LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

A nomadic lifestyle with kids is tricky, but otherwise there is no reason why you should need an address.

That's the bit I don't get - why is it anyone else's problem if people choose to live like that, as long as they do park on approved sites?

When travellers park on the local school playground or the supermarket car park, it's then a problem.
    I doubt he objects to continuous cruiser canal boat licences.

Perhaps he would if a mini crime wave seemed to follow the canal boats from mooring to mooring. Or if it cost thousands of pound to clear up the sh1t left behind after they've chugged on down the cut.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596

A nomadic lifestyle with kids is tricky, but otherwise there is no reason why you should need an address.

That's the bit I don't get - why is it anyone else's problem if people choose to live like that, as long as they do park on approved sites?

When travellers park on the local school playground or the supermarket car park, it's then a problem.

Perhaps he would if a mini crime wave seemed to follow the canal boats from mooring to mooring. Or if it cost thousands of pound to clear up the censored left behind after they've chugged on down the cut.

His point was that a nomadic way of life can no longer exist. It is not a crime related article.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

Perhaps he would if a mini crime wave seemed to follow the canal boats from mooring to mooring. Or if it cost thousands of pound to clear up the censored left behind after they've chugged on down the cut.

His point was that a nomadic way of life can no longer exist. It is not a crime related article.
    The report strikes me as coming from someone who wants to tie the travellers down and make them pay taxes. Make them more like him.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638

Quite. Bally seems to have completely missed what MP was actually arguing for.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

People don't object to a nomadic lifestyle what they object to is criminal behaviour
    Nail, may I introduce you to head.
    Having now seen the article, it doesn't seem to be the hateful diatribe I was expecting.
    Yet Parris wants to outlaw not having a fixed address, and doesn't really address the crime point.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    He basically says, without saying it, that gypsies are violent undesirable criminals that noone wants as neighbours and the way we can get rid of them is by saying their way of life is outdated.

I am extremely bad at 'reading between the lines' but this one was pretty bloody obvious what it was trying to say by quite blatantly saying 'but I don't want to say that'
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736

He basically says, without saying it, that gypsies are violent undesirable criminals that noone wants as neighbours and the way we can get rid of them is by saying their way of life is outdated.

I am extremely bad at 'reading between the lines' but this one was pretty bloody obvious what it was trying to say by quite blatantly saying 'but I don't want to say that'

Exactly - it's like the argument Brexit being a proxy for not wanting more immigration
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Could it be that a nomadic way of life can only be supported by undesirable behaviour?
  • shirley_basso
    Not necessarily. The fairground ride business, which is a legitimate means of income and requires travelling - make an effing fortune.

But they are carnies not gypsies so what do I know.

Cambridge has a terrifying gypsy fair every year where every 15 year old boy is wearing a Rolex (genuinely) and every 14 year old girl is caked in makeup and dressed up like a Disney Princess.

Meanwhile, the grownups are having an extremely civilised picnic with a couple of eskies and picnic chairs sat in the shade. Rather enchanting really juxtaposed against the kids - who knows what chaos they cause as I am usually in bed by 9.30.
  • rjsterry

Could it be that a nomadic way of life can only be supported by undesirable behaviour?
    No.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

Quite. Bally seems to have completely missed what MP was actually arguing for.
    If you check back, I was actually responding directly to the posts by KG and the response by BB
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

No.

The ar5e has dropped out of the lucky heather and pegs market and people are wise to the tarmac scams so where do you see the income coming from to sustain their lifestyle?

DeV puts it thus, on the previous page.

It's possible that the association with crime has come because travellers have just adapted to the loss of traditional sources of income - crime suits people who want to earn good money, not be tied down, have relatively little formal education, see themselves as apart from mainstream society - it's a good fit with the traveller culture and where they find socio-economic change has left them.

• surrey_commuter

rjsterry said:

No.

The ar5e has dropped out of the lucky heather and pegs market and people are wise to the tarmac scams so where do you see the income coming from to sustain their lifestyle?

It's possible that the association with crime has come because travellers have just adapted to the loss of traditional sources of income - crime suits people who want to earn good money, not be tied down, have relatively little formal education, see themselves as apart from mainstream society - it's a good fit with the traveller culture and where they find socio-economic change has left them.

I drove to Goodwood Race Course and an old gypsey lady tried to sell me lucky heather, when I declined she peered in the car and commented on what a lovely stereo I had, I bought the heather.

I am still grinning at the effectiveness of her sales pitch
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

No.

That's an answer to a different question. Also somewhat skips over travellers always being on the fringes of society - it's not a new thing. What exactly is this socio-economic change? Mainstream society has been based around people staying put for at least the last few hundred years in this country.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ballysmate

rjsterry said:

No.

I drove to Goodwood Race Course and an old gypsey lady tried to sell me lucky heather, when I declined she peered in the car and commented on what a lovely stereo I had, I bought the heather.

I am still grinning at the effectiveness of her sales pitch

:D

I was always a sceptic but this does seem to be evidence that there is indeed power in that lucky heather. That is assuming your stereo remained attached to your car. It has the power to ward off thieving bastards.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    So you are looking for a job done that is over a grand. Do you A choose the contractor with no contact details other than a mobile number or B do you choose a contractor with an address and some local ties and a known track history.

We all know the answer to the above so they are now in the touring round category for a few quid. In rural county's there is a strong link between people touring and looking round properties and then stuff getting nicked which they obviously then get blamed for even if it is not linked.

Asking the general population to care about the consequences of minorities chosen business model seems unlikely to garner much sympathy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Let's face it persecution and distrust of gypsies and other travelling people is hardly a new thing.
  • ballysmate
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

That's an answer to a different question. Also somewhat skips over travellers always being on the fringes of society - it's not a new thing. What exactly is this socio-economic change? Mainstream society has been based around people staying put for at least the last few hundred years in this country.
    SC's question was

To which you replied with a curt "NO".

I disagreed with you and asked where you saw their income coming from to sustain their lifestyle.

The rest of the quote was a post from DeV regarding the socio-economic change etc, so perhaps he can shed further light on it for you.

Uneducated me thought it was just a fancy way of saying that they have to turn to petty crime to make ends meet.

• ballysmate
    Pross said:

Let's face it persecution and distrust of gypsies and other travelling people is hardly a new thing.

Do you think that distrust is warranted based on real life experiences ?
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Pross said:

If you are a farmer that has been burgled 4 times in the last 5 years with thousands of pounds of farm equipment stolen and had to build a fort within your yard then probably yes. If you live in a city in an apartment and your experience of Gypsies is watching Tyson Fury box on TV then probably not. Perspective is everything as they say.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

Apparently most Irish traveller families in the UK came during the 50s and 60s in search of work because of reduced opportunities in rural Ireland.

The kind of work was often the post war reconstruction - building work etc.

I know settled Irish also came over in large numbers but maybe travelling and relying on casual/temporary work meant that in recession you lost your job - last in first out was a way of determining redundancy - so you needed another way to make money.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    That reminds me of the time Nicky Campbell complimented Raphael Honigstein on how good his English was.

He'd been writing for The Guardian for years by then.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

No.

SC's question was

To which you replied with a curt "NO".

I disagreed with you and asked where you saw their income coming from to sustain their lifestyle.

The rest of the quote was a post from DeV regarding the socio-economic change etc, so perhaps he can shed further light on it for you.

Uneducated me thought it was just a fancy way of saying that they have to turn to petty crime to make ends meet.

Lots of people are poor, under-educated with poor employment prospects and live in temporary accommodation. Only some of them are travellers. They're clearly not all to a man criminals so the answer to SC's question is therefore no. As to what forms of employment are compatible with travelling, I know of quite a few specialist contractors who are in effect nomadic as they need to cover most of the country with a week or so on each job. I obviously haven't made an exhaustive study of all career options, but suggesting there are none at all seems a bit silly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shirley_basso
    edited May 2021
    Funfairs....anyone?

Internal audit
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

Pross said:

If you are a farmer that has been burgled 4 times in the last 5 years with thousands of pounds of farm equipment stolen and had to build a fort within your yard then probably yes. If you live in a city in an apartment and your experience of Gypsies is watching Tyson Fury box on TV then probably not. Perspective is everything as they say.
    I live in a city. The local traveller site is less than two miles away and I see them exercising their horses on the road fairly frequently.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shirley_basso
    you're probably a townie and therefore a criminal yourself
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

I live in a city. The local traveller site is less than two miles away and I see them exercising their horses on the road fairly frequently.
    yep forming a roadblock on the A3 to have a trotting race is something that nobody could deem to be anti-social behaviour

NB: for those not familiar with it the A3 out by the M25 has 3 lanes so to all intents and purposes is a motorway.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

Likewise, very common in certain areas of Bristol. The downs is a popular non permanent spot.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • shirley_basso

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Pross said:

yep forming a roadblock on the A3 to have a trotting race is something that nobody could deem to be anti-social behaviour

NB: for those not familiar with it the A3 out by the M25 has 3 lanes so to all intents and purposes is a motorway.
    How often does this actually happen?

I see them trotting around town from time to time but apart from being a bit of a nuisence to traffic, they aren't that bad.

How did I find myself defending gypsies, I don't know?