Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle > Espelette 28/07/2018 - 31 km - Individual time-trial *Spoilers*

Comments

• andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    ddraver wrote:
    andytee87 wrote:
    stuff

The flip side of that is what Patrick Lefevre says which is that grabbing a stage win in the first week takes the pressure off the team and so makes everything a bit easier.

Mind you this is man talking about Cav, Kittel & Gaviria...not exactly 2nd string sprinters

Agree 100% with him/you based on his roster and when you have Jungels who had an outside chance @ Top 10. Gaviria winning probably helped Alaphillipe get over not winning Mur-de-Bretagne, but that's if you bring a team with 4 possible winners for different stages (Gaviria, Alaphillippe, Gilbert, Terpstra).

Sponsor pressure to have the likes of Kittel, Cav there must be huge but when they are struggling so badly does it make sense? DiData are a bit different to Katusha as they never had GC ambitions just Cav/EBH/Pauwels depending on stage- kind of like a zero alcohol Quick-Step (sure they'll be fine with Maes next year! :wink: )
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Pross wrote:
    Ned is struggling.

Been a long for 3 weeks for him too.

I like Ned as a cycling presenter / journo type person but have to say he’s a bit of a Carlton Lite when commentating. Not sure he’s the right person.

I totally agree with this, Ned's in the wrong job... really like Millar though.

Think I preferred Phil and Paul to Ned.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    joe2008 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ned is struggling.

I like Ned as a cycling presenter / journo type person but have to say he’s a bit of a Carlton Lite when commentating. Not sure he’s the right person.

Think I preferred Phil and Paul
    to Ned.

Woah woah woah, we've all had a drink mate! :shock:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Here's a way to sort out this G thing, based on fact... if you refer to him as G on here, typed, that's sort of okay but not really, don't be so lazy and type his name each time you have more than a half a second to spend on it. Now, if you refer to him as G in conversation and you aren't a mate of his, you are a complete and utter prick.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    ddraver wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ned is struggling.

Think I preferred Phil and Paul
    to Ned.

Woah woah woah, we've all had a drink mate! :shock:[/quote
    I’ve had plenty to drink and yep, Ned could shut up for a bit, he’s been pretty good.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    mfin wrote:
    Here's a way to sort out this G thing, based on fact... if you refer to him as G on here, typed, that's sort of okay but not really, don't be so lazy and type his name each time you have more than a half a second to spend on it. Now, if you refer to him as G in conversation and you aren't a mate of his, you are a complete and utter prick.
    Thanks for the clarification mf.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    ^Ha!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    joe2008 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ned is struggling.

Think I preferred Phil and Paul to Ned.

Definitely. Ned Boulting is totally out of his depth and his over-emphasis of French place and people names is cringe-worthy. Millar comes out with some choice crap at times as well. Especially all the nonsense about Valverde going up the road to "help" Quintana. Do you think he actually believes that?
  • ddraver
    Penny for Chris Froome's honest thoughts right now...

(A cent for TommyD's too...If they'd had a TT early in the race, Tommy puts 30 secs into G because G is riding in support of Froome...)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    ddraver wrote:

(A cent for TommyD's too...If they'd had a TT early in the race, Tommy puts 30 secs into G because G is riding in support of Froome...)

I suspect Froome knows he didn’t have the form and is probably ultimately happy that his mate was able to keep the title within the team. I reckon he was probably pushing to retain it until Wednesday then knew it was over.

Dumoulin is a tricky one. No doubt he’ll be happy knowing he has beaten Froome but frustrated that he still missed the top step but again, if he’s being honest, will accept it as a fair reflection. Probably wishing he’d missed the Giro though.
  • ddraver
    ^Good Call
    - @ddraver
  • mfin wrote:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13094173&p=20391146#p20391146
    mfin wrote:
    Stage win for G?
    Literally yesterday :)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    mfin wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification mf.
    Ain't nuthin but a G thang baby
  • FocusZing
    Hey, leave MFP alone!
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Stage win for G?

Yep, only had half a second to spend on it, the vast majority of times I type Geraint or Thomas.

On another note, tomorrow I bet London will be packed with Ride London sportifisters having endlessly repeated monotonous conversations about him, and a lot of C's will be saying G there.
  • FocusZing
    mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Stage win for G?

Yep, only had half a second to spend on it, the vast majority of times I type Geraint or Thomas.

On another note, tomorrow I bet London will be packed with Ride London sportifisters having endlessly repeated monotonous conversations about him, and a lot of C's will be saying G there.

You will happy to know Cavs riding MFP.
  • mfin
    Gotta love Cav
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    mfin wrote:
    Gotta love Cav[/quote
    C’s and G’s. My bad, and no offence meant.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    curium wrote:
    G the first Tour winner born in the British Isles!

Roche

he is Irish.

It all comes down to whether you think is Ireland part of the British Isles

It is part of the British Isles. That is a fact!!

Er.......wars have been fought over that. The north might be but the certainly south isn’t !

I think you are confusing political and physical geography.

As a political geographer I'd just like to point out that physical geography is also political geography. There are some islands that exist in what we generally call north west Europe, who decided to name them the British Isles is entirely political, who can actually say they are positioned in north west Europe is also entirely political. Anyway as you were...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I suspect Froome knows he didn’t have the form and is probably ultimately happy that his mate was able to keep the title within the team. I reckon he was probably pushing to retain it until Wednesday then knew it was over.

Dumoulin is a tricky one. No doubt he’ll be happy knowing he has beaten Froome but frustrated that he still missed the top step but again, if he’s being honest, will accept it as a fair reflection. Probably wishing he’d missed the Giro though.

Dumoulin doesn't strike me as a rider that just says the diplomatic stuff in interviews, seems to be very straightforward and honest.
    And he seemed pretty happy with it, said even if he'd not crashed he'd still have been beaten, G(eraint) was strongest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    :wink: Can we have it that G is the first winner from the West of England :wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    curium wrote:

Roche

he is Irish.

Er.......wars have been fought over that. The north might be but the certainly south isn’t !

As a political geographer I'd just like to point out that physical geography is also political geography. There are some islands that exist in what we generally call north west Europe, who decided to name them the British Isles is entirely political, who can actually say they are positioned in north west Europe is also entirely political. Anyway as you were...

As a geographically political physician*, what's really important is which bits of the islands have insulin stockpiled.

*Not really.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    On the G thing - I’d hazard a guess that Ned etc have met Mr Thomas more times than the rest of us put together and probably have had the conversation “Is it Geraint or G?” to which the answer is likely to have been “Call me G” otherwise Mr Thomas would have likely got a bit irritated.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    On the G thing. I understand that started out as a nickname for him by his mates (Cav I believe) which is ok if it is used exclusively with your mates. However, I think he called his book "The world of cycling according to G" Therefore I would say if you are prepared to sell your book to the public by referencing yourself as G you have to accpet they may refer to you as G. It's hypocritical to have it both ways.
    For the record I wouldn't consciously do it, I think it's a tad lame sounding. Super ride by him though.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    curium wrote:

Roche

he is Irish.

As a geographically political physician*, what's really important is which bits of the islands have insulin stockpiled.

*Not really.

You joke but that is pretty serious stuff in the coming months.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    johnboy183 wrote:
    :wink: Can we have it that G is the first winner from the West of England :wink:

Why I oughta...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Tell me about it. Used to follow you on Twitter 'cause it was interesting source of things I didn't see elsewhere. Now it's because I like reading horror stories set in a dystopian future...
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Tell me about it. Used to follow you on Twitter 'cause it was interesting source of things I didn't see elsewhere. Now it's because I like reading horror stories set in a dystopian future...

We're living in the novel William Gibson stopped writing because it was too pessimistic.
  • FocusZing
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Can’t believe that there is such a debate about whether G is acceptable when we all know that it’s T.