Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Is this cool?

ddraverddraver Posts: 23,212
edited October 2018 in Pro race
Monday morning, let's start with a massive fight...
Dr. Rachel McKinnon @rachelvmckinnon
First transgender woman world champion...ever.*

UCI Masters Track Cycling Women 35-44 Sprint
DpeodPPU8AUEib6.jpg
https://twitter.com/rachelvmckinnon/sta ... 7979173888

The tweets underneath don't do much to help the situation I feel...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
«1345

Posts

  • ddraverddraver Posts: 23,212
    giphy.gif

    :?: :?: :?:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • craigus89craigus89 Posts: 887
    This will end well.
  • carbonclemcarbonclem Posts: 1,000
    I saw a re-tweet where Hatie Kopkins had suddenly got involved with cycling politics over this :(
    2020 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,718
    atomic-mushroom-cloud-explosion-2-2.gif
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 23,212
    You say that Sal, but it does look like every cycling news website has gone. "yeerrrr Nope," at it...

    I suppose coverage of the Masters Track Worlds has never recieved top billling though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1salsiccia1 Posts: 3,718
    I'm broadly in agreement, my gif is a comment on the overall implications for women's sport. It's a valid point of debate though, IMO.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • craigus89craigus89 Posts: 887
    To be fair people should be able to have a discussion about this without feeling like they are going to be attacked by either side because their views don't align. But that is never going to happen on the internet, and I'm not about to weigh in either.
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 10,220
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'm broadly in agreement, my gif is a comment on the overall implications for women's sport. It's a valid point of debate though, IMO.

    Really interesting section in The Sports Gene about sex and performance. Turns out when it comes down to it it's very complicated in the middle and the only determinant they were able to use reliably was testosterone levels.

    I'd suggest reading it anyway as the whole topic turned out to be a lot more complicated than I thought it was.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    I suppose an easy question is - could every trans-woman beat every woman ... on the basis that not every man could beat every woman (hands up who would like to be able to ride as fast as the women in our Olympic Team - mines up!) - then it's not _just_ the fact that it's a trans-gender woman beating a woman.
    However, it does need monitoring to ensure that women's sport isn't dominated by trans entrants
  • david7mdavid7m Posts: 636
    Should be a transgender class :)
    Dave
  • craigus89craigus89 Posts: 887
    Slowbike wrote:
    I suppose an easy question is - could every trans-woman beat every woman ... on the basis that not every man could beat every woman (hands up who would like to be able to ride as fast as the women in our Olympic Team - mines up!) - then it's not _just_ the fact that it's a trans-gender woman beating a woman.
    However, it does need monitoring to ensure that women's sport isn't dominated by trans entrants

    Very true. These are not my feelings, but I suspect that the outrage/concern is about the fact that people could identify as they wish and if they are questioned about their motives then society jumps on them as being intolerant. I don't think that anyone is claiming this persons motives were for that reason, but that is the worry as far as I can tell.
  • Personally I think it's outrageous and makes a mockery of the sport. I've had these beliefs for a number of years and don't think I will ever change. Let me spell it out 35 IS TOO YOUNG FOR A MATERS CATEGORY ESPECIALLY IN THE SPRINT -- AGAINST 44 YEAR OLDS. !!! Let's do the right thing and raise the age
  • ProssPross Posts: 29,626
    Personally I think it's outrageous and makes a mockery of the sport. I've had these beliefs for a number of years and don't think I will ever change. Let me spell it out 35 IS TOO YOUNG FOR A MATERS CATEGORY ESPECIALLY IN THE SPRINT -- AGAINST 44 YEAR OLDS. !!! Let's do the right thing and raise the age

    :lol:
  • Nope, he shouldn’t be cycling v the women
  • dabberdabber Posts: 1,739
    What a load of boll*cks.... oh, perhaps not.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

    Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Calibre Bossnut
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Seems like a pretty hollow victory to me ? God knows how you address this kind of thing though.
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I don't really know how the biology of it all works or what makes men on average faster and stronger than women so the rest of this is basically rubbish but i'll say it anyway!

    If the woman in question is post op and has had the hormone therapy then does that take away the advantage of being a man has?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 23,212
    Therein lies the debate Chris.

    As with all biology the science is just not that clear cut. If it was, we'd all be Chris Froome in the Alps and Chris Hoy on the Flat...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • chris_basschris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I guess one way to find out would be to see if this woman raced pre op as a man and see if their times pre op were faster than post op.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I don't really know how the biology of it all works or what makes men on average faster and stronger than women so the rest of this is basically rubbish but i'll say it anyway!

    If the woman in question is post op and has had the hormone therapy then does that take away the advantage of being a man has?

    If she has lived 25+ years as a man, with male hornone profiles etc, then those “benefits” don’t just disappear.

    I guess it depends where you land on the question of whether there are significant biological differences between male and female.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • So that’s physically a man, ‘winning’ a women’s race. I know blokes generally don’t like getting ‘chicked’ but this takes it a whole new level :lol:
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    of course its cool, she says shes a woman then shes a woman. End of.

    sometimes you lot are in the dark ages.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 23,212
    iainf72 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I don't really know how the biology of it all works or what makes men on average faster and stronger than women so the rest of this is basically rubbish but i'll say it anyway!

    If the woman in question is post op and has had the hormone therapy then does that take away the advantage of being a man has?

    If she has lived 25+ years as a man, with male hornone profiles etc, then those “benefits” don’t just disappear.

    I guess it depends where you land on the question of whether there are significant biological differences between male and female.

    I'm not an expert and this is not a simple topic so please don't take what I say as Gospel but, all the same, this...
    So that’s physically a man, ‘winning’ a women’s race. I know blokes generally don’t like getting ‘chicked’ but this takes it a whole new level :lol:

    ...is wildly over simplistic.

    There would be a decrease in PB's simply becaue hormone treatments would affect the level of testosterone and so reduce performance. From what I've seen, testosterone is the only clear major control on performance. However what that means is that other factors are much harder to pin down and identify. Plus, as iain says, it is not clear how long the benefits of developing from a child into a man last.

    The photo really does not help the cause eh..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    btw what is a strident feminist? is that where she strides because shes got a pair of knackers?
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    and finally.......

    Will womens records start falling now to chicks with Dicks? will there be any biological women record holders in 50 years?

    will women just give up?
  • This made me raise an eyebrow:

    45340143311_8a67e574d0_z.jpg
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 25,498
    This is a good article covering the issues. It focusses on two trans cyclists (one of whom is McKinnon in the original story) and the other is Jillian Beardon. They used to be teammates but had a huge falling out over trans rights in sport.
    McKinnon's attitude is that she should get whatever she wants and screw anyone else, while Beardon recognises that the rights of non-trans women need to be considered and is trying to help to IOC develop their understanding.

    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol ... 995434001/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I bet McKinnon will win, any debate seems to be stifled .

    The trans movement is terribly damaging to women. even the girl guides now welcomes any woman biological or otherwise, any comment or dissent along the lines of recognising the needs of others alongside the trans is leads to ejection.

    this includes parents who apparently have no rights to be concerned that women with big rapey cocks might be sharing sleeping and washing facilities. The world has gone mad and the losers are women.
  • dabberdabber Posts: 1,739
    My view, if there's a doubt, any doubt at all that this doesn't result in a level playing field then they shouldn't be allowed to compete in the women's class.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

    Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Calibre Bossnut
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 7,313
    Well she's not female in the sense that is most relevant to cycling ability, fully support her right to live as a female in ways which don't impinge on the rights and opportunities of women but transgender rights have gone too far in this case.

    If transgender and intersex individuals take these sports up without some kind of testosterone blocking (or whatever the science suggests) then we would wave goodbye to female elite sport.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
Sign In or Register to comment.