European Champs Road Races

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:
    Lack of race radios was definitely something to do with it. At one point the Brits were chasing down their own rider for 15 minutes until they got the message and I'm sure Germany did the same early on.
    And this is at the essence of the radio debate. Race radios are their to tell riders the race situation so that they can make informed tactical decisions. The stereotype is that DSs are calling the shots, but whenever the riders talk about tactics it's the team leader or road captain doing it.

Eliminating race radios will just mean that decisions are made with less information. And in any field less information ultimately leads to more conservative actions.

But in so doing created a more chaotic and exciting race !
    Not necessarily sure that a race where every break gets chased down immediately would be more exciting...

Maybe they should just do some stages without it.

Or maybe some stages where they mix up all the radios and put the riders on with DSs from other teams so they can feed the riders misinformation. The "Fake News" stage.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I always think non-trade races have weird and confusing tactics anyway. I tend to know what most trade teams are bringing to a race and what they might be trying, but as soon as it's all mixed up and they're in national kit I'm lost.

Oh and riders chasing their own teammates because they didn't know isn't exciting, it's farcical. Cycling has a current surplus of farce, we don't need any more, thank you very much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd chuck this here. Seeing that the swimming champs in Glasgow has a mixed medley today got me thinking, does anyone think a mixed team pursuit would be a good addition to the major track champs? It would make for some interesting tactical decisions but can't recall ever seeing it done.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Maybe the Revolution series could test this out.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd chuck this here. Seeing that the swimming champs in Glasgow has a mixed medley today got me thinking, does anyone think a mixed team pursuit would be a good addition to the major track champs? It would make for some interesting tactical decisions but can't recall ever seeing it done.
    The swimming worked because both men and women had to do the same amount of swimming on their own.

In the pursuits that wouldn't be the case. It's worth pointing out that in these championships all three medallists in the Men's individual pursuit did the 4k faster than the fastest run in the Women's team pursuit. The clear tactic would be for the slower woman to drop out immediately and the faster one to get paced around as best as possible by the two men. It would be no different than having an individual pursuit behind a derny, unless you mandated that each rider does equal turns.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    I always think non-trade races have weird and confusing tactics anyway. I tend to know what most trade teams are bringing to a race and what they might be trying, but as soon as it's all mixed up and they're in national kit I'm lost.

Oh and riders chasing their own teammates because they didn't know isn't exciting, it's farcical. Cycling has a current surplus of farce, we don't need any more, thank you very much.

Is this not partly down to lack of experience without radios?

I mean there were a good 80 years of cycling with no race radios and they weren't all chasing each other all the time.
  • bobmcstuff

I mean there were a good 80 years of cycling with no race radios and they weren't all chasing each other all the time.
    I was thinking this, isn't the road captain's job to police who is going in the break and decide if it goes or not.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The swimming worked because both men and women had to do the same amount of swimming on their own.

In the pursuits that wouldn't be the case. It's worth pointing out that in these championships all three medallists in the Men's individual pursuit did the 4k faster than the fastest run in the Women's team pursuit. The clear tactic would be for the slower woman to drop out immediately and the faster one to get paced around as best as possible by the two men. It would be no different than having an individual pursuit behind a derny, unless you mandated that each rider does equal turns.

I'm not convinced. That's the sort of thing I was wondering about, whether you put a slow rider on the front to burn them up in the first km (maybe a strong female kilo rider) or riders doing half turns so that the stronger riders get a rest and can then go even faster at the end. I'd still be interested to see how teams would approach it and think you'd get various strategies.
  • Anybody know what time the race is due to finish on Saturday? Gonna see if I can watch it and then get back through to Stirling to see that David Millar film at the Macrobert.

Also is there a start list?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    When's the men's race ?
    Next Sunday. Time Trials on Wednesday.

The knock on of the road closures for Wednesday is causing a bit of fuss in other sports - semi pro football games postponed on Wednesday evening because parts of the city are being closed off (though one of the teams involved is not happy and wants the game played regardless).

Love that this is noising up the football fans! My mate is a Clyde supporter, wonder if they're meant to be playing and if he'll have a rant at me for being a cyclist. :lol:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I was thinking this, isn't the road captain's job to police who is going in the break and decide if it goes or not.

I don't know if everyone commenting watched the race but they didn't chase down everyone as soon as they tried to get away like some 3rd cat race.

Of course it's one race and may not indicate that lack of radios would necessarily make a race more exciting but in this case it certainly seemed to contribute to the entertainment.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    Anybody know what time the race is due to finish on Saturday? Gonna see if I can watch it and then get back through to Stirling to see that David Millar film at the Macrobert.

First of all it's on SUNDAY, not Saturday. It finishes around 4-4.30.

This is the entry list. These are the countries squads from which the final teams will be chosen: https://www.europeanchampionships.com/r ... ce-men.htm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm not convinced. That's the sort of thing I was wondering about, whether you put a slow rider on the front to burn them up in the first km (maybe a strong female kilo rider) or riders doing half turns so that the stronger riders get a rest and can then go even faster at the end. I'd still be interested to see how teams would approach it and think you'd get various strategies.

How about a relay, say 4.75 kms, so each rider does a min of 1 km and then have a lap to handsling in the next rider....
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Eliminating race radios will just mean that decisions are made with less information. And in any field less information ultimately leads to more conservative actions.

Over the long run i don't buy that.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I'd say if you think the chasing group are less clued up then you're more likely to think a breakaway would stick?
  • bobmcstuff
    I'd say if you think the chasing group are less clued up then you're more likely to think a breakaway would stick?

I would have assumed the opposite, I would have thought they would be much more cautious about the amount of time they let the break take (bearing in mind they do still get time checks from the motos)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I'm really not all that interested in "excitement" that's generated by riders not having the correct info and therefore making a mistake. Why not go all the way and take the race numbers off and let them ride in masks? Why not make them ride a route where they don't know where the finish line is? What's it all for anyway, just to give a break a better chance of staying away?

Anyone proposing this is a good thing ought to refresh themselves on The Stolen Vuelta.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    RichN95 wrote:

Over the long run i don't buy that.

It's very hard to know what the conservative action is if you don't have perfect information. So for example if a rival attacks but you have 3 domestiques 20 seconds from making contact with your group the conservative thing is to wait and let them ride the rival down. If you have no idea where your domestiques are the conservative thing is what...I don't think it's obvious.

My take is it means the race becomes less controllable so it favours the risk taker and disfavours (if that is a word) the strongest teams.

When people say they don't want excitement created by mistakes why not? It's still up to opposition riders to put them in a situation where they have to make the call - it's part of racing it's not like they are told the course could go left and right and if they take the wrong turn it's a dead end.

And can we get away from this idea it's all a out breaks staying away on long flat stages. It's not, it's about those situations such as Landa or Quintana or Valverde going up the road in the Tour this year and how the favourites react. Teams can pull unimportant breaks back with or without radios - the issue is about key decisions at key points that crop up every so often in races where radios do help the stronger team use that strength to its greatest advantage.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    It's very hard to know what the conservative action is if you don't have perfect information. So for example if a rival attacks but you have 3 domestiques 20 seconds from making contact with your group the conservative thing is to wait and let them ride the rival down. If you have no idea where your domestiques are the conservative thing is what...I don't think it's obvious.
    But good teams would ride together as a block for most of the race so they know where the domestiques are. They already do that in most races, why would they change tactics because of a lack of radios?

In most areas of life people who lack information about a situation will act defensively.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

When people say they don't want excitement created by mistakes why not? It's still up to opposition riders to put them in a situation where they have to make the call - it's part of racing it's not like they are told the course could go left and right and if they take the wrong turn it's a dead end.

Mistake was maybe the wrong word. It can be argued that Dumoulin made a mistake in not chasing Froome alone in the Giro - he made a decision to wait for Riechenbach which cost him time (personally I think he would have been cooked if he tried t go it alone, but that's another story). But there was a tactical decision, made on the road, with accurate information available.

If, for some strange reason (and I can put up a hypothetical scenario for you if you really want - again, think the Stolen Vuelta) he didn't know Froome had attacked and therefore just dawdled along then that's not a mistake, it's making the correct tactical decision based on faulty or missing information. I don't think that would be "exciting", I think that would be farcical.

I want to see riders make tactical decisions based on accurate information. Otherwise it *is* like not being told the course but taking a wrong turn to a dead end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Vuelta_a_Espa%C3%B1a
  • rick_chasey

Mistake was maybe the wrong word. It can be argued that Dumoulin made a mistake in not chasing Froome alone in the Giro - he made a decision to wait for Riechenbach which cost him time (personally I think he would have been cooked if he tried t go it alone, but that's another story). But there was a tactical decision, made on the road, with accurate information available.

If, for some strange reason (and I can put up a hypothetical scenario for you if you really want - again, think the Stolen Vuelta) he didn't know Froome had attacked and therefore just dawdled along then that's not a mistake, it's making the correct tactical decision based on faulty or missing information. I don't think that would be "exciting", I think that would be farcical.

I want to see riders make tactical decisions based on accurate information. Otherwise it *is* like not being told the course but taking a wrong turn to a dead end.

Not really.

Knowing your team mate is in the front group, but, for example not knowing he’s blowing hard and not contributing because he’s pooped is quite a lot of extra information over “these three are in the break at x minutes”

I sort of like the idea that to get additional information beyond the composition of group and time gaps you need proximity.

I don’t think the 1.HC and below races we saw when race radios were banned had more conservative riding.

I think if affects races a lot less than people think because, for a few notable exceptions, those races played out as expected.

When Froome was being dropped in the Tour this year, the riders didn’t instantly notice and Froome had the luxury of radioing to Berbal to tell him to chill. Only after that did his rivals notice and attack. I personally would hve liked it that he shout to Berbal to get his attention.

The same on the other side in 2012 when Froome made the move and the radio told him to come back.

I like the idea that proximity to the action has a genuine advantage and deep down I think it honestly favours the more attacking minded, albeit it’s quite a small impact.
  • Anybody know what time the race is due to finish on Saturday? Gonna see if I can watch it and then get back through to Stirling to see that David Millar film at the Macrobert.

It's Sunday.

Start lists are not published until 5pm the evening before.

WOMEN'S TIME TRIAL FINAL THURSDAY 8 AUGUST 2018 09:00 RIVERSIDE MUSEUM - GLASGOW GREEN Race distance 32.3Km

Surname, Name UCI ID
    Communique 1
    Country Code

09:00
    JASEKOVÁ, Tatiana
    SVK

09:01
    LAIZANE, Lija
    LAT

09:02
    BURNS, Eileen
    IRL

09:03
    SHAPIRA, Omer
    ISR

09:04
    SHEKEL, Olga
    UKR

09:05
    LØNNE, Rikke
    DEN

09:06
    PLIASKINA, Anastasiia
    RUS

09:07
    PLICHTA, Anna
    POL

09:08
    LABOUS, Juliette
    FRA

09:09
    WORRACK, Trixi
    GER

09:10
    CAVALLI, Marta
    ITA

09:11
    MURPHY, Kelly
    IRL

09:12
    COVRIG, Ana Maria
    ROM

09:13
    PAVLUKHINA, Olena
    AZE

09:14
    MACHAČOVÁ, Jarmila
    CZE

09:15
    GAFINOVITZ, Rotem
    ISR

09:16
    HANSELMANN, Nicole
    SUI

09:17
    RITTER, Martina
    AUT

09:18
    RAGAZINSKIENE, Daiva
    LTU

09:19
    KONONENKO, Valeriya
    UKR

09:20
    LEPISTÖ, Lotta Pauliina
    FIN

09:21
    GULLIKSEN, Line Marie
    NOR

09:22
    BUJAK, Eugenia
    SLO

09:23
    MATHIESEN, Pernille
    DEN

09:24
    OYARBIDE JIMENEZ, Lourdes
    ESP

09:25
    SYRADOEVA, Margarita
    RUS

09:26
    SIMMONDS, Hayley
    GBR

09:27
    PAWLOWSKA, Katarzyna
    POL

09:28
    VAN DER BREGGEN, Anna
    NED

09:29
    CORDON RAGOT, Audrey
    FRA

09:30
    BRENNAUER, Lisa
    GER

09:31
    LONGO BORGHINI, Elisa
    ITA

09:32
    DUYCK, Ann-Sophie
    BEL

09:33
    VAN DIJK, Ellen
    NED
  • MEN'S TIME TRIAL FINAL THURSDAY 8 AUGUST 2018 13:00 RIVERSIDE MUSEUM - GLASGOW GREEN Race distance 45.7Km

Surname, Name UCI ID
    Communique 2
    Country Code

13:00
    BAGDONAS, Gediminas
    LTU

13:01
    GOLOVASH, Oleksandr
    UKR

13:02
    MACHADO, Tiago
    POR

13:03
    DUNBAR, Edward
    IRL

13:04
    OVECHKIN, Artem
    RUS

13:05
    BÁRTA, Jan
    CZE

13:06
    MATHIS, Marco
    GER

13:07
    QUAADE, Rasmus Christian
    DEN

13:08
    TANFIELD, Harry
    GBR

13:09
    DE LA PARTE, Victor
    ESP

13:10
    VAN BAARLE, Dylan
    NED

13:11
    PAILLOT, Yoann
    FRA

13:12
    LAMPAERT, Yves
    BEL

13:13
    MOSER, Moreno
    ITA

13:14
    NAVARDAUSKAS, Ramunas
    LTU

13:15
    LUDVIGSSON, Tobias
    SWE

13:16
    SAMOILAU, Branislau
    BLR

13:17
    GRIVKO, Andrey
    UKR

13:18
    GONÇALVES, José
    POR

13:19
    BRÄNDLE, Matthias
    AUT

13:20
    ČANECKY, Marek
    SVK

13:21
    EVTUSHENKO, Alexander
    RUS

13:22
    ČERNÝ, Josef
    CZE

13:23
    KÜNG, Stefan
    SUI

13:24
    BIALOBLOCKI, Marcin
    POL

13:25
    SCHACHMANN, Maximilian
    GER

13:26
    MADSEN, Martin Toft
    DEN
    13:27

DOWSETT, Alex
    GBR

13:28
    CASTROVIEJO, Jonathan
    ESP

13:29
    VAN EMDEN, Jos
    NED

13:30
    GOUGEARD, Alexis
    FRA

13:31
    GANNA, Filippo
    ITA

13:32
    MULLEN, Ryan
    IRL

13:33
    CAMPENAERTS, Victor
    BEL
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:
    MEN'S TIME TRIAL FINAL WEDNESDAY 8 AUGUST 2018 13:00 RIVERSIDE MUSEUM - GLASGOW GREEN Race distance 45.7Km..
    FTFY
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Alan Ha Ha wrote:
    MEN'S TIME TRIAL FINAL WEDNESDAY 8 AUGUST 2018 13:00 RIVERSIDE MUSEUM - GLASGOW GREEN Race distance 45.7Km..
    FTFY

hahahahaha organisers error, I just copy and pasted.

http://uec.ch/resources/2018%20Events/2018%20Glasgow/road/lists/tt_start_men.pdf
  • RichN95.

Not really.

Knowing your team mate is in the front group, but, for example not knowing he’s blowing hard and not contributing because he’s pooped is quite a lot of extra information over “these three are in the break at x minutes”

I sort of like the idea that to get additional information beyond the composition of group and time gaps you need proximity.
    A counter example from the last Tour - first proper mountain stage. Nieve gets in the break clearly with a view to helping Yates in the finale somehow. However, Yates struggles and is dropped. Immediately, Nieve gets told and he attacks, almost winning the stage.

Without radios? Either he sits in the group clueless until they are caught or, more likely, he never goes with the break in the first place.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    RichN95 wrote:

Not really.

A counter example from the last Tour - first proper mountain stage. Nieve gets in the break clearly with a view to helping Yates in the finale somehow. However, Yates struggles and is dropped. Immediately, Nieve gets told and he attacks, almost winning the stage.

Without radios? Either he sits in the group clueless until they are caught or, more likely, he never goes with the break in the first place.
    Presumably there would have been a M-S car behind the break from which he would be getting information when he went back to get a drink? Likewise, domestiques in the peloton will be getting information from the team car. The information will be there, it just won't be as immediate, right?

I don't have a strong view either way. When did they start using race radios? Were there noticeable changes as a result?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

The 'stolen' Vuelta could almost certainly never happen these days with or without radios but, even so, not paying attention and allowing a rival to disappear so far up the road without noticing, that's pretty lame.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Not really.

Or he notices Yates is dropping from the group (since they still get info on the race situation). You know they still get time gaps, radio or no radio, right?

I still don’t see why riders can’t just be tuned into race radio and press a button or have some electronic signal that radios they have a mechanical.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2018
    I still don’t see why riders can’t just be tuned into race radio and press a button or have some electronic signal that radios they have a mechanical.
    What if they don't speak the language of race radio?

I say keep them and broadcast the interesting bits from the DS's end (which might show the public that the DSs aren't usually the ones making the tactical decisions).