Ullrich

124»

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    CarbonClem wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Good on Armstrong to offer to fly out and assist if he can.
    Fair play to him, he actually did it.

Dk5edoVXcAA9Gpl.jpg

At least he had the grace not to make it about himself.

Oh, hang on ...

hahahahaha yup
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    CarbonClem wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Good on Armstrong to offer to fly out and assist if he can.
    Fair play to him, he actually did it.

Dk5edoVXcAA9Gpl.jpg

At least he had the grace not to make it about himself.

Oh, hang on ...

A bit like Madonna supposedly going to talk about Aretha but talking about herself?
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/21/ente ... index.html
  • ocdupalais
    I do actually find the Ullrich/Armstrong pic genuinely quite lovely, though.
  • ocdupalais
    Is that Basso and Vino in the pool behind?
    Always behind...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm not sure leaving treatment is the best idea

https://www.focus.de/kultur/vermischtes ... 12213.html

Nor was doing this TV interview

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7fb25e8565

Clearly getting some bad advice
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • When I saw the interview he gave a week after admission I thought too soon. The degree of dependency and depression he's been through isn't something you get over in a week or even months but can take years of counselling and support and constant vigilance.

From that first article,
    "He can not go back there (Mallorca). In Mallorca he has his contacts and addresses. I'm afraid that he will fall back into his old pattern, so take alcohol and drugs. But you can not tell Jan that, he does not want to hear that. He still thinks he has no problem. "

I'd hoped he'd hit rock bottom but clearly not. People rallied round this time but it looks like he's rejecting their help. They may not be so willing to help next time.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I do actually find the Ullrich/Armstrong pic genuinely quite lovely, though.

?!
    I am genuinly concerned about your mental health.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ullrich was a complete animal during his cycling career. A very strong ( ped enhanced ) animal. Once a mad man, always a mad man.
  • Well he was a strong rider I'm not sure that's connected to his mental health.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ullrich was a complete animal during his cycling career. A very strong ( ped enhanced ) animal. Once a mad man, always a mad man.

Nice way to talk about someone with clear mental health issues... :roll:
  • ocdupalais
    Seems like a fine time to ask: anyone heard any news on how Jan's getting on?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,716
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Seems like a fine time to ask: anyone heard any news on how Jan's getting on?

Was reported recently on the Kleedkamer which was filmed a bit earlier. Rudy Pevenage said that he'd spoken to Ullrich (after Jan had tried him at 2:30am) but that he was living an 'artistic lifestyle' (euphemism) and was explaining to Rudy that it was fine to drink two bottles of whiskey a day because the whiskey he was drinking was oak barrel aged so good for your health...

Rudy basically said in as many words that he's living an addict's life and has pushed everyone who cares for him away.

Ullrich has since responded saying he's moved on from that.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    That's very sad to hear :(
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Armstrong talked about Ulle on his podcast a couple of days ago. Said that he had spoken to him recently, he is doing fine on a personal level (recognising that he still has some criminal charges to face) and has been sober for some time now. Hopefully its true, although I'm not convinced either Lance or Ulle are particularly reliable on this subject...

Incidentally, I just checked Amazon and Daniel Friebe's book on Ullrich is now scheduled for June 2020. I was looking forward to reading that a few years ago - hope it's worth the wait.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    shazzz wrote:
    Armstrong talked about Ulle on his podcast a couple of days ago. Said that he had spoken to him recently, he is doing fine on a personal level (recognising that he still has some criminal charges to face) and has been sober for some time now. Hopefully its true, although I'm not convinced either Lance or Ulle are particularly reliable on this subject...

Incidentally, I just checked Amazon and Daniel Friebe's book on Ullrich is now scheduled for June 2020. I was looking forward to reading that a few years ago - hope it's worth the wait.

Do we know why its delayed? Is it finished or is a final chapter to be written...
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Delayed due to loads on elsewhere for Daniel. Nothing more than that.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Doesn't JU still have some legal issues yet to be resolved?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Craigus89 wrote:
    shazzz wrote:

Do we know why its delayed? Is it finished or is a final chapter to be written...
    Most big cycling books are published in hardback in May/June pre-Tour. So if he's missed this June it will wait a year rather than publish in September.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    So tomorrow Rudy Pevenage's biography gets published.

Some excerpts were published on Sporza and they're pretty graphic. He discusses his own and Ulrich's doping at some length (and the lengths he went to do do both).

An example mentioned is a police raid in the Giro in 2001 in San Remo - he breaks the insulin needle in two and flushes it down the toilet, but he forgot his special coca cola can that was actually a secret medical stash - it looked the same but had a screw top at the top. "super handy" apparently.

He also gives some of the codenames TMobile used for the blood doping regimes - Asterix, Obelix and Ali Baba - Fuentes was Asterix, Jose Luis Merino was Obelix and Ali Baba was the doping courier. He would have Fuentes visit him at the 2004 grand depart alongside the courier to make sure the logistics of the doping programme were all well organised.
  • RichN95.

Jose Luis Merino was Obelix

Did he put babies into a cauldron full of EPO?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    sad. Ullrich is in part a victim of the times he was in...but the world is what you make it I guess.

the guys who were the champions or winners will pay the price of that success compared to the doped up domestiques . not like any of them would have suffered less if they had the leadership role of that time.

I suppose everything else being equal would Ullrich be in hospital now if he had that success ina different era or is personality baked in?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.

sad. Ullrich is in part a victim of the times he was in...but the world is what you make it I guess.

the guys who were the champions or winners will pay the price of that success compared to the doped up domestiques . not like any of them would have suffered less if they had the leadership role of that time.

I suppose everything else being equal would Ullrich be in hospital now if he had that success ina different era or is personality baked in?

Lots of sportsmen struggle to cope after retirement, few were known dopers. The doping will be a factor in all of this, but it won't be the only factor.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    Can imagine Armstrong will be pleased with the biography...