LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Boris Johnson press conference on now. It's quite a thing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Boris Johnson is the only Tory leadership candidate capable of beating both Jeremy Corbyn and the Brexit Party, according to new polling which suggests he would win a crushing 140-seat majority for the Conservatives at the next general election if he was elected Prime Minister.

Quite a simple decision for those Tory MP's that want to keep their seat

This should please all the snowflakes :lol:

What happened to your disdain for opinion polls?

It's the snowflakes reaction to it. Remoaners are now searching for all the ways possible to discredit it :lol:

Remoaners have lost their chance of BRINO by voting it down. That Boris as PM also means a huge majority for the Conservatives is only a good thing for the UK. My vote and millions of others would move back to the Conservatives if a proper Leaver e.g. Boris, was PM.

He's the favourite to win the party leadership and will probably be PM, but that poll is making some big leaps to get to the 140 seat majority. As pointed out, May had a similar lead in a similar poll when she took over, and look how that turned out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Now is the time to come out of the European Union and intensify our trading relationships with those European countries?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199

Given that one of their brethren had their ribs broken [Coopster - did you read the quote?], it's Turkey shoot time for the press.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult Turkeys.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Boris Johnson is the only Tory leadership candidate capable of beating both Jeremy Corbyn and the Brexit Party, according to new polling which suggests he would win a crushing 140-seat majority for the Conservatives at the next general election if he was elected Prime Minister.

It's the snowflakes reaction to it. Remoaners are now searching for all the ways possible to discredit it :lol:

Remoaners have lost their chance of BRINO by voting it down. That Boris as PM also means a huge majority for the Conservatives is only a good thing for the UK. My vote and millions of others would move back to the Conservatives if a proper Leaver e.g. Boris, was PM.

Sometimes you take this persona too far.
  • rjsterry wrote:

He's the favourite to win the party leadership and will probably be PM, but that poll is making some big leaps to get to the 140 seat majority. As pointed out, May had a similar lead in a similar poll when she took over, and look how that turned out.

He is the only candidate that returns a Conservateive majority based on the poll. The remoaners wet dream of Rory Stewart means the Brexit Party get the most number of seats. Even with some margin of error it shows where the electoral support is for the Tories to recover from the disaster of May.
  • tailwindhome

I wonder if the new PM, who was the marquee speaker at the DUP conference before voting for the withdrawal deal and backstop, will enjoy the confidence of the DUP.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    I wonder if the new PM, who was the marquee speaker at the DUP conference before voting for the withdrawal deal and backstop, will enjoy the confidence of the DUP.

If he doesn't, is he even the PM?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

He is the only candidate that returns a Conservateive majority based on the poll. The remoaners wet dream of Rory Stewart means the Brexit Party get the most number of seats. Even with some margin of error it shows where the electoral support is for the Tories to recover from the disaster of May.

Read it again. The poll asked 'How would you vote if X was Conservative party leader?'

It's true that Johnson did the best of those listed but another question in the same poll shows Labour with a five point lead over the Conservatives in a GE.

Labour 23%

Brexit Party 19%

Conservative 18%

Liberal Democrats 16%

Don't know 15%

That appears to swing in the Tories favour if Johnson is leader but the Don't know increases to 21%.
    Turning the data about preference of Tory leader into numbers of seats relies on a number of obviously unreliable assumptions.

Here's the actual poll data
    https://www.comresglobal.com/polls/comr ... june-2019/

And here's why the reported 140 seat majority is a stab in the dark.
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/statu ... 3191554048
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    This seems to be relevant. Evidence that Johnson's main support lies in the hard right of the no-deal wing of the party. That bodes well for his election as leader but will they be disappointed with the results?

http://theconversation.com/boris-johnso ... als-118633
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    rjsterry wrote:
    This seems to be relevant. Evidence that Johnson's main support lies in the hard right of the no-deal wing of the party. That bodes well for his election as leader but will they be disappointed with the results?

Other than no deal, explain how BoJo will make a material difference to the current Brexit predicament.
  • bianchimoon
    rjsterry wrote:

All the Kippers coming back into the fold skewing opinion?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Other than no deal, explain how BoJo will make a material difference to the current Brexit predicament.

The thing is Johnson might make these nutters go weak at the knees but there aren't anywhere near enough of them to keep him in no. 10. So to some extent he will have to disappoint them. He's already conceded that failing to meet his 31st October target will not be a resignation matter.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    rjsterry wrote:

Except he has said that he doesn’t want no deal. He is only using it as a bargaining tool. Except it is a useless tool if people know that. Much like Boris himself.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    rjsterry wrote:

His opportunist political decisions have trapped him in an increasingly far right position having to continually deny reality. He cannot deliver what he has vaguely promised so will do the Farage trick of changing the promise before having to deliver it.
  • bianchimoon
    PBlakeney wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Except he has said that he doesn’t want no deal. He is only using it as a bargaining tool. Except it is a useless tool if people know that. Much like Boris himself.
    He wants PM on his CV if only for a few months, purely for the after US dinner circuit,
  • rick_chasey
    It's hard to see a BoJo PM as anything but contributing to the rather dramatic downfall of the Tory party.

I can't really see how it ends any other way, realistically.
  • tailwindhome
    It's hard to see a BoJo PM as anything but contributing to the rather dramatic downfall of the Tory party.

It's telling that no one is promoting him for leader/PM based on ability or suitability for the role.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    de Pfeffel will just carry on as usual, lie, deny, emit whatever words he thinks promote his self interest, bluster, busk it and do F all. Article below summarises.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/06/12/the- ... ver-falls/
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

I don't see anyone else doing markedly better.

I think Rory Stewart might have some of the Cameron type electoral appeal. But can't see him getting to the final two, let alone being chosen by the party members.

Even ignoring that, with the lack of parliamentary majority, I don't see him being able to be effective as PM.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Why would a remainer vote for a hard brexit? You would think that anything other than no deal is BRINO but you are in a small minority there.

I'm sure your vote and millions of others would move back to the Tories if Bojo was leading the party. Unfortunately for you (but fortunately for the country), millions of other votes would also leave the Tories at the same time. There are no simple solutions to this (other, arguably, than no deal).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    It's curious - presumably most folk know BoJo is on the fibber spectrum, and folk will put him on various points on that spectrum - but he's still the favourite and still polls relatively better than the others (even if he is also more disliked).

In which case, folk, rather like folk who voted for Trump (and perhaps rather like the entire Italian electorate) don't give a sh!t about integrity, and only really care about the destination.

It's all too easy to see it as the a slippery slope to really quite nasty stuff - I can't really see how it doesn't make that stuff much more likely to happen.
  • rjsterry
    It's curious - presumably most folk know BoJo is on the fibber spectrum, and folk will put him on various points on that spectrum - but he's still the favourite and still polls relatively better than the others (even if he is also more disliked).

In which case, folk, rather like folk who voted for Trump (and perhaps rather like the entire Italian electorate) don't give a sh!t about integrity, and only really care about the destination.

It's all too easy to see it as the a slippery slope to really quite nasty stuff - I can't really see how it doesn't make that stuff much more likely to happen.

Sadly, I think it's as much about who's been on telly. That's a large part of Farage's success - get your face out there more than the other guy (who most likely will want to talk about policy and not be quite so much of a rampant self-publicist) and you will win a lot of votes purely on recognition.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373

Is it because akin to Trump they have courted celebrity and people just recognise their names and think they know them. Which other politicians can you say that of from the perspective of most people where politics is background noise?

People know him as a smart bloke who comes across as a bumbling buffoon and doesn't appear to take himself too seriously being funny with it.
  • rjsterry
    Stewart has jumped to second place in a ConservativeHome poll of members. Is he positioning to be the guy who takes over when Johnson crashes and burns at the end of October?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

Do most people see there being a fibber spectrum?

I think a lot just think they all lie, so it doesn't matter how big or frequent the lies are, if anything the bigger and more frequent the better, almost as if the lies are being their true selves.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... el-farage/

I spotted this on the front page of the telegraph last night.
    Conservative Party donors have opened secret talks with Nigel Farage about an electoral pact which would see the party not stand candidates against the Brexit Party in dozens of seats at a snap general election.

Seems the Tories really are going full von Papen.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jez mon wrote:

Do most people see there being a fibber spectrum?

I think a lot just think they all lie, so it doesn't matter how big or frequent the lies are, if anything the bigger and more frequent the better, almost as if the lies are being their true selves.

Possibly the difference was that in the old days people at least tried to lie reasonably convincingly. Now it's all out in the open - eg Bojo publically telling different people he is in favour of different mutually exclusive policies (which happen to align with however he is talking to at the time). Presumably those he is lying to always think he is telling them the truth and lying to the other person. That's the problem with electing idiots.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/16/exclusive-conservative-donors-open-secret-talks-nigel-farage/

Conservative Party donors have opened secret talks with Nigel Farage about an electoral pact which would see the party not stand candidates against the Brexit Party in dozens of seats at a snap general election.

You have no problem with the Greens and LD's doing this but when the pro-leave side do the same you go all pant wetting
  • kingstongraham
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/06/16/exclusive-conservative-donors-open-secret-talks-nigel-farage/

You have no problem with the Greens and LD's doing this but when the pro-leave side do the same you go all pant wetting

If the Conservative party want to align themselves with Farage, that's up to them. They don't seem to be considering the longer term consequences of it.