Ullrich

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,743
    andyp wrote:
    Are we going to sit by and tolerate the misogyny from both Vino and De Vlaeminck?

I'm going to call both of you out on that - joking about physical assault is not funny or acceptable.

It wasn't a joke at the expense of the victim more at those of us that had been defending him myself included - I'd been saying he seems ok then he does this - but if you feel it doesn't come across as such apologies.

I hadn't even read the article so for all of know the prostitute is male so how can it be misogyny ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    They’re jumping to conclusions, something I never do :)

It may also have been a trans hooker
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    To stop everyone descending into tedious identity politics, the prostitute was a woman.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • It wasn't a joke at the expense of the victim more at those of us that had been defending him myself included - I'd been saying he seems ok then he does this
    Having worked with people with co-morbidities of mental health and drug/alcohol dependency you hope they can see some sense when presented with the cause of their problems and treatment to aid recovery but they can continue to deceive themselves and pursue destructive behaviours as an easier, even if more painful, option.

Unfortunately for Ullrich he doesn't appear to be listening to himself or others and has yet to reach rock bottom.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    This thread brought to you by 'The News of the World'.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,743
    Anyway having returned home from my bike ride, apologies Andy, whilst as I say my intention was to poke fun at myself and others who had been saying Ulrich was OK I can see how it can come across as belittling male violence towards women - especially as the details posted after are a bit more serious than I had imagined - these forums (not pro race in particular) are a bit male dominated so wouldn't want to contribute to an atmosphere that might make women feel it wasn't for them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    This video of him smoking 4 fags at the same time is quite something

https://www.vip.de/videos/vip-videos/ja ... 9be73.html
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DeadCalm
    iainf72 wrote:

What a complete tosspot. And I'm not referring to Ullrich.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • iainf72
    DeadCalm wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

What exactly are you finding so offensive here?
  • DeadCalm
    iainf72 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

What exactly are you finding so offensive here?
    Your blatant glee at the suffering of a human being who, if half of what is posted is true, is obviously seriously unwell.
    Team My Man 2022:

• iainf72
    Just to address DeadCalm's comment in other thread.

I'm not delighting in anything here. I hope Ullrich gets whatever help he needs and no one who's been on the other side of what he's going through hasn't suffered any harm.

Perhaps the whole "Jan was the nice guy but all a victim of pro cycling" etc didn't do him any favours. The pressure of that over the years. I don't know. I never saw him for that so when I see behaviour that maybe validates what my opinion was going back to when he was riding then it interests me.
  • Vino'sGhost
    iainf72 wrote:
    Just to address DeadCalm's comment in other thread.

I'm not delighting in anything here. I hope Ullrich gets whatever help he needs and no one who's been on the other side of what he's going through hasn't suffered any harm.

Perhaps the whole "Jan was the nice guy but all a victim of pro cycling" etc didn't do him any favours. The pressure of that over the years. I don't know. I never saw him for that so when I see behaviour that maybe validates what my opinion was going back to when he was riding then it interests me.

To be fair,you and others are glorying in his discomfort. Reporting every twist and turn , it’s a bit sick and less than humane.

And I say that as someone happy to prod.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Already in 2004 Ullrich said that he probably had inherited more of the character of his father than he wished. I don't know what prompted him to say this, or exactly what he meant, but maybe he recognised the signs even then. And so perhaps he hasn't been able to counteract them since.

(Ullrich was brought up in financially poor circumstances and even before he was born, his father, an alcoholic with a tendency to aggression, wasn't living regularly at home. Apparently his father badly beat up Ullrich when he was about 6 years old - having already been regularly brutal to his mother. Shortly afterwards his father deserted the family completely).
  • Vino'sGhost
    Q the social workers
  • To be fair,you and others are glorying in his discomfort. Reporting every twist and turn , it’s a bit sick and less than humane.

Pretty much your MO on here for months, right up until WADA pissed on your chips.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    To be fair,you and others are glorying in his discomfort. Reporting every twist and turn , it’s a bit sick and less than humane.

And I say that as someone happy to prod.

hahaha.

Jesus. Irony is dead and has someone on Dutch corner pissing on it
  • Vino'sGhost

Pretty much your MO on here for months, right up until WADA pissed on your chips.

You haven’t read wada full comments have you.
  • Sad pic - Ullrich leads Vandenbrouke and Jimenez - all had that touch of genius/madness

000_app1999092431772_600.jpg
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    He's in a bad way.

And to those who think people are delighting in the sordid details, perhaps people are just interested in a prominent former rider and wanting to see a positive outcome. I'm hoping for one.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • iainf72
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    He's in a bad way.

And to those who think people are delighting in the sordid details, perhaps people are just interested in a prominent former rider and wanting to see a positive outcome. I'm hoping for one.

I think we all are.

It just shows there is a lot more to the cartoon image of the person we see on the bike and being interviewed on the telly.

Good on Armstrong to offer to fly out and assist if he can. Pevenage and others have tried to intervene 8 times in the last 4 months and he's sent them packing every time.
  • He's in the best place.

I don't know the German mental health system and whether a person may choose to go into hospital voluntarily or be detained if necessary but I hope it's the latter as I suspect the risk of him absconding as a voluntary patient would be high.

I also hope the prosecutor in the assault case can impose his detention in hospital so he can get the treatment he desparately needs.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341
    A german hospital cannot keep him against his will. AFAIK the prosecutor cannot direct the hospital to keep him against his will either. The only recourse the law has is to offer him a plea deal to go for treatment instead of a jail sentence. That is obviously way down the line.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,685
    Ah sh!t that's a bad read. I hope he puts himself into a mindset where he can be helped.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    So sad to read these reports. Hope he can get help.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Fair bit of difference between a vanilla closeted life and strangling a prostitute then getting sent to a psychiatric hospital.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Have to say the shooting the TV stuff sounds like there's more of a problem than just a heartbroken/depressed man... :(

Also, I didnt realise Germany had such ready access to guns!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    iainf72 wrote:
    Good on Armstrong to offer to fly out and assist if he can.
    Fair play to him, he actually did it.

Dk5edoVXcAA9Gpl.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,598
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Good on Armstrong to offer to fly out and assist if he can.
    Fair play to him, he actually did it.

Dk5edoVXcAA9Gpl.jpg

At least he had the grace not to make it about himself.

Oh, hang on ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner