LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    edited July 2021
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Harry Cole reporting that Johnson and Sunak are close to agreeing an at least 1% raise in NIC to fund social care. It's like Gordon Brown 2.0.

I suppose that once you have broken your manifesto once it's that much easier to do it again.

Is it right you don't pay NI on pension income?
    insane isn't it and annoyingly will be grist to RC's mill

the only hope is that they are about to integrate NI and income tax so pensioners pay the full whack.
    You don't pay it after pension age; pension income or employment income.
    Well that sounds like about the worst way they could propose to pay for it then.

But then I still don't understand why there's such an issue with people who have assets that mean they can afford it paying a whack of it themselves. Should be the Tory way.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited July 2021

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Harry Cole reporting that Johnson and Sunak are close to agreeing an at least 1% raise in NIC to fund social care. It's like Gordon Brown 2.0.

I suppose that once you have broken your manifesto once it's that much easier to do it again.

the only hope is that they are about to integrate NI and income tax so pensioners pay the full whack.
    Well that sounds like about the worst way they could propose to pay for it then.

But then I still don't understand why there's such an issue with people who have assets that mean they can afford it paying a whack of it themselves. Should be the Tory way.
    Well quite.

But they 'only want what's best for their kids' or something.

It's apparently the only tax base that is broad enough to provide the money needed in the available time. The trouble with property taxes is that you have to wait for the transactions.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

what illnesses would you have on your list that you pay yourself if you have over £35k of assets? cancer seems pretty pricey and would save the NHS a fortune.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

what illnesses would you have on your list that you pay yourself if you have over £35k of assets? cancer seems pretty pricey and would save the NHS a fortune.
    Sure, why not? Don't expect handouts from the state etc.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

that is fair enough

what I don't understand is people who think payment is acceptable for some illnesses and not others. Seems a bit random that if you get dementia you pay your own way but if you break your neck playing rugby (other examples are available) the state gives you handouts.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

that is fair enough

what I don't understand is people who think payment is acceptable for some illnesses and not others. Seems a bit random that if you get dementia you pay your own way but if you break your neck playing rugby (other examples are available) the state gives you handouts.

The state will pay for your health needs if you get Dementia but they won’t pay for your social care. However the trick is to get yourself or relative sectioned under section 3 of the mental health act then the state has to pay for all your aftercare.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Wannabe kingmaker says he thought about crowning someone else after Dec 19 election.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    webboo said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

that is fair enough

The state will pay for your health needs if you get Dementia but they won’t pay for your social care. However the trick is to get yourself or relative sectioned under section 3 of the mental health act then the state has to pay for all your aftercare.
    Easier said than done
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

that is fair enough

I'm suspicious that the level of long term support offered to some conditions is below your expectations.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

that is fair enough

I'm suspicious that the level of long term support offered to some conditions is below your expectations.
    Ha. Yes, the home help for the rugby player with the broken neck counts as social care.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    I bet Boris and the PM are snuggled up in their palatial pad sat down watching BBC2.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    edited July 2021

Wannabe kingmaker says he thought about crowning someone else after Dec 19 election.

Population mistake voting for the Conservative party to have a majority for voting Boris/Carrie to be PM.
  • rjsterry
    edited July 2021
    "I know, let's pretend that the police officer already allocated to each area is part of some shiny new crime reduction strategy!"

A policy brought in by David Blunkett in 2004.

Imagine if this lot find out who has been defunding the police all along.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Gosh, what is it with The Telegraph right now? Head over to the website, and it's just full of anger and attack: migrants, the BBC, UNESCO, SNP, Covid doom-peddlers, unions... they just don't seem very happy with the world they helped create...
  • Jezyboy

Gosh, what is it with The Telegraph right now? Head over to the website, and it's just full of anger and attack: migrants, the BBC, UNESCO, SNP, Covid doom-peddlers, unions... they just don't seem very happy with the world they helped create...

Wait till they find out who has been in power for the last decade. The Telegraph will be fuming at them.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

I guess it is just the political equivalent of a war planes anti missile defence.
    Just spray a load of stuff out to deflect any incoming attacks.
    It seems they have tapped into this gammon core and need to keep the faces fiery red.
    Genuine question is whether that is sustainable. I guess it probably is. As long as people are frustrated, you just need to channel their frustration.

If you’re making the policies that are keeping them frustrated and have a successful formula for distracting the blame, I guess you’ve found a winning formula.

Not a Tory but god I do miss the Tory party that actually stood for something.

• rjsterry
    Gammoncore sounds like a very niche type of dance music.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Wasnt he struggling to pay for the first nanny..??
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited July 2021
    I read somewhere he's getting his frisky dog neutered. It does make you think...
  • rjsterry
    Can't bear to not be the centre of attention, can he? Even when it's about police officers who died on duty he has to act like a toddler.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Searched for "HS2" and this seems the most recent thread

Sound up

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/hs2-motion-detector-northern-irish-21222653

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Searched for "HS2" and this seems the most recent thread

Sound up

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/hs2-motion-detector-northern-irish-21222653

She was so disturbed by it, she went back again with her husband and child (or grandchild) to be subjected to it again for the purpose of photoshoot.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Surprised the Tory fanboi club trio haven't been out in force bigging up Shiny Faced Dave's sterling efforts in assisting £320m of UK taxpayer money to disappear down the Greensill coffer drains. All fine, nothing to see here, move on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58149765
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    orraloon said:

Surprised the Tory fanboi club trio haven't been out in force bigging up Shiny Faced Dave's sterling efforts in assisting £320m of UK taxpayer money to disappear down the Greensill coffer drains. All fine, nothing to see here, move on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58149765

He took $10m for himself so it's only small cheese.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    So whilst Cameron is in the spotlight for fairly corrupt or at least sleazy and profitable behaviour, apparently Johnson threatened to sack Sunak for not being on board for opening the taps
  • morstar
    Thought this was an interesting assessment of where politics currently sits in the UK.
    Looks at the current landscape in more than just one dimension.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58186519
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

Thought this was an interesting assessment of where politics currently sits in the UK.

Haven’t people been saying this for about 6-7 years at least?
  • Jezyboy
    "Skelton is one of the most influential centre-right thinkers in the country, whose previous book, Little Platoons, contained the seeds of Boris Johnson's flagship "levelling up" policy. "

Must be a short book.
  • morstar

morstar said:

Haven’t people been saying this for about 6-7 years at least?
    What’s your point? It’s a topic that gets discussed on here regularly and here is an article on it in the press. Therefore it seemed relevant to share.
    Obviously it isn’t basing it all on age.