LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited March 2019
    bompington wrote:
    Targeting / abusing his kids and publishing their pics though? I would say that's crossing the line. If you think about it, abusing a politician's kids means you are accepting the hereditary principle that what matters is who your Dad is.

We just have to wait 30 years to see won't we? Would you think it a bad bet for Mini JRM being a cabinet minister by then? Would you take the same odds on your own child being a cabinet minister in 30 years? There will be a sense of entitlement there - Mini Mogg may well be just as useless as his dad (or forlorn hope maybe not utterly appalling) but he'll still have far greater opportunity for significant power and influence than any of us and for no good reason.

And in any case, what is JRM junior doing being taken to Chequers for a meeting like this anyway? Might as well get the entitlement training in early.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I bet he's a proper little sh*t though.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    The men who went down to Chequers, IDS, Johnson etc, are referring to themselves as the "grand wizards".

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/11 ... 7485527043

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard
    Thanks, I was visiting the inlaws so missed out on the weekend's news. All I could get was the front cover of the DM and I really couldn't be bothered looking inside, at how some woman really got her curves.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    The men who went down to Chequers, IDS, Johnson etc, are referring to themselves as the "grand wizards".

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/11 ... 7485527043

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Wizard

Looking at those photos of Mogg and the Mogg Sprogg maybe the reference to wizards relates to Harry Potter as they look like they may have been on their way to a Hogwarts theme party at Chequers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Tom Newton Dunn
    (@tnewtondunn)
    Excl: Loyalists urge PM to suspend all Tory MPs who vote against her Brexit deal in pre-emptive strike for upcoming party civil war. Would purge them, as no whip means they can’t stand as Conservatives in an election.https://t.co/jt83Mqyjkk

March 26, 2019

Blimey. Going to get messy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tom Newton Dunn
    (@tnewtondunn)
    Excl: Loyalists urge PM to suspend all Tory MPs who vote against her Brexit deal in pre-emptive strike for upcoming party civil war. Would purge them, as no whip means they can’t stand as Conservatives in an election.https://t.co/jt83Mqyjkk

March 26, 2019

I may be wrong on this but feel the 'rebel' MPs are more likely to be in marginal seats where full blown right wingers are less likely to get elected so going down that route would be a risk as it makes winning a majority less likely.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Tom Newton Dunn
    (@tnewtondunn)

March 26, 2019

I may be wrong on this but feel the 'rebel' MPs are more likely to be in marginal seats where full blown right wingers are less likely to get elected so going down that route would be a risk as it makes winning a majority less likely.

Can somebody explain who the loyalists are
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Rolf F wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Targeting / abusing his kids and publishing their pics though? I would say that's crossing the line. If you think about it, abusing a politician's kids means you are accepting the hereditary principle that what matters is who your Dad is.

We just have to wait 30 years to see won't we? Would you think it a bad bet for Mini JRM being a cabinet minister by then? Would you take the same odds on your own child being a cabinet minister in 30 years? There will be a sense of entitlement there - Mini Mogg may well be just as useless as his dad (or forlorn hope maybe not utterly appalling) but he'll still have far greater opportunity for significant power and influence than any of us and for no good reason.

And in any case, what is JRM junior doing being taken to Chequers for a meeting like this anyway? Might as well get the entitlement training in early.

My god you really do have a chip on your shoulder dont you. If anyone has a sense of entitlement it appears to be you.

Entitled to be bitter, angry and resentful. Is it because youre a jealous massive underachiever? tear down what others have because its not fair. what a complete toss er
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Rolf F wrote:
    Oh god, there's another one and it is just as creepy as the original! Remember folks, this is what is going to be leading us in 30 years time. Another JRM clone with a born right to be in charge of the country (and similarly born at the age of 47 by the looks of it). This is the party that Stevo loves.....

11400790-0-image-a-18_1553459908998.jpg

And so it goes on, year by year, decade by decade. And this is what Brexiters prefer over Europe......

DboFFkLX4AAfcEi-674x1024.jpg

His dad was born aged 49 according to wiki : "24 May 1969 (age 49 years)"

And he is of course the Sprog of the Mogg Sprog. Chief progenitor was William who by all accounts had a difficult start in life:
    William Rees-Mogg was born in 1928 at Bristol, England, into an upper middle class family, the son of Edmund Fletcher Rees-Mogg (1889-1962) of Cholwell House[1] in the parish of Cameley in Somerset, an Anglican by religion, and his Irish American Roman Catholic wife Beatrice Warren, a daughter of Daniel Warren of New York, USA."

He was educated at Clifton College Preparatory School in Bristol and Charterhouse School in Godalming, where he was head boy

But unimpeded by his disadvantaged back ground made good:

he "was the Editor of The Times from 1967 to 1981. From 1975 to 1978 he served as High Sheriff of Somerset, and was also the Chairman of the Arts Council of Great Britain, and Vice-Chairman of the British Broadcasting Corporation's Board of Governors."

He was also a member of the deeply Eurosceptic "European Reform Forum".

Possibly his true abilities were realised when he did National Service:
    In 1946-8, beginning with an exceptionally bitter winter, he did his National Service in the Royal Air Force education department (his poor eyesight ruled out aircrew training) rising to the rank of sergeant. His duties included teaching illiterate recruits to read and write, and his reference from his commanding officer stated that he was competent to perform simple tasks under supervision.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Since when was wearing a perfectly normal pair of glasses in any way comparable to choosing a monocle?
  • robert88
    Since when was wearing a perfectly normal pair of glasses in any way comparable to choosing a monocle?

Have you tried Specsavers? They might be able to help.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Robert88 wrote:

Well thanks, I tried and they say my monocle "makes me look like a twat".
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:
    Since when was wearing a perfectly normal pair of glasses in any way comparable to choosing amonocle?

Well thanks, I tried and they say my monocle "makes me look like a fool".

That's very rude, how did you handle it?
  • robert88
    Robert88 wrote:
    Since when was wearing a perfectly normal pair of glasses in any way comparable to choosing amonocle?

Well thanks, I tried and they say my monocle "makes me look like a fool".

That's very rude, how did you handle it?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    Why on earth are the Tory white men who were in discussions with May on the weekend referring to themselves with a KKK name!?!?!?!?!

I mean, come on.
    It's not clear to me if they chose the nickname or if some wag of a reporter used it. It's rarely the politicians that come up with these labels. And isn't it also a Masonic term?

More dog whistle politics, I think.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 43221.html

The BBC being criticised for the "Grand Wizards" label. Still not clear who Laura Kuennsberg heard the label from.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    UKIP have passed a vote of no confidence in Conservative MP Dominic Grieve.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Be interesting if he stands against them.
  • robert88
    mrfpb wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Why on earth are the Tory white men who were in discussions with May on the weekend referring to themselves with a KKK name!?!?!?!?!

I mean, come on.
    It's not clear to me if they chose the nickname or if some wag of a reporter used it. It's rarely the politicians that come up with these labels. And isn't it also a Masonic term?

More dog whistle politics, I think.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 43221.html

The BBC being criticised for the "Grand Wizards" label. Still not clear who Laura Kuennsberg heard the label from.

Perhaps she was suckered into that one! Every one knows they are the famous Bastards of politics.

Who said this:
    'The real problem is one of a tiny majority. Don't overlook that. I could have all these clever, decisive things which people wanted me to do - but I would have split the Conservative party into smithereens. And you would have said I had acted like a ham-fisted leader.'

'Just think it through from my perspective. You are the Prime Minister, with a majority of 18, a party that is still harking back to a golden age that never was (the Thatcher era), and is now invented. You have three right-wing members of the Cabinet who actually resign. What happens in the Parliamentary party?'

'I could bring in other people. But where do you think most of this poison is coming from? From the dispossessed and the never-possessed. You can think of ex-ministers who are going around causing all sorts of trouble.

'We don't want another three bastards out there.
  • mrfpb
    I remember it well. Lead Bar Steward Michael Portillo is still going strong on This Week - though that will end this summer, and he'll have to find a new platform for his Eurosceptic rhetoric.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    bompington wrote:

Does sound like a concerted effort from a small number of anti-Grieve members - 182 out of about 1000 for the whole Beaconsfield association.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Does sound like a concerted effort from a small number of anti-Grieve members - 182 out of about 1000 for the whole Beaconsfield association.

That seems a very low turnout - did they have to turn up to the meeting and vote in person
  • mrfpb
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:

That seems a very low turnout - did they have to turn up to the meeting and vote in person
    Some former UKIPers have recently signed up and seemingly organised a disgruntled group to pass this.
    BJ and other Leavers seem to be rallying to Grieves defence.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Is a 'Kipper thing, to target non hard Brexit Tories by joining aka infiltrating the local branch of the Con party. Politics in this country is so 'kin broken.
  • surrey_commuter
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:

• surrey_commuter
    mrfpb wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Some former UKIPers have recently signed up and seemingly organised a disgruntled group to pass this.
    BJ and other Leavers seem to be rallying to Grieves defence.

I get that, but a turnout of 30% seems incredibly low.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    orraloon wrote:
    Is a 'Kipper thing, to target non hard Brexit Tories by joining aka infiltrating the local branch of the Con party. Politics in this country is so 'kin broken.

I keep coming back to FPTP no longer being fit for purpose. There are only two vehicles to power in this country so those two vehicles are being manipulated, gamed and subverted in ways that exceed traditional power struggles.

Hate UKIP but the 4 million votes and no representation shows a system no longer fit for purpose. This is the information age and simple left or right politics is not representative of peoples preferences / wishes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    orraloon wrote:

That split has already happened in most of Western Europe so it wouldn’t be altogether surprising for the same split between traditional centre right and nativist far right in the UK
  • Pross
    orraloon wrote:

That split has already happened in most of Western Europe so it wouldn’t be altogether surprising for the same split between traditional centre right and nativist far right in the UK

Surely then we'd end up being a single party country with no one opposing Labour?
  • robert88
    Pross wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Surely then we'd end up being a single party country with no one opposing Labour?

Aren't Labour split too?

Anyway I blame the Monster Raving Loony party. The main UK parties have clearly made their best efforts to demonstrate that they are the looniest of them all and been very successful at it; albeit at nothing else.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Aren't Labour split too?

Anyway I blame the Monster Raving Loony party. The main UK parties have clearly made their best efforts to demonstrate that they are the looniest of them all and been very successful at it; albeit at nothing else.

Yeah.

I have a theory on the impact of the great moderation on the centre politics that i'll write up here somewhere when I can be arsed.