European Champs Road Races

Comments

• richard_t._biscuit
    richard_t._biscuit Posts: 246
    edited August 2018
    Crash in the breakaway. 3 riders back up and now back in, but from 4 min to under 2. Probably going to be all back together earlier than one might have expected.
  • At the race but genuinely no idea how many laps left.

How many to go?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    6 or 7 I think
  • 7 according to my quick maths. TV coverage doesn't help that much more.
  • Cheers lads
  • 7 laps to go. Breakaway has 2.20 across the line.
  • Split in the peloton. Sagan in the back.

Edit: Kristoff too. Norway organising to get back on. Sagan pulling off the back, looks done.
  • 6 to go. Break away 1:18. Sagan abandoned.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    3 laps, 1:13, leading group away, peleton rolling through.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    The 10 leaders:
    ES Herrada
    IT Trentin, Cimolai
    BE Meurisse, Van Aert
    DE Denz
    CH Albasini
    FR Perichon
    NL Lammertink, Van der Poel
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    but I thought the lack of race radios was supposed to make these races exciting :lol:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Last lap about to begin
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    awavey wrote:
    but I thought the lack of race radios was supposed to make these races exciting :lol:
    Nice autumn club run
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    davidof wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    Nice autumn club run

Its the power meters killing the racing on these short cimbs. They're all just riding to the same power for 6 hours
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    awavey wrote:

Not sure it's down to that so much as the distance but it's been incredibly boring so far. (That's not unusual though).
  • orraloon
    Ooyah. Crash and split.
  • mfin
    I spoke too soon. Get down :)
  • mfin
    Well that was crap.

You wouldn't be able to make a 30 minute highlights programme out of one corner with a few hitting the deck.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Well played Italy...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    So who won?
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Lucan wrote:
    So who won?
    1. Trentin
    2. Van deer Poel
    3. Van Aert
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Is it worth watching? Sounds like a snore fest. I’ve just sat through several Utah stages, it’s so dull I’m considering a turbo to get the adrenaline going.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    What a terrible course that was. About as boring as it could possibly get. I truly hope no one thought they'd give cycling a watch for the first time today.

Utter rubbish.
  • orraloon
    Nah, not really. As Boardman commentated, a hard day of 230km with 4,000m+ of climbing in a city circuit, all short sharp ramps, 112 climbs in total, so sharp efforts, no real opp to push it on a long climb to open a gap with well matched riders. Watch the last lap.

[edit. Replying to VG above. I watched it on and off as was raining]
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    About standard fall asleep watching factor.
    I'm a cyclist, so I quite enjoy watching paint dry and I am getting past taking part in races myself spitting grit out of the mouth so it is nice to see the ritual stil taking place.
    However, I dont expect any fireworks at the Innsbruck Worlds either.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Is it worth watching? Sounds like a snore fest. I’ve just sat through several Utah stages, it’s so dull I’m considering a turbo to get the adrenaline going.

Well I fell asleep so it probably does qualify as a snore fest, I woke up to the French commentators shouting dementedly in the final 100 meters.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • The course worked for the British champs and the Commonwealth Games. Riders make the race.
  • Apart from it being on a 14km circuit, it played out like your typical attritional spring classic, albeit maybe 10C warmer. The Belgians were riding it like a home kermesse and did a lot of damage with their tactics earlier in the race which is probably why the last couple of laps played out as they did.

After seeing that race I am now in favour of race radios as there are many times tactics would have occurred differently e.g. the French chasing down the final break sooner.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Won by a rider who has been banned for salbutamol. Assume everyone is outraged...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    As it was a multi-games championship I'll mention this here. I can't find a video but you have to feel for the Israeli athlete in the women's 5000m who did her best to cheer up those cyclists who've celebrated too soon by inexplicably sprinting a lap early and crossing the line celebrating a silver medal whilst the bell was ringing. She stopped completely before realising her mistake and collapsed in tears at the end after finishing 4th (I think).