European Champs Road Races

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
edited August 2018 in Pro race
Can't see a thread for this? Women's race was interesting, lack of radios seemingly making a big difference.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Can't see a thread for this? Women's race was interesting, lack of radios seemingly making a big difference.

Good race for the last 30 minutes. Lack of team radios meant lots of teams were chasing down their own riders. In the end the Dutch did everything they could to lose the race
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Can't see a thread for this? Women's race was interesting, lack of radios seemingly making a big difference.

Good race for the last 30 minutes. Lack of team radios meant lots of teams were chasing down their own riders. In the end the Dutch did everything they could to lose the race
    Was it the lack of radios that did that or internal rivalries within the Dutch team?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    It was bizarre - the whole race every break had at least one rider that wouldn't work - the Dutch has 2 in a break or 5 and 1 in a break of 2 and still chased them down!

Thought GB wasted riders early on but maybe they weren't riders with the legs to be there at the end whatever.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    When's the men's race ?
  • RichN95.
    sherer wrote:
    When's the men's race ?
    Next Sunday. Time Trials on Wednesday.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    When's the men's race ?
    Next Sunday. Time Trials on Wednesday.

The knock on of the road closures for Wednesday is causing a bit of fuss in other sports - semi pro football games postponed on Wednesday evening because parts of the city are being closed off (though one of the teams involved is not happy and wants the game played regardless).
  • Bizarre? Definitely, but I think a better word to the last 20kms was naive, almost silly.
    Not sure what certain riders were playing at, but the dunces hat award has to go to the dopey Dutch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Bizarre? Definitely, but I think a better word to the last 20kms was naive, almost silly.
    Not sure what certain riders were playing at, but the dunces hat award has to go to the dopey Dutch.
    They were either racing against each other or trying to engineer a certain result. Even in the final sprint there were three Dutch riders doing god knows what as Vos wasn't one of them. They made Movistar look like chess grandmasters.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    The end of the race today was embarrassing. A really poor advert for women's racing.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I'd be surprised lack of race radios was the cause of that as arguably the women get far more experience of racing without radios on the whole as it's another expense only the top pro teams pay for. & it wasnt like tv coverage was capturing every aspect anyway and there seemed to be only one time gap point

I think as RichN95 says the Dutch just couldn't decide who they were racing for and it cost them the win. Vos launching that attack on the last climb you could see Bronzini gave her such a look of 'wth are you doing' but ultimately that injection of pace plus the mucking around by the leaders brought them all together again, though do think half the group at the end weren't switched on to the situation they were actually in till it was too late,a ds screaming in their ear might have woken a few of them up
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    gsk82 wrote:
    The end of the race today was embarrassing. A really poor advert for women's racing.
    I don’t agree with that. It was a poor advert for Nl’s team tactics but the race itself had plenty of action and certainly was more interesting than some of the bum numb-ers during the first week of the TdF

I have a personal interest in the course because I used to bike home from the Strathclyde Uni Royal Collage building which meant joining Montrose St halfway up. Doing that from a standing start on a 48x23 bottom gear (IIRC) was a bit of a challenge
  • RichN95 wrote:

Was it the lack of radios that did that or internal rivalries within the Dutch team?

Lack of race radios was definitely something to do with it. At one point the Brits were chasing down their own rider for 15 minutes until they got the message and I'm sure Germany did the same early on.

For the Dutch women, who knows? Maybe they were trying to engineer a 1-2-3 but it is tactics I can't explain especially when they rode so well as a team in last years World Champs. As someone else posted the comment 'dopey Dutch' which sums it up perfectly
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 97
    It was a great atmosphere out there in the crowds and kudos to the house on Great George Street giving out free tea and coffee! #peoplemakeglasgow
  • RichN95.
    semi pro football games
    Otherwise know as the Scottish Premier League.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    If you watch the other women's races over the year you'll see tactics is still something they need to improve.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Isn't this the kind of thing people want to see in men's road races?
  • RichN95.
    davidof wrote:
    If you watch the other women's races over the year you'll see tactics is still something they need to improve.
    I remember on Eurosport as few years ago (back when Cooke was riding)

Commentator: Sean, what do you thing of tactics in women's cycling

Sean Kelly: I think it would be a good idea
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    One reason for that might be that there is still a very significant disparity in ability through the peloton, although that seems to be reducing. So tactics weren't always as important because riders have been able to win just by being way stronger. Maybe.
  • Isn't this the kind of thing people want to see in men's road races?

In a word. No.
    I almost got a headache from shaking my head so much.
  • RichN95.
    Lack of race radios was definitely something to do with it. At one point the Brits were chasing down their own rider for 15 minutes until they got the message and I'm sure Germany did the same early on.
    And this is at the essence of the radio debate. Race radios are their to tell riders the race situation so that they can make informed tactical decisions. The stereotype is that DSs are calling the shots, but whenever the riders talk about tactics it's the team leader or road captain doing it.

Eliminating race radios will just mean that decisions are made with less information. And in any field less information ultimately leads to more conservative actions.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Funny, on page 2, I was expecting someone to have at least mentioned who won by now!
  • effillo wrote:
    Funny, on page 2, I was expecting someone to have at least mentioned who won by now!

1 BASTIANELLI Marta
    2 VOS Marianne
    3 BRENNAUER Lisa
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    effillo wrote:

1 BASTIANELLI Marta
    2 VOS Marianne
    3 BRENNAUER Lisa

Did I imagine it or was Brennauer also riding the track the other day?
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    effillo wrote:

1 BASTIANELLI Marta
    2 VOS Marianne
    3 BRENNAUER Lisa

She won the IP, beating Archibald in the final
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    effillo wrote:

1 BASTIANELLI Marta
    2 VOS Marianne
    3 BRENNAUER Lisa

She won the IP on Saturday
  • poppit wrote:
    effillo wrote:

1 BASTIANELLI Marta
    2 VOS Marianne
    3 BRENNAUER Lisa

She won the IP, beating Archibald in the final

Yer, who would have thunk it?
    Road racer makes the transition to the track and beats the umpteenth time winner of the event.
    Not normal. :lol:

In all seriousness, I noticed that quite a few roadies are at the track championships.
    OK Viv we would expect, but both the Italian road race champions rode the team pursuit.
    Seems it's not just the likes of the UK and Denmark any more.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    they only do it as a masking agent :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • DeVlaeminck
    RichN95 wrote:
    And this is at the essence of the radio debate. Race radios are their to tell riders the race situation so that they can make informed tactical decisions. The stereotype is that DSs are calling the shots, but whenever the riders talk about tactics it's the team leader or road captain doing it.

Eliminating race radios will just mean that decisions are made with less information. And in any field less information ultimately leads to more conservative actions.

But in so doing created a more chaotic and exciting race !
  • I was doing the Lead Car announcements yesterday. On the ground it was a great race to watch. Ok it was a bit 3rd cat at times with an attack happening almost as soon as each break was caught.

From a British perspective Sophie Wright did a great job. As a former cyclocross jnr euro champ she knows how to dig deep for 90mins and that is what she did, taking the pressure off the rest of british team allowing Dani to get in the break of 3 with Anna and Elise... If those 3 had worked better together and allowed the 2 bridgers on earlier they would have stayed away for a better result for Dani.

But too many big names in the Dutch squad. It was only at Montrose St on last lap that I saw Vos put her nose in the wind whereas the other Dutch had all been in long breaks. I think the Dutch hoped for a break to stay away on the bumpy technical course instead of a sprint.

Lots of genuine praise for the Glasgow course from the Euro teams.

Other than London 2012 has the UK ever had reigning Olympic, World and Euro champions from road and as well as CX and multiple podiums all racing in the one day?

Sunday for the mens race will be AWESOME.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    But in so doing created a more chaotic and exciting race !
    Road racing's new sponsor:
    lottery1_big.jpg