Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle > Espelette 28/07/2018 - 31 km - Individual time-trial *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    are the right 3 guys on the podium?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    When I ve got this thing out of my eye I'll stop calling him G ok?

(You ve never mentioned me using Tommy!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Shame about Roglic. Maybe he would have done better with a motorbike in front of him?

Why does Ned Boulting keep going on about Sky being booed? If he kept his stupid mouth shut no-one would give it any credence.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Who else should be up there instead?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    hypster wrote:
    Why does Ned Boulting keep going on about Sky being booed? If he kept his stupid mouth shut no-one would give it any credence.

In fairness to Ned, he has been quietly banning the Chris Froome is a good dude drum since 2013. I think he thinks it's more unfair than most...
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    hypster wrote:

Surely it is his job to commentate on all aspects of the race. Booing has (sadly) been a notable part of this edition, so I think it would be rather bizarre if he never mentioned it
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    DjNDfT1XgAAuJEU.jpg
    DjNATRpW4AAfY5m.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    hypster wrote:

In fairness to Ned, he has been quietly banning the Chris Froome is a good dude drum since 2013. I think he thinks it's more unfair than most...

There's a Chris Froome drum that's been quietly banned? What for? Was the drum doping? And I just KNEW there was a cover-up afoot!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    r0bh wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Surely it is his job to commentate on all aspects of the race. Booing has (sadly) been a notable part of this edition, so I think it would be rather bizarre if he never mentioned it

I don't see why. I heard him comment on it at least four times today, three times for Froome and once for Thomas. So they boo, we can hear it, no need to give it any more attention. His commentary is just crap anyway and he just spouts a lot of tosh.
  • above_the_cows
    hypster wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    hypster wrote:

I don't see why. I heard him comment on it at least four times today, three times for Froome and once for Thomas. So they boo, we can hear it, no need to give it any more attention. His commentary is just crap anyway and he just spouts a lot of tosh.

Other providers of pro-cycling coverage are available.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    hypster wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Not to me. At least, not in the English language.
  • above_the_cows
    Lucan2 wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    hypster wrote:

You can't get Eurosport player in the UK? I'm assuming you're in the UK if you're able to get ITV4.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644

Ja.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Lucan2 wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    Why does Ned Boulting keep going on about Sky being booed? If he kept his stupid mouth shut no-one would give it any

You can't get Eurosport player in the UK? I'm assuming you're in the UK if you're able to get ITV4.

I watch ITV4 from France. No Eurosport UK here (other than slightly devious ways). Anyway i like the Ned and dave show.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Sir Geraint of Thomas, arise!
    People say “G” cos “G”is straightforward. After all, he has been called “herrint” Thomas before. By those on telly.
    Hard “G” and the emphasis on the first syllable. I am an Englishman who live for years in north Wales. And Welsh is a consistently difficult language. But great fun to tackle. And easier than Dutch.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Ja.

I think it is a shame Nibali wasn't there at the end to compete, he was looking very good and was taken out of the race.

But of the remainder, yeah it seems fair enough.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549

Ja.

Not in my opinion.......last nights leaderboard was my preferred finishing lineup.

Fabulous win for Thomas, so pleased for him. About time he gets the recognition he deserves.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Just caught up on the coverage, nice to see Dumoulin so happy with the win, also to see Thomas' emotion as he crossed the line. Assuming that's how it ends it's been an ok race but it fizzled out a bit towards the end, not that the winner will care.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bundleboy
    bundleboy Posts: 87
    he was way faster... damm ptp fix!
    Cheque’s in the post :-)
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    curium wrote:
    G the first Tour winner born in the British Isles!

Roche

he is Irish.

It all comes down to whether you think is Ireland part of the British Isles

It is part of the British Isles. That is a fact!!

Er.......wars have been fought over that. The north might be but the certainly south isn’t !
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    r0bh wrote:
    Sky with a 2,3,4. That's strength.

how on earth can you fight that?

take any just about any team leader from this years tour and they would win with that team.

Well you could assemble a team focused on winning, unlike say Movistar who are consistently less than the sum of their parts with multiple agendas going on

I don't even think it's the tactics they get wrong, they just seem unable to get their riders to and through a grand tour in peak physical condition.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    Would the podium look different had Porte not crashed out?
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    Just realised Dan Martin finished 8th on GC. UAE must be super happy with their Tour!
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    G Hincapie wrote:
    Would the podium look different had Porte not crashed out?

Depends if he had been descending in front of one of the top three yesterday.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Shipley wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    curium wrote:

Roche

he is Irish.

Er.......wars have been fought over that. The north might be but the certainly south isn’t !

Christ on a bike. The British Isles are a load of islands of the coast of Europe. Ireland is one of them.

You are getting Great Britain and the British isles mixed up. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country which is (excluding crown dependencies and military bases etc.) a part of the British Isles but not all of it.

"The British Isles are a group of islands off the north-western coast of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man and over six thousand smaller isles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Shipley wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    curium wrote:

Roche

he is Irish.

I think you are confusing political and physical geography.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    edited July 2018
    r0bh wrote:
    Sky with a 2,3,4. That's strength.

how on earth can you fight that?

take any just about any team leader from this years tour and they would win with that team.

Well you could assemble a team focused on winning, unlike say Movistar who are consistently less than the sum of their parts with multiple agendas going on

I don't even think it's the tactics they get wrong, they just seem unable to get their riders to and through a grand tour in peak physical condition.

Personally, I don't understand half of the GC teams team selections. If you have someone you consider a true podium placement, don't brink a sprinter on the off chance they can steal something. I know you run the risk of coming away with nothing, but most of them came away with nothing! You can't complain that the lead group has 5 Sky riders, & only 2 from each other teams when Sky are either climbers or ardennes riders and the rest of the team are in the gruppetto

Bahrain Merida: Colbrelli
    Sunweb: Arndt, Matthews (tough call, last years Green Jersey & got ill)
    UAE: Kristoff & Ferrari
    Katusha: Kittel, Zabel

Trek, BMC, Astana got it right by bringing classics riders who can sprint. Lotto-Jumbo gave Groenewegen enough support but did minimum work pulling on flat days & had 4 strong climbers.

Other teams went rouleur heavy worrying about the TTT & cobbles, then they got dropped @ the same time as Rowe finished working. AG2R were unlucky with the riders they lost in crashes but got the balance right, Movistar got the right balance (Irviti/Bennati/Rojas vs Castroviejo/Rowe/Moscon, Amador/Soler vs Poels/Kwiato) but their top 3 either are not willing to sacrifice themselves or just weren't in shape too.

I know Sky sign that type of rider, but winning GC takes a complete team focus & a willingness to not get anything else from the race (I know they got the two MTF wins in the Alps, but they'd have been as happy for that to go to the breakaway and have a seperate GC race)
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 414
    Double post
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Pross wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    curium wrote:

Roche

he is Irish.

I think you are confusing political and physical geography.

Exactly Thomas lives in Monaco.
  • ddraver
    andytee87 wrote:
    stuff

The flip side of that is what Patrick Lefevre says which is that grabbing a stage win in the first week takes the pressure off the team and so makes everything a bit easier.

Mind you this is man talking about Cav, Kittel & Gaviria...not exactly 2nd string sprinters
    - @ddraver