Ullrich

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2019 in Pro race
I don't want to be unkind to someone who's clearly got some problems but christ, Jan Ullrich is a bit of a disaster.

Getting arrested for fighting at a neighbors house in Majorca, now seeking treatment for amphetamine addiction which he's picked up after his wife and kids left.

That said, I never bought into the Big Cuddly Jan got led astray story. He was basically a taller ginger Armstrong from Germany.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
«134

Comments

  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,125
    edited August 2018
    With customary panache the neighbour Ullrich tried fighting was the actor who played the Nazi hating German soldier in Inglourious Basterds

    Ibstills2.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    With customary panache the neighbour Ullrich tried fighting was the actor who played the psychotic Nazi hating German soldier in Inglourious Basterds

    He's the "Northern Contador", isn't he?
  • The Jan loves a disco biscuit.

    It is known.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

    PTP Runner Up 2015
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,125
    RichN95 wrote:
    With customary panache the neighbour Ullrich tried fighting was the actor who played the psychotic Nazi hating German soldier in Inglourious Basterds

    He's the "Northern Contador", isn't he?
    In so much as much of their popularity comes from opposing Armstrong. Having said that, while I preferred Schleck, almost all my antipathy towards Contador came from his fan on here. However, I do appreciate Armstrong on his podcast calling AC a W@nker. I love it when the most British swearword is exported.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    When LA came back for his TDF Astana glory run, muscling in on a clear team GC favourite because of "the cause". That was the term personified, credibility gone for good.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,125
    FocusZing wrote:
    When LA came back for his TDF Astana glory run, muscling in on a clear team GC favourite because of "the cause". That was the term personified, credibility gone for good.
    I don't care about that. I just like foreigners using the word w@nker. The Prince of Wales of swearwords. The Monarch obviously being (unt.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 71,586
    iainf72 wrote:
    I don't want to be unkind to someone who's clearly got some problems but christ, Jan Ullrich is a bit of a disaster.

    Getting arrested for fighting at a neighbors house in Majorca, now seeking treatment for amphetamine addiction which he's picked up after his wife and kids left.

    That said, I never bought into the Big Cuddly Jan got led astray story. He was basically a taller ginger Armstrong from Germany.

    Could probably draw a faint line between a career from a young age fuelled by drugs and seeking drugs to compensate for your messy private life ala Rendell & Pantani If you wanted to...
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,247
    he is/was a tormented person. Whether overeating (supposedly), using recreational drugs etc it all comes back to his mental state. Pantani was the same and recently P.Kennaugh has had issues with depression. Everyone deals with the success (or not) differently. Ullrich was brought up in the E.German system and was the next big thing and would have been but for Armstrong. Jens Voigt came throught the same system but he wasn't expected to be a big achiever and his personality is obviously v.different
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    When LA came back for his TDF Astana glory run, muscling in on a clear team GC favourite because of "the cause". That was the term personified, credibility gone for good.
    I don't care about that. I just like foreigners using the word w@nker. The Prince of Wales of swearwords. The Monarch obviously being (unt.

    https://youtu.be/XPNmG35IyKk?t=25m20s
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ulrich was a quality rider, a human being and very different from Armstrong in that his approach to PED use was much more open. I believe it was Ulrich who said, regarding drug use in the peloton, "if you cant see whats going on I cant help you" and left it like that.

    that matter of fact approach makes him much more of a man than Armstrong or Wiggins.

    No whinging whining or threatening. If only more people would htfu.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,204
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    When LA came back for his TDF Astana glory run, muscling in on a clear team GC favourite because of "the cause". That was the term personified, credibility gone for good.
    I don't care about that. I just like foreigners using the word w@nker. The Prince of Wales of swearwords. The Monarch obviously being (unt.

    https://youtu.be/XPNmG35IyKk?t=25m20s

    You fine person for reminding of that gem. The gameshow that Big Brother, Help I'm Celeb, Love Island, etc share 98% of their DNA with.

    I hardly watch TV, but if I did I imagine I'd complain that there's not nearly enough Cathy Burke on it...
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Ulrich was a quality rider, a human being and very different from Armstrong in that his approach to PED use was much more open. I believe it was Ulrich who said, regarding drug use in the peloton, "if you cant see whats going on I cant help you" and left it like that.

    that matter of fact approach makes him much more of a man than Armstrong or Wiggins.

    No whinging whining or threatening. If only more people would htfu.

    Well done, Vino.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ulrich was a quality rider, a human being and very different from Armstrong in that his approach to PED use was much more open. I believe it was Ulrich who said, regarding drug use in the peloton, "if you cant see whats going on I cant help you" and left it like that.

    that matter of fact approach makes him much more of a man than Armstrong or Wiggins.

    No whinging whining or threatening. If only more people would htfu.

    Bought into the myth 100% then?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,534
    Anyone know what the status of Friebe's book on Ullrich is?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    iainf72 wrote:
    Ulrich was a quality rider, a human being and very different from Armstrong in that his approach to PED use was much more open. I believe it was Ulrich who said, regarding drug use in the peloton, "if you cant see whats going on I cant help you" and left it like that.

    that matter of fact approach makes him much more of a man than Armstrong or Wiggins.

    No whinging whining or threatening. If only more people would htfu.

    Bought into the myth 100% then?

    Not really, those are my thoughts from way back. I also met him a few times socially he wasn’t a tw at
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,537
    dish_dash wrote:
    Anyone know what the status of Friebe's book on Ullrich is?

    I asked him on Twitter and it’s been delayed. Beyond that no firm date.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

    Not really, those are my thoughts from way back. I also met him a few times socially he wasn’t a tw at

    So the multiple arrests for driving under the influence, fairly constant lying over the years, "they were all at it so nothing to be sorry for / wouldn't return my olympic medal" attitude all ok, yeah?

    This has been my position on Ullrich from way back, and his behaviour appears to be proving I'm right.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,125
    Ulrich was a quality rider, a human being and very different from Armstrong in that his approach to PED use was much more open. I believe it was Ulrich who said, regarding drug use in the peloton, "if you cant see whats going on I cant help you" and left it like that.

    that matter of fact approach makes him much more of a man than Armstrong

    Alternatively:
    Armstrong was a quality rider, a human being and very different from Ullrich in that his approach to being a bellend was much more open. I believe it was Armstrong who said, regarding being a bellend, "if you can't see I'm a bellend I cant help you" and left it like that.

    That matter of fact approach makes him much more of a man than Ullrich
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,204
    iainf72 wrote:

    Not really, those are my thoughts from way back. I also met him a few times socially he wasn’t a tw at

    So the multiple arrests for driving under the influence, fairly constant lying over the years, "they were all at it so nothing to be sorry for / wouldn't return my olympic medal" attitude all ok, yeah?

    This has been my position on Ullrich from way back, and his behaviour appears to be proving I'm right.

    I'll stick with Vino's personal experience over your Mary Whitehouse-esque moral distaste.
    Your opener of not wanting to be unkind is clearly disingenuous seeing as you're starting a new thread with it and then stating your disapproval of Ullrich.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 71,586
    iainf72 wrote:

    Not really, those are my thoughts from way back. I also met him a few times socially he wasn’t a tw at

    So the multiple arrests for driving under the influence, fairly constant lying over the years, "they were all at it so nothing to be sorry for / wouldn't return my olympic medal" attitude all ok, yeah?

    This has been my position on Ullrich from way back, and his behaviour appears to be proving I'm right.

    He was quite gracious in defeat.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Anyone know what the status of Friebe's book on Ullrich is?

    I asked him on Twitter and it’s been delayed. Beyond that no firm date.

    Is this a translation of his biography?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

    PTP Runner Up 2015
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,125
    Gweeds wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Anyone know what the status of Friebe's book on Ullrich is?

    I asked him on Twitter and it’s been delayed. Beyond that no firm date.

    Is this a translation of his biography?
    No. Totally new book.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I'll stick with Vino's personal experience over your Mary Whitehouse-esque moral distaste.
    Your opener of not wanting to be unkind is clearly disingenuous seeing as you're starting a new thread with it and then stating your disapproval of Ullrich.

    Not really.

    I've never bought the "big cuddly Jan" myth. There is too much evidence he isn't that different to Armstrong.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,707
    Ulrich, Armstrong, nobody is perfect are they, I know neither but from the outside neither seems that bad to me.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,291
    Back in real life most of us fall way short of the platonic ideal. Seems rather pointless to rank people in order of horribleness.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • I always loved Ulrich.

    He came back from the off season looking like a pro pie eater, and within 4 weeks was at the top of his game again ! Gave me hope lol.

    He was a great rider. His attitude to drugs always seemed nothing like Armstrongs lying controlling sport destroying one.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    iainf72 wrote:

    Not really, those are my thoughts from way back. I also met him a few times socially he wasn’t a tw at

    So the multiple arrests for driving under the influence, fairly constant lying over the years, "they were all at it so nothing to be sorry for / wouldn't return my olympic medal" attitude all ok, yeah?

    This has been my position on Ullrich from way back, and his behaviour appears to be proving I'm right.

    He was quite gracious in defeat.

    One of the things that makes a bloke a bloke is that we do stuff we shouldnt, many of us break rules and some people like to follow rules.

    I quite liked his refreshing approach, ok he wasn't as "professional" as some obsessed athlete watching everything he ate or drank and measuring sleep but that for me is tedious. Jan took drugs partied and then came back out of shape and still kicked ass.

    I suspect wiggins looked up to him and emulated him with his cigarette. he could just never fill his boots.

    Its very different behaviour from the bullying corrosive behaviour of Armstrong.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,280
    Did Ulrich do something to upset Basso?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,534
    Pro cycling is so much more interesting if you don't view it through an Armstrong prism...

    Shame the Friebe book has been delayed. I've been looking forward to it...
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    dish_dash wrote:
    Pro cycling is so much more interesting if you don't view it through an Armstrong prism...

    Sorry for being dense, but what do you mean by this? I'm not antagonising, just curious as I think I agree with you but not sure :lol: