TDF 2019, Stage 21: Houilles > Paris Champs-Élysées 29/07/2018 - 116 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    mfin wrote:
    When was the last time a Colnago was ridden to a win on the Champs?

McEwen ‘99
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Froome looking genuinely pleased for Geraint there.
    Got to take you hat off to Froome for the way he has behaved over the past few days. Makes the attitude of some at the road side look even more pathetic now.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    type:epyt wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    When was the last time a Colnago was ridden to a win on the Champs?

McEwen ‘99

Fairdoos, trivia gets answered quickly on here!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Matt Rendell been listening to Rick? He called him Geraint there.

And then ruined it at the end.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Froome’s shown a serious amount of class on this tour.

Fantastic ride by Thomas. So pleased for him to finally get the big one.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mfin
    So the main question... is about Geraint's stubbly top lip crafted like that on purpose? It seems so.

He has invented the Stubbletache.

(Don't think it will catch on).
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think Froome thinks it’s better to be part of the club than the bad loser. Still takes some class.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    mfin wrote:
    So the main question... is about Geraint's stubbly top lip crafted like that on purpose? It seems so.

He has invented the Stubbletache.

(Don't think it will catch on).
    I think he just hasn't shaved in a while and has absolutely terrible beard growing skills
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Judging from the entrance music the jersey winners are all going to fight to the death no?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    inseine wrote:
    I think Froome thinks it’s better to be part of the club than the bad loser. Still takes some class.
    I think he's done himself some favours this last week. It might just be PR, but I get the impression him and Geraint are actually friendly (a bit different to the Wiggins Froome scenario).
  • mfin
    inseine wrote:

That's not the reason, he had the salbutamol thing still to come out, it suited him to go for the Giro, and then the Giro Tour double, which he knew at some point was not going to happen. There's no class in it at all, it's just him being a nice bloke at most, nothing special.
  • ddraver
    Someone gave him a flag...
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Not a boo for Geraint, now we wait...
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    edited July 2018
    (God that guy lifting Nibali back up now we know he had a broken back! :shock: )
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    I've only just noticed that this is next year's Champs-Élysées spoiler thread.* Back to back wins for Geraint. Awesome. :D

Thanks for starting the spoiler threads Blazing. They have been uniformly brilliant.

*A totally understandable typo in the circumstances.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • bobmcstuff
    They could have given Thomas a Welsh flag without someone's walking stick attached to it
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    mfin wrote:
    inseine wrote:

That's not the reason, he had the salbutamol thing still to come out, it suited him to go for the Giro, and then the Giro Tour double, which he knew at some point was not going to happen. There's no class in it at all, it's just him being a nice bloke at most, nothing special.
    You are just our own special little ray of sunshine, aren't you?
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2018
    Well, not quite as bad as when they played the Danish anthem for Bertie, but...
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    They could have given Thomas a Welsh flag without someone's walking stick attached to it

and it's a bit mucky...
  • bobmcstuff
    Just pointing out Dumoulin finished the Giro Tour double with the same average position as Froome got in the double ;)
  • ddraver
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Just pointing out Dumoulin finished the Giro Tour double with the same average position as Froome got in the double ;)

My maths teacher would've used that a caution about the misuse of averages....
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    I think I saw that bowl in TK Maxx.
  • DeadCalm
    Brilliantly rubbish speech from Geraint.
    Team My Man 2022:

• mfin
    edited July 2018
    adr82 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Well, it's true, there's no class about it, or any other romanticising term. The guy knew when it wasn't his and was happy riding knowing one of his best riding mates is going to win it instead, anyone would do and feel the same. It's plain normal and genuine, it's not "class' by any means.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    adr82 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Be fair Froome has acted like 99% of people would do.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    He's right, he aint much at speeches

latest?cb=20170101190543
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    If anyone sees a link of the final ITV4 montage can you link it, the ES one is never as good...
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    mfin wrote:

Well, it's true, there's no class about it, or any other romanticising term. The guy knew when it wasn't his and was happy riding knowing one of his best riding mates is going to win it instead, anyone would do and feel the same. It's plain normal and genuine, it's not "class' by any means.

Quite

He shows his class by riding through a torrent of abuse and piss and spit without lashing out or even having a harsh word.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin

Exactly. People just want everything to sound deeper or out of the ordinary.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

But not that many elite athletes.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Brilliantly rubbish speech from Geraint.

Clearly no prep. Just winged it. :lol:

Shame it was the wrong anthem :cry: