and cheese compared to BR. BR was an absolute nightmare. But then I rarely use local commuter trains. The ‘inter city’ services are generally very good these days.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Inner city pricing is horrendous. Just try getting on a different train to the one you booked. It will cost you more than the original ticket.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Massive majority, loses a vote within the first year of the election. Rebels include former PM and a current minister. Classic.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671

Jeremy.89 said:

No maybe about it, we have had tax rises, massive borrowing, vanity infrastructure projects
    Johnson continues to be the answer to the question 'how bad a PM would Corbyn have been?'
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rjsterry said:

Jeremy.89 said:

No maybe about it, we have had tax rises, massive borrowing, vanity infrastructure projects
    Johnson continues to be the answer to the question 'how bad a PM would Corbyn have been?'
    I would replace Corbyn with Ed Miliband as their policies are more similar
  • surrey_commuter
    it seems like Dom's mate and a bloke he met in a pub car park have run into difficulties designing, build and launching low-earth orbit satellites to replace Galileo.

Instead we are going to buy a 20% stake in a bankrupt company who are doing similar but have 74 of the planned 650 satellites already in orbit.

If you ignore the costly stupidity of having to find an alternative to Galileo then this seems like a good news story.

My hesitancy is that past performance suggests that it will turn out to be an act of gross stupidity.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Miliband is a bit too competent.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Miliband is a bit too competent.
    I was thinking more in terms of economic policies
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278

I'm not sure that Nadhim Zahawi has helped massively by saying that anyone who wants the same access to government should try going to their local Conservative party fundraising event.

The whole tory party is just sick and rotten. The fact that this bonehead says this and doesn't think there's anything wrong shows he's living in an alternate reality.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    If only the uk was a bit smarter and only agreed to fund things abroad that could not be taken away without cmpensation. Obviously the flip side is that the EU are not crowning themselves in glory here.
  • rick_chasey
    So the summary here is.

Civil services advises something.

MP ignores them.

Turns out Civil Service advice was right.

Govt keeps MP in place and announces reform of civil service
  • surrey_commuter

So the summary here is.

Civil services advises something.

MP ignores them.

Turns out Civil Service advice was right.

Govt keeps MP in place and announces reform of civil service
    You are going to have to get used to this as there is no way Boris is going to establish a benchmark for when you have to resign/sacked for being a corrupt sack of sh1t liar
  • rjsterry
    Wonder if the news that the Russians were offering the Taliban bounties for killing US and UK soldiers will encourage the publication of the overdue report on Russian election interference.

Not holding my breath.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    The poor man’s Trump needs to up his game as nobody seems to have noticed he went to Westferry for his photo opp with Rishi drinking outside
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    His press-up photo is for what purpose?

I think everyone knows that is the only position he ever exerts himself anyway.
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2020
    This is very interesting.

Quite why the blond idiot doing push ups is more worthy of a front page I don't know

Well worth reading the whole speech.

Not sure what to make of all the clashes between what this and the previous government have done (or failed to do) and what he says here, but as a statement of direction. It's quite a dramatic shift. Can't help thinking that it will also need a new PM to become a reality, because Johnson shows no inclination to the effort or leadership skills required to pull this off.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    rjsterry said:

This is very interesting.

Quite why the blond idiot doing push ups is more worthy of a front page I don't know

Well worth reading the whole speech.

Not sure what to make of all the clashes between what this and the previous government have done (or failed to do) and what he says here, but as a statement of direction. It's quite a dramatic shift. Can't help thinking that it will also need a new PM to become a reality, because Johnson shows no inclination to the effort or leadership skills required to pull this off.

I can't be bothered to read that in large font with 16 words per page. It's a bit like trying to understand a photo by looking at it pixel by pixel.
  • rjsterry
    Eh? I'd assumed it was set like that for reading or transfer to autocue, but it's really not that difficult to read, especially if you are reading on a phone. It's worth the effort.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

Eh? I'd assumed it was set like that for reading or transfer to autocue, but it's really not that difficult to read, especially if you are reading on a phone. It's worth the effort.

I managed 10/69 with a lot of skim reading. Could you advise where it gets interesting.
  • rjsterry
    If you are that uninterested why are you asking?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    It is unfortunate Tories have to reach back in time for their ideas, but I guess with the current crop you wouldn’t want them coming up with new ideas.

FDR was basically a highly centralising leader who’s cornerstone policies were all shaped by the depression and are broadly various forms of Keynesian stimulus type programmes.

So SC - this will not please you.

I have yet to see the U.K. really step ahead of the pack re stimulus and in fact they are behind places like Germany who brought a bazooka to the party (though arguably they can better afford said bazooka).

How this tallies with Gove’s Brexit agenda I can’t work out, so if anyone has any great ideas, let us know.
  • surrey_commuter

It is unfortunate Tories have to reach back in time for their ideas, but I guess with the current crop you wouldn’t want them coming up with new ideas.

FDR was basically a highly centralising leader who’s cornerstone policies were all shaped by the depression and are broadly various forms of Keynesian stimulus type programmes.

I have yet to see the U.K. really step ahead of the pack re stimulus and in fact they are behind places like Germany who brought a bazooka to the party (though arguably they can better afford said bazooka).

How this tallies with Gove’s Brexit agenda I can’t work out, so if anyone has any great ideas, let us know.

My problem is that I see the economy failing due to C19 disruption. To take an extreme example if you gave everybody £1k it would not solve the C19 problem.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    The VAT rate cut in Germany is part of the package, but I'm sure Rick is fine with that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

The VAT rate cut in Germany is part of the package, but I'm sure Rick is fine with that.

I've seen various rumours of VAT rate cuts in the UK. The argument seemed to be that it was not perfect, but was one of the few things that could be easily switched off and on again as required.

There's a separate argument on the madness that is the VAT rules on construction.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    From the looks of this we are talking about a rather low watt version of FDR.

Johnson has just pledged £1bn for school rebuilding over 10 years, which is... about 3 schools a year. There are over 4,000 secondary schools and over 20,000 primary schools.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    edited June 2020
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I've seen various rumours of VAT rate cuts in the UK. The argument seemed to be that it was not perfect, but was one of the few things that could be easily switched off and on again as required.

There's a separate argument on the madness that is the VAT rules on construction.
    TBH it sounds simple but it causes quite a few practical issues to implement including changing every system/device in the country that generates invoices etc, the price of millions of products that are VAT-inclusive - twice in this case as its temporary. A German tax advisor I spoke to last week said it was a real pain.

On your other pont, why confine yourself to such a small section of tax law? There's pushing 20,000 pages of the stuff these days IIRC. Shouldn't grumble I suppose :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

My problem is that I see the economy failing due to C19 disruption. To take an extreme example if you gave everybody £1k it would not solve the C19 problem.
    Conversely if you solve C19 tomorrow the economy won’t just pick up where it left off.