TDF 2019, Stage 21: Houilles > Paris Champs-Élysées 29/07/2018 - 116 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Many thanks to Blazing for all the effort.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Well, it's true, there's no class about it, or any other romanticising term. The guy knew when it wasn't his and was happy riding knowing one of his best riding mates is going to win it instead, anyone would do and feel the same. It's plain normal and genuine, it's not "class' by any means.

Quite

He shows his class by riding through a torrent of abuse and wee-wee and spit without lashing out or even having a harsh word.

Read back. My comment about class was in response to "I think Froome thinks it’s better to be part of the club than the bad loser. Still takes some class.", nothing to do with his response or lack of it to the roadside abuse.

By the way, I think anyone who's getting roadside abuse would know not to respond as it will only make it worse. So good common sense by Froome on that account, not class.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mfin wrote:

Read back. My comment about class was in response to "I think Froome thinks it’s better to be part of the club than the bad loser. Still takes some class.", nothing to do with his response or lack of it to the roadside abuse.

By the way, I think anyone who's getting roadside abuse would know not to respond as it will only make it worse. So good common sense by Froome on that account, not class.

So are you saying he has no class? Or there is no evidence of class? I'm confused.

In 85 and 86, was Hinault sans class?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    6wheels wrote:
    Many thanks to Blazing for all the effort.
    Spot on.
  • mfin
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

So are you saying he has no class? Or there is no evidence of class? I'm confused.

In 85 and 86, was Hinault sans class?

I'm saying class is a stupid term, it means nothing.

He did what anyone else would do regards Thomas, and as far as the abuse went he used common sense and didn't react.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    mfin wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    I think Froome thinks it’s better to be part of the club than the bad loser. Still takes some class.

That's not the reason, he had the salbutamol thing still to come out, it suited him to go for the Giro, and then the Giro Tour double, which he knew at some point was not going to happen. There's no class in it at all, it's just him being a nice bloke at most, nothing special.
    You are just our own special little ray of sunshine, aren't you?
    Well, it's true, there's no class about it, or any other romanticising term. The guy knew when it wasn't his and was happy riding knowing one of his best riding mates is going to win it instead, anyone would do and feel the same. It's plain normal and genuine, it's not "class' by any means.
    I actually meant it as a reference to your habit of mostly commenting to moan about things and generally being as downbeat as possible.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mfin wrote:

He did what anyone else would do regards Thomas, and as far as the abuse went he used common sense.

So you think all the people inside the sport who are saying what Froome did was noteworthy should be discounted as irrelevant?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin
    adr82 wrote:
    I actually meant it as a reference to your habit of mostly commenting to moan about things and generally being as downbeat as possible.

:) I'm not downbeat, so many other people may be unrealistically easily excited and over the top, it might look downbeat in comparison but it's not. Remember, it's just a bunch of blokes in spandex pedalling bikes around, that's all.
  • mfin
    edited July 2018
    iainf72 wrote:
    So you think all the people inside the sport who are saying what Froome did was noteworthy should be discounted as irrelevant?

Pretty much, they are all paid to constantly splurge out words and as such most of them get all flouncy about it.

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Froome suffering all that abuse, if I was him though I'd do the same and not respond. Why would anyone respond, it would do know good and he knows perfectly well he would change nobody's mind and that there are stacks of other people out there to support him. He did what any remotely intelligent person would do.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I thought Froome looked unusually relaxed over the last few days - in some ways almost like Froome had surprised himself to discover that he enjoyed playing second fiddle, but also as if it was a relief that he wasn't having to face all the pressure for a change. I've no doubt he'll be focused on leading the tour next year though.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    I thought Froome looked unusually relaxed over the last few days - in some ways almost like Froome had surprised himself to discover that he enjoyed playing second fiddle, but also as if it was a relief that he wasn't having to face all the pressure for a change. I've no doubt he'll be focused on leading the tour next year though.
    Since he lost it with the Gendarme? The therapeutic value of shouting a loud obscenity is often undervalued.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Class from Froome in my book.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    edited July 2018
    Pross wrote:
    Thanks for the stage threads Blazing
    This !
  • knedlicky
    What, no Welshcakes with the champagne?
    What are Welsh Cakes ? Slices of Bara Brith?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Since he lost it with the Gendarme? The therapeutic value of shouting a loud obscenity is often undervalued.

TBF picking an argument with an agent of the state is probably the start of his rehabilitation with the French...

#choosearandombrailsfordprejudice
  • knedlicky
    mfin wrote:
    Why do most commentators seem to say a hard "t' in the middle of Champ-Élysées?
    They've Champt off more than they can chew.
    :D Very good! And how true.
    Worthy of Post of the Tour 2018 Edition

I cringe at a lot of UK commentators' pronunciations of foreign names and words - well of languages I know. Football commentators are no better, maybe even worse - less caricature in their pronunciation, but more inaccuracy.
  • knedlicky
    Got to take you hat off to Froome for the way he has behaved over the past few days. Makes the attitude of some at the road side look even more pathetic now.
    I think how Froome has behaved and the attitude of some at the road side are two different kettle of fish.
    mfin wrote:
    There's no class in it at all, it's just him being a nice bloke at most, nothing special.
    and subsequent comments.

I'm with mfin about all this discussion about Froome and class, but in the end it really doesn't matter.
    Cool down!
  • knedlicky
    He was wrong with the gendarme, but otherwise I agree, unless Froome now realises his 'time' is over.
    If he doesn't think this, I'd say Thomas's best chance of repeating his win is with another team (but I doubt he'd ever change).
  • knedlicky
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Brilliantly rubbish speech from Geraint.
    Clearly no prep. Just winged it. :lol:
    Shame it was the wrong anthem :cry:
    Myfanwy?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    iainf72 wrote:
    mfin wrote:

He did what anyone else would do regards Thomas, and as far as the abuse went he used common sense.

I mean not one of the three 'leaders' in the Movistar team have actually won the Tour de France and they can't ride for each other...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I can't quite remember if it was boardman or Millar on the ITV podcast who said that that TT performance from Froome yesterday was a nice little poke in the chest of everyone, quietly saying, "hey, I'm still here boys and I'm still bloody fast."

I think that's quite a good point...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    knedlicky wrote:
    What, no Welshcakes with the champagne?
    What are Welsh Cakes ? Slices of Bara Brith?

Here you go. Made on a bakestone.

croppedimage733456-Welsh-Cakes.jpg

It has occurred to me that Cardiff's chances of hosting the Giro ( I reckon Matera next year, so 2020) might have become considerably improved....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    Well looking at Chris Froome's instagram story, Kwiatowski is w*nkered already...
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    Well looking at Chris Froome's instagram story, Kwiatowski is w*nkered already...

He's only little.

Anyway MY MAN! Get in.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366

I thought he has been looking extremely disappointed and was trying extremely hard to cover it up.I bet he would prefer to be wearing yellow and facing all the difficult questions rather than sitting at the back of press conferences.His off the cuff remarks about the crowd on Luke Rowes Facebook video also spoke a thousand words about his feelings on the spectators.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Thank you Blazing. great thread starters. Made the last 3 weeks very interesting
  • ddraver
    He has got to be crushed inside. He came seriously close to doing the double something unprecedented in the post (and pre..?) EPO era. It's not like he will get that chance again. That clip LL/G.Hincapie posted from LA saying how much it sucked to stand on the 3rd step after having won 7 was funny but also true.

Froome is likely a bit happier because in this example, the equivalent of Bertie to LA would have been George Hincapie himself...

Doing the double would have put the whole "greatest GT rider of his generation" to bed for ever, and he came a damn sight closer to doing it than Bertie (or, lol, Quintana)
    - @ddraver
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    ddraver wrote:
    Doing the double would have put the whole "greatest GT rider of his generation" to bed for ever, and he came a damn sight closer to doing it than Bertie (or, lol, Quintana)

Jesus Christ! He held all three grand tours at the same time and won four Tours. Nobody in the modern era has even come close to that. He is the greatest cyclist of his generation.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ddraver wrote:
    He has got to be crushed inside. He came seriously close to doing the double something unprecedented in the post (and pre..?) EPO era. It's not like he will get that chance again. That clip LL/G.Hincapie posted from LA saying how much it sucked to stand on the 3rd step after having won 7 was funny but also true.
    I'm sure he's happy to see Thomas winning it, but at the same time he wouldn't be human if he wasn't gutted too... missing out on the chance to win his record-equaling 5th Tour (with no guarantee he'll ever win another), the first Giro-Tour double in 20 years, and a "double double" (Tour+Vuelta, Giro+Tour) of 4 GT wins in a row.
  • ddraver
    ^^true (but Bertie's cow eyes man!)

^true
    - @ddraver