TDF 2018 - Rest Day 2 - ****SPOILERS****

1235»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Would be curious to see if that tactic worked however.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    RichN95 wrote:
    Riders may have been pepper sprayed, rinsing eyes. Peloton stopped.
    Wrong thread

Cheers. Just like the riders who have an off day after the rest day, some posters also have difficulties getting back into it...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Also they say that Sky win by having the most money, and they do, but not many of this team would have been on huge money when they first signed. The money has been used to keep them once they got good.

Froome - From Barloworld
    Thomas - From Barloworld
    Rowe - neo Pro
    Moscon - neo Pro (admittedly highly rated)
    Bernal - signed aged 20 (again highly rated)
    Kwiatokowski - big money signing, dismissed as a vanity signing
    Poels - Quick Step reject
    Castroviejo - respected TTer from Movistar, but not a superstar.

What's stopping guys like Poels going to other teams?

I'm not sure I've got this right, but hasn't Poels said previously he doesn't want the pressure of being leader in a GT? But if he's happy being a domestique, he'll want to be a well-paid one.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    TGOTB wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dutch are rude.
    You constantly bring this one up yourself. It's a stereotype I get almost entirely from you saying it. (I've never found them rude myself)
    I'm about to spend a week in Dutchland. On previous trips I've noticed that a lot of them seem to be very tall. They also appear to eat huge quantities of mayonnaise, have very expensive petrol, and seem to be unaware of the existence of green vegetables. Never encountered any rudeness though, quite the opposite...
    I've always found the Dutch to be quite blunt and plain speaking, but not rude exactly. It might come across as rude to English sensibilities perhaps, but I don't think that's really correct.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I rented an apartment in La Rosiere last Summer. It was clearly privately owned and well appointed, and we were amusing ourselves by trying to guess what sort of people the owners were. It didn't feel quite as French as you might expect. The deep fat fryer on the balcony was particularly puzzling; who has a massive deep fat fryer next to their barbeque? It was only when we spotted the large Dutch section in the visitors' information folder that the penny dropped...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936
    Staying in a dutch run chalet atm, all very friendly and polite.

Wit regards to Froome riding arrogantly, what utter BS, beyond being a 4 time TdF winner and effectively the patron of the peloton at present. All patrons have ridden this way.
  • rick_chasey
    Who knew Jose's view wouldn't be popular on here.
  • So have been mainly watching the Belgian & Dutch coverage of this after hours and the difference to the rhetoric on the U.K. coverage (and I’ll include the cycling podcast in this) is quite big.

Around the sporza table you had Jose de Cauwer (who’s opinion I rate) call Froome an arrogant rider - in terms of how he rides in a bunch - and everyone around the table nodded sagely.

There’s a level of bemusement around the idea that guys like Brailsford are, in their eyes, expecting to be reveared for having a team of 6-7 superstars that regularlty strangles the race. Not that they ought not to do it, but that they can’t see it makes them unpopular as it’s dull.

There’s also a much more palpable sense that in being so hyper professional - even if they also feel most of it is PR and most of the sky induced innovation mainly comes about because they have the cash - something is lost. You can see it in Lefevre’s comments too: “sky is a factory, we are a family".

So we can add the Dutch and Belgians to the French on the list of bad losers and hypocrites. Funny how these countries have slipped back now that drugs have been removed from the peleton. No coincidence there at all!

Why aren't the Belgians saying the same thing when their 'national' team of classic superstars are dominating the classics. Or when they are dominating cyclo-cross :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    Ga maar wegwezen en kom terug als je weet wat worden eigenlijk beteken.
  • Ga maar wegwezen en kom terug als je weet wat worden eigenlijk beteken.

You were included in the list of losers.

I bet you are still sulking from the dutchie losing the Giro because of his tactical errors.

The best one day win by a Brit was when Stannard mugged the 3 Quick-Step riders.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    :lol:

alrite mate.

I imagine Jose's got a better view of it than you but go for it.

You just like him because he assembled a team for the TdF so terrible, only one of them finished.

Ok, he may have been the winner, but still.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,235
    I think the full conversation was that not only does Froome ride around in the bunch arrogantly, but also that Bernal wears ladies shoes, Kwiatkowski smells of damp bedsits, Rowe is scared of mauve and Thomas is a big pooh.
    They didn’t get to the others before a hurriedly enforced ad break - but someone did manage to shout that Poels “isn’t a real Dutchman and should be shot” before they cut.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

alrite mate.

I imagine Jose's got a better view of it than you but go for it.

You just like him because he assembled a team for the TdF so terrible, only one of them finished.

Ok, he may have been the winner, but still.

Honestly that guy has a crystal ball in commentary.

Uncanny.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    RichN95 wrote:
    Around the sporza table you had Jose de Cauwer (who’s opinion I rate) call Froome an arrogant rider - in terms of how he rides in a bunch - and everyone around the table nodded sagely.
    What does that even mean? Doesn't he ride near the front most of the time?

Yeah. Apparently he shoos a lot of riders away and expect riders to get out of the way in order to get to the front.

It came up in the context of de Cauwer suggesting that if he were Sunweb he'd have a lot of domestiques ride up close to Froome as it really unsettles him.

It was an 'arrogance' that Froome thinks he should be able to ride up near the front without rivals around him. That was an example of his arrogance. Lots of nodding.

I figured you'd get defensive about that. Take it up with Jose.

He is the only guy riding the race who has actually stood on the top step in Paris no?

Arguably he's earned a little bit of space to himself!

I think if I was a ds of, say Sunweb, I'd have got Demoulin to skip the giro, and if I was ds of Movistar, I'd wonder why my star rider seems to have stopped turning up for the tour!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    Guys seriously, this defensiveness isn’t a good look.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Yellow looks pretty good.
  • rick_chasey

Soz, won’t mention criticism of ya boi
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Thankyou Rick, you see I went to Monaco once on holiday, so I have an affinity with the teams GCs.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    TGOTB wrote:
    I rented an apartment in La Rosiere last Summer. It was clearly privately owned and well appointed, and we were amusing ourselves by trying to guess what sort of people the owners were. It didn't feel quite as French as you might expect. The deep fat fryer on the balcony was particularly puzzling; who has a massive deep fat fryer next to their barbeque? It was only when we spotted the large Dutch section in the visitors' information folder that the penny dropped...

You have to have somewhere to fry your bitterballen. This seems like an excellent place to stay.

I flew over La Rosiere yesterday. Yes I am that much of a geography geek that I look out the window and spot climbs and routes from cycling races.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Maybe some confirmation bias there?

There's no money to be made by saying Froome is a nice guy and good bike handler.
  • tgotb
    I flew over La Rosiere yesterday. Yes I am that much of a geography geek that I look out the window and spot climbs and routes from cycling races.
    I've never understood how anyone could fly over the Alps in good visibility and not be glued to the window. Cycling routes, ski tours, it's all down there...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943

There's no money to be made by saying Froome is a nice guy and good bike handler.

Depends on the target market.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

I don’t think Jose thinks much about the target audience tbh.

It’s not a commercial channel and the context was not some rash judgment but more a quiet statement of fact in passing that everyone else brosdlg agreed with.

The environment of convivially sitting around a table in a vineyard as the sun sets spending an hour just chatting about cycling is a lot less hyper than interviews in the Tour village or digesting things immediately after the stage.

He’s a pretty level balanced guy.

3e216ed1-8ec5-11e8-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg
  • tgotb
    Just thinking about the Yates brothers, and what a wasted opportunity they had to ride for the same team, but pretend they were the same rider. Amazing recoveries, able to attack after a hard day etc; I'm sure everyone else has had the same thought. But then I wondered: maybe someone's already doing it? Who's sharing their ride with a secret twin?
    I reckon Kwiatkowski has a secret twin brother who's not quite as good...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    RichN95 wrote:
    What does that even mean? Doesn't he ride near the front most of the time?

Yeah. Apparently he shoos a lot of riders away and expect riders to get out of the way in order to get to the front.

It came up in the context of de Cauwer suggesting that if he were Sunweb he'd have a lot of domestiques ride up close to Froome as it really unsettles him.

It was an 'arrogance' that Froome thinks he should be able to ride up near the front without rivals around him. That was an example of his arrogance. Lots of nodding.

I figured you'd get defensive about that. Take it up with Jose.

He shoos them away - what are they - Pigeons ?
    All GC riders should be riding up front. Hasn't Frum got Dumoulin glued to his wheel - so his rivals are around him. On his wheel. It's always been the same. I think de Cauwer is making things up.
  • rick_chasey
    Come on mate, don't diss my translation.

Not cool.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,195

Is this any different from other multiple GT winners throughout history? Hinault and Merckx for example?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819

I don’t think Jose thinks much about the target audience tbh.

It’s not a commercial channel and the context was not some rash judgment but more a quiet statement of fact in passing that everyone else brosdlg agreed with.

The environment of convivially sitting around a table in a vineyard as the sun sets spending an hour just chatting about cycling is a lot less hyper than interviews in the Tour village or digesting things immediately after the stage.

He’s a pretty level balanced guy.

3e216ed1-8ec5-11e8-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

That's pretty much the reason why I watch it each day. In fact, I'm watching last nights, now.
    FWIW, I didn't have an issue with it................mainly because I didn't understand half he was saying! :lol:

Both Vive and Avonde (understandably) are very Dumoulin-centric atm.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Yes both Michel and Jose feel Dumolin and Sagan are the best side of cycling and so are very keen for Tom to win the Tour.

Which, coming from a Flandrian...!