#Festive 500

12346»

Comments

• Done...

It's been relatively easy, with no ice to contend and only one wet day... although the forecasted spring-like temperatures never materialised round here... 7.5 degrees is as high as it got yesterday and today

Agree with you about the temperature. It never got anywhere near the 12 or 13 degrees it was supposed to reach round here. The best my back garden thermometer reached was 8 and I doubt it was much different out on the road. The unbroken sunshine helped round the middle of the day, but either side it was pretty chilly. There was frost around for the first couple of hours, which unnerved me as I shattered my collarbone day 6 three years ago falling on a white road.

Pretty tired now, but 170km today, and a somewhat shorter ride tomorrow should take me to my target, which is 1000km for the 8 days. Maybe they'll send me two roundels…
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Finished today. Felt glad to get it done, but, yeah, pretty straightforward this year.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    20km left, will do it tomorrow on the Brompton I think!

Found it basically OK but if the weather had been like it was on boxing day I wouldn't have bothered - nearly got hypothermia with the rain (on a 60km ride). Only managed 56 christmas eve and then 50 on the 27th due to family stuff, so I left myself a lot to do really.

So I did 115km 28th, 90km 29th, and 106km today. I was really worried getting on the bike for the 90k, but actually it was fine after I got the legs turning. Also feel better after the ride today than I did after the 115km, which is weird as today had a lot more hills and was way harder.

It is really weird how quick you get used to back to back days like that, even though these last 3 rides are probably 3 of my 4 longest rides of the year!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Done! Eventually.... did an extra 1/2km just to be sure.
    Logged into Strava, 499kms completed. Gaaahhhh!!!! Out again for another 1km.
    Total done. 502kms. Another Gaaahhh!!!
    A very pretty day, but bitterly cold. Average -2 DegC.
    That'll teach me for leaving the last leg for Scotland in preparation for Hogmanay.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited December 2019
    Finished! Passed the 1,000 km about 12,35pm, a few minutes from home. Weather pretty benign throughout, apart from day 3, and even then the rain could have been worse. Would have liked it warmer as I feel the cold, but can't complain; no snow, only a few frosty patches on day 7, no howling gales. I'm now preparing to ignore medical advice (about units).
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    pblakeney said:

Done! Eventually.... did an extra 1/2km just to be sure.
    Logged into Strava, 499kms completed. Gaaahhhh!!!! Out again for another 1km.

I had that last year: needed 2 more miles, 0.5 miles from home did my best* Danny macaskill impression and crashed into a wall.
    First aid kit allowed me to finish the ride :D

*terrible
  • bobmcstuff
    I did a 25km cafe ride on the Brompton, 504km total. Nice day for it!

Finished! Passed the 1,000 km about 12,35pm, a few minutes from home. Weather pretty benign throughout, apart from day 3, and even then the rain could have been worse. Would have liked it warmer as I feel the cold, but can't complain; no snow, only a few frosty patches on day 7, no howling gales. I'm now preparing to ignore medical advice (about units).

That is mental, well done!
  • I did a 25km cafe ride on the Brompton, 504km total. Nice day for it!

That is mental, well done!
    Thanks! Mind you, it's less than half what some people did, and I did more last year, but all the same I've been pleased to call today a rest day!

I like your idea of doing part of it on a Brompton. I wonder if anyone else has done something similar? (Penny Farthing, perhaps?) A few years ago someone did the whole 500km in a velodrome. His "route map" was an oval overscored with a lot of red lines. I can see the advantages - no weather, easy access to food, drink, lavatories etc, but a thousand laps would drive me round the twist!
  • bobmcstuff
    I just did it for a change really, after 3×100k days. I only rode to a cafe for coffee and cake!

I'd probably not do the whole 500 on the Brompton, as my average speed is much lower on it compared to my road bike so it would take perhaps 20% or 25% longer - I was already finding it difficult to get out enough, which is why I had to do most of it in the last 3 days.

I would be surprised if nobody has done it before though - there is a pretty dedicated Brompton fanbase, and people do some properly nuts stuff.
  • there are people who do PBP on a Brompton, so it wouldn't be an unseen feat, I reckon
    left the forum March 2023
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Yep, did the 500 on the basis of easy/hard-ish days alternating… and temps weren't bad, effort put in was inconsistent, on some days I was towing 3 people for 50-100k, on others I was in the wheels or solo. Form finding during this time and with the short climbs that I prefer means all I have done is worked out a baseline for short power climbs, in cold weather, and sst efforts on the flat with occasional bursts along sunbury…. So I suppose it could have been worse. It did start dragging along for a bit though… also felt like my numbers were on the rise, sitting at a certain number is not what I call fun but I was happy to pb a couple of climbs over the period, despite weighing more than expected…. (too much trifle).

8029 miles for the year, and 509 for the 500, so that’s that then.

No 500 next year, training needs to be a bit more focussed, and the easy days will be audax based (primarily 200KM audaxes ( got 3 planned))….
  • pblakeney
    I decided to take a look at my stats and they revealed positive results.
    Similar routes at a similar speed so therefore effort.
    Average heart rate for days 1-3 was consistent at 135.
    Then 130 for day 4, and 120 for day 5. Must be a good thing. 😀
    Not to mention less time for munching on the couch and less late night boozing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

I don't think much of HR. The other day I came back after 50 km and within 2 minutes my HR had dropped to 52... didn't think much of it
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I don't think much of HR. The other day I came back after 50 km and within 2 minutes my HR had dropped to 52... didn't think much of it
    An indicator of fitness. I think.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • bobmcstuff
    My performance has definitely improved, I did a standard filler TrainerRoad workout last night and it was noticeably easier than it was earlier in December. Average HR was 9bpm lower and the strava relative effort was 21 vs 40.

Probably need to retest FTP so that's a good thing! Being able to put out more kJ should make it slightly easier to lose weight... maybe.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    yep, it should. I don't measure Heart rate at the moment though perhaps I should. my resting at peak fitness last year was around 46, this year its already 48. oddly my max went up last year or maybe I was overdoing it! (from 180 to 183/4)...
  • Anyone got the roundel yet?
  • pblakeney

Anyone got the roundel yet?

There was a delay by the manufacturer, but no, not yet. They have a Facebook page if you can be bothered to check. I can’t. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • thistle_
    pblakeney said:

There was a delay by the manufacturer, but no, not yet. They have a Facebook page if you can be bothered to check. I can’t. 😉
    No counsel here either yet. There's always a big delay to them for some reason.
  • thistle_
    pblakeney said:

Rapha Facebook:
    we'll be sending these out very soon so do keep an eye out for an email to confirm this.
    Posted about 6pm this evening, but also earlier in the week.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Got the badge today... silver lining in these dark times... :)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Yeah, mine too. Seems a lifetime ago!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • thistle_
    No post today, hopefully mine will turn up...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    what do people do with their badges?
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • thistle_
    Hurrah, mine arrived today. I think I earned it this time - getting run over on day 5 and having to do the last 150 on a single speed MTB :smiley:
    Flâneur said:

I collect them anyway and have a blanket full of badges. I was more than happy to take the badge last year and make my own donation to the charity.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Flâneur said:

It will get stitched on my Brompton front bag with the other