LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,818
    PBlakeney wrote:
    As I pointed out to someone on FB, changing the captain after hitting the iceberg wouldn’t have saved the Titanic.
    Quite proud of that one. What does anyone realistically expect to achieve with a leadership change?

A major factor in the Titanic disaster was the reaction after the initial impact, based on a misguided belief that the iceberg couldn't possibly sink the ship. It was the dithering as much as anything that caused the loss of life. So the right leader might be able to salvage something.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    As I pointed out to someone on FB, changing the captain after hitting the iceberg wouldn’t have saved the Titanic.
    Quite proud of that one. What does anyone realistically expect to achieve with a leadership change?

A major factor in the Titanic disaster was the reaction after the initial impact, based on a misguided belief that the iceberg couldn't possibly sink the ship. It was the dithering as much as anything that caused the loss of life. So the right leader might be able to salvage something.

I think the belief that the Titanic was unsinkable would have been a Leave POV.

Unlike on board the Titanic, Remainers have to sail with the ship unless they have dual nationality. (Loss of life was mainly due to lack of lifeboats, not 'dithering'. Hitting the berg was partly due to the lookouts not being given binoculars - they forgot to bring any and I guess it would have been embarrassing to ask passengers for the loan of some!)

If the Captain of the Titanic had got all the passengers together and said "look here chaps*, we can either slow down through the ice field and take a bit longer in safety or press on regardless - it's your choice here are your ballot papers" then at least the choice would have been a more informed one.

*women didn't get the vote till later.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,914
    PBlakeney wrote:

Have said before BoJo as PM makes a calamitous Brexit materially more likely.
    Achieving usually means a positive outcome. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Robert88 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I think the belief that the Titanic was unsinkable would have been a Leave POV.

Unlike on board the Titanic, Remainers have to sail with the ship unless they have dual nationality. (Loss of life was mainly due to lack of lifeboats, not 'dithering'. Hitting the berg was partly due to the lookouts not being given binoculars - they forgot to bring any and I guess it would have been embarrassing to ask passengers for the loan of some!)

If the Captain of the Titanic had got all the passengers together and said "look here chaps*, we can either slow down through the ice field and take a bit longer in safety or press on regardless - it's your choice here are your ballot papers" then at least the choice would have been a more informed one.

*women didn't get the vote till later.

Yeah but if you were female and able to get on deck then you got in a lifeboat. Those chivalrous gets. Obviously if you were poor and locked down below then being female was not an advantage.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    john80 wrote:
    Obviously if you were poor and locked down below then being female was not an advantage.
    Hoary old myth alert! There is no evidence that this happened: none.

BTW it's also a myth that anyone ever claimed the Titanic was unsinkable.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    I haven't costed it.

But I think if I were in charge of tax rates, on point of principle, the personal allowance would equal the living wage *37.5*52
    Ie. Anyone earning the minimum wage wouldn't pay any of it back in tax.

I would also align these with the maximum level of benefits that are allowed
  • rjsterry
    bompington wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    Obviously if you were poor and locked down below then being female was not an advantage.

I think that analogy is now well and truly dismembered. PB will wish he'd never mentioned it. :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    john80 wrote:

I think that analogy is now well and truly dismembered. PB will wish he'd never mentioned it. :)

She was grand when she left Belfast. :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    She was grand when she left Belfast. :)
    Funny, that's exactly how Mrs Bomp says she felt when she left Belfast ;-)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,759
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Is anyone challenging the Tories on how they’re gonna pay for all the tax cuts all the various leadership runners are announcing?
    Most likely it would be additional debt. However as you have said on several occasions, you think that the amount a country borrows doesn't matter - so what's your problem here?

So, as it seems to be becoming clear, I value consistency in political leaders and I think it's fair to hold political leaders to their previously stated convictions. Would you not agree? I am all for politicians changing their mind, if they offer a good reason for why they have done so.

That sort of balanced reasoning isn't going to get you anywhere.
    Thanks for your useful contribution as ever :)

Balance vs bigotry?
    No, I was being a bit sarcastic as you probably realised :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466
    I haven't costed it.

But I think if I were in charge of tax rates, on point of principle, the personal allowance would equal the living wage *37.5*52

Rather than say, cap rent?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pinno wrote:
    I haven't costed it.

Not sure what you mean
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:
    I haven't costed it.

Not sure what you mean

One of the Tory benefit amendments was to cap Housing Benefit. Which to me, is the wrong way round. Cap the rent. They should re-instate Rental Authorities but they'll never do that because M Thatcher was the Tory who removed them.

However, councils are no longer legislators, they are simply enablers. There's no way Government is going to actually hand councils power and give them free reign to set local policy, is there?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,914
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    john80 wrote:

Nope, I still maintain that changing captain after the event would be of little consequence.
    Much like the tories today, or 3 years ago.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    If the campaign to make Brexit impossible without a deal is successful, where will Boris be, if he's PM?
    [Apart from purgatory]
  • rjsterry
    Anyone else hear the Liz Truss interview this morning on R4?

Apparently everyone listing the multiple failings of Johnson is a sign of how brilliant he is. He was brilliant at being Mayor of London; brilliant at being Foreign Secretary; just brilliant! [/fastshow]

On the plus side Truss's idiotic interview can't have improved Johnson's profile... can it?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    rjsterry wrote:
    Anyone else hear the Liz Truss interview this morning on R4?

Apparently everyone listing the multiple failings of Johnson is a sign of how brilliant he is. He was brilliant at being Mayor of London; brilliant at being Foreign Secretary; just brilliant! [/fastshow]

On the plus side Truss's idiotic interview can't have improved Johnson's profile... can it?
    I saw her on Sky this morning, she's totally inspired by chuckabee Sanders, Johnson's campaign will be a mirror of what's going on over there!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Boris Johnson is the only Tory leadership candidate capable of beating both Jeremy Corbyn and the Brexit Party, according to new polling which suggests he would win a crushing 140-seat majority for the Conservatives at the next general election if he was elected Prime Minister.

Quite a simple decision for those Tory MP's that want to keep their seat

This should please all the snowflakes :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,918
    Fairly sure they said the same of May when she joined
  • bianchimoon
    Boris Johnson is the only Tory leadership candidate capable of beating both Jeremy Corbyn and the Brexit Party, according to new polling which suggests he would win a crushing 140-seat majority for the Conservatives at the next general election if he was elected Prime Minister.

Crackin' not only do we not get no Brexit delivery, we can have flowery bridges, water cannons and brits abroad imprisoned.
  • rjsterry

I get his minders' reluctance to let Johnson loose himself but could they not find someone better than Truss to big him up. You could sense Humphrys thinking "why am I even bothering to ask you questions?". Given that by now all politicians know the drill, why do they so often end up sounding like morons when asked very straightforward questions?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Boris Johnson is the only Tory leadership candidate capable of beating both Jeremy Corbyn and the Brexit Party, according to new polling which suggests he would win a crushing 140-seat majority for the Conservatives at the next general election if he was elected Prime Minister.

2016 called. It wants its insult back.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry

Telegraph puffs its star columnist with dubious claims from polling? Never! :lol:

There's some explanation of why the claims of a 140 seat majority are not supported by the poll here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/robfordmancs ... 0791140353
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bianchimoon
    Truss, like all the Johnson backers I've heard so far give the Impression they see him as a figurehead only and that he'll delegate all the real work/responsibility to those MP's who have backed him
  • rjsterry
    Truss, like all the Johnson backers I've heard so far give the Impression they see him as a figurehead only and that he'll delegate all the real work/responsibility to those MP's who have backed him

That was very much his approach to being Mayor.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bianchimoon
    rjsterry wrote:

That was very much his approach to being Mayor.
    Gotta say, it's marginally less frightening than him taking control :?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,358

What happened to your disdain for opinion polls?
  • pinno
    D8131xhXYAEw7Sq.jpg
  • Boris Johnson is the only Tory leadership candidate capable of beating both Jeremy Corbyn and the Brexit Party, according to new polling which suggests he would win a crushing 140-seat majority for the Conservatives at the next general election if he was elected Prime Minister.

What happened to your disdain for opinion polls?

It's the snowflakes reaction to it. Remoaners are now searching for all the ways possible to discredit it :lol:

Remoaners have lost their chance of BRINO by voting it down. That Boris as PM also means a huge majority for the Conservatives is only a good thing for the UK. My vote and millions of others would move back to the Conservatives if a proper Leaver e.g. Boris, was PM.