TDF 2018 - Rest Day 2 - ****SPOILERS****

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    You don't appreciate them until they re gone....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Lolol rest days for spoilers get more interesting Nyerere than women’s cycling
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    So have been mainly watching the Belgian & Dutch coverage of this after hours and the difference to the rhetoric on the U.K. coverage (and I’ll include the cycling podcast in this) is quite big.

Around the sporza table you had Jose de Cauwer (who’s opinion I rate) call Froome an arrogant rider - in terms of how he rides in a bunch - and everyone around the table nodded sagely.

There’s a level of bemusement around the idea that guys like Brailsford are, in their eyes, expecting to be reveared for having a team of 6-7 superstars that regularlty strangles the race. Not that they ought not to do it, but that they can’t see it makes them unpopular as it’s dull.

There’s also a much more palpable sense that in being so hyper professional - even if they also feel most of it is PR and most of the sky induced innovation mainly comes about because they have the cash - something is lost. You can see it in Lefevre’s comments too: “sky is a factory, we are a family”.

They’re also more animated about how bad it is that the fans are throwing things at riders and in some cases trying to hit them. Much stronger language, much stronger criticism of the French rozzers.

There’s also much more discussion over the parcours generally and whether it’s a good one or not. Consensus is the first week was a stinker.

Anyway, thought that was interesting.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Interesting how things are seen abroad. I was reading in the Guardian (I think) that this Tour has had the lowest French TV ratings for some years which it attributes in part to the unpopularity of Sky and Froome.

As for the route, I actually think it's a pretty good one and I'd rate this edition as a little bit above average so far but it does seem to be dividing opinion even on here.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Interesting how things are seen abroad. I was reading in the Guardian (I think) that this Tour has had the lowest French TV ratings for some years which it attributes in part to the unpopularity of Sky and Froome.

As for the route, I actually think it's a pretty good one and I'd rate this edition as a little bit above average so far but it does seem to be dividing opinion even on here.

Though everyone is saying that the Alpe saw maybe only half the usual crowds.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    inseine wrote:

Half the usual wits, maybe.

(If true though, does some of that blame lie at the feet of the idiots? I'm not sure I'd want to try and watch a race where people pressing in mean you can't see the riders, and where there's a persistent undertone of alcohol, piss-throwing, and violence).
  • ddraver
    The ITV boys - who I suspect know a little about ratings - scoffed at the idea that it was the unpopularity of Froome causing a drop. Apparently every TV channel knew that there would be a drop this year becasue of the World Cup...probably becasue there was one 4 years ago too, and 2 years ago for the Euros...

I think the forum broadly agrees with the Avondetappe don't we? The regular "Why are Sky so Good" threads we always get around this time of year have always come down to Money. It has nt been quite so obvious this year as they ve been less successful but when you this years OHN winner pulling this years MSR winner, pulling this years LBL winner pulling the winner of this years Paris Nice pulling the 4 time Tour Champion it was hard to not notice...

As discussed anyone who wons regularly get's booed on the roadside. Italians and Spanish are more likley to forgive an impressive performance than the French who, not so bothered about booing may think it ok to escalate. Disparage Braislford all you like but before you do so go and watch a youtube clip of a 5 Nations match in the Stade de France...
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    So, has Thomas's message changed from 'it's all about Froome' to 'as long as one of us is on the top step in Paris'? Along with Froome saying that there's no tension between them it sounds a lot more that either Thomas collapses or gets to win this thing.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    inseine wrote:
    So, has Thomas's message changed from 'it's all about Froome' to 'as long as one of us is on the top step in Paris'? Along with Froome saying that there's no tension between them it sounds a lot more that either Thomas collapses or gets to win this thing.
    Yeah, that's exactly how it sounded to me in the interview I heard. GT's for the taking if he can hold on. Be interesting to see if that stays the same on the road.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    ddraver wrote:

As discussed anyone who wons regularly get's booed on the roadside. Italians and Spanish are more likley to forgive an impressive performance than the French who, not so bothered about booing may think it ok to escalate. Disparage Braislford all you like but before you do so go and watch a youtube clip of a 5 Nations match in the Stade de France...

I've never seen this scale of hostility, things being thrown at Sky riders etc. Even Armstrong who was arguably more dominant, certainly more arrogant in his public persona and had more evidence of doping against him didn't attract quite this level of abuse by the roadside.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    Social meedja innit...
    - @ddraver
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    ddraver wrote:
    Social meedja innit...
    That, and a tangible change of climate post-Armstrong. The reason Armstrong didn't get quite the same level of abuse is that he wasn't riding in the post-Armstrong era, if you see what I mean...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Around the sporza table you had Jose de Cauwer (who’s opinion I rate) call Froome an arrogant rider - in terms of how he rides in a bunch - and everyone around the table nodded sagely.
    What does that even mean? Doesn't he ride near the front most of the time?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's not like he's ridden with the guy. Weird thing to say. "Stop riding arrogantly ! Who do you think you are in a yellow jersey- Bernard Hinault ?"
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    inseine wrote:

Wasn't the Alpe on a weekend the last time they rode it though ? Huuuuge crowds of a weekend. Less so in the week.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    joe2008 wrote:
    Can anybody explain why Quintana bothers to turn up? I may have said this before, but he seems utterly useless.

6 GT podiums, including two wins, I reckon most would bother turning up for that.

Bit never a single day in yellow
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2018
    Also they say that Sky win by having the most money, and they do, but not many of this team would have been on huge money when they first signed. The money has been used to keep them once they got good.

Froome - From Barloworld
    Thomas - From Barloworld
    Rowe - neo Pro
    Moscon - neo Pro (admittedly highly rated)
    Bernal - signed aged 20 (again highly rated)
    Kwiatokowski - big money signing, dismissed as a vanity signing
    Poels - Quick Step reject
    Castroviejo - respected TTer from Movistar, but not a superstar.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2018
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah. Apparently he shoos a lot of riders away and expect riders to get out of the way in order to get to the front.

It came up in the context of de Cauwer suggesting that if he were Sunweb he'd have a lot of domestiques ride up close to Froome as it really unsettles him.

It was an 'arrogance' that Froome thinks he should be able to ride up near the front without rivals around him. That was an example of his arrogance. Lots of nodding.

I figured you'd get defensive about that. Take it up with Jose.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Also they say that Sky win by having the most money, and they do, but not many of this team would have been on huge money when they first signed. The money has been used to keep them once they got good.

Froome - From Barloworld
    Thomas - From Barloworld
    Rowe - neo Pro

What's stopping guys like Poels going to other teams?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah. Apparently he shoos a lot of riders away and expect riders to get out of the way in order to get to the front.

It came up in the context of de Cauwer suggesting that if he were Sunweb he'd have a lot of domestiques ride up close to Froome as it really unsettles him.

It was an 'arrogance' that Froome thinks he should be able to ride up near the front without rivals around him.

I figured you'd get defensive about that. Take it up with Jose.
    I'm not getting defensive about it. I would suggest his gesturing is actually his stereotypical British manners as opposed to the rudeness that the Dutch and Flandriens hold so dear.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Froome - From Barloworld
    Thomas - From Barloworld
    Rowe - neo Pro

They don't win.
  • rick_chasey
    :lol:

alrite mate.

I imagine Jose's got a better view of it than you but go for it.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Froome - From Barloworld
    Thomas - From Barloworld
    Rowe - neo Pro

They don't win.

We'll disagree on that one.

I see it like this: f you're a domestique, I'd imagine your earnings are more valuable than your team 'winning', since you're not really doing any of it.

Don't make our Sky are the NE Pats; they have a bigger wage bill so they have bigger riders.

Riders like Kiwatkowski would blow the budget of a lot of teams; and then he's not even the biggest rider in this Tour team, let alone the squad.
  • rick_chasey
    And I do like how any challenge from outside of the UK results in a national stereotype slur.

French are losing whiners, Dutch are rude.

Keep it up.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,332
    Ooooh, the year's first farmer protest of the tour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Dutch are rude.
    You constantly bring this one up yourself. It's a stereotype I get almost entirely from you saying it. (I've never found them rude myself)
  • rick_chasey
    Haha ok
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,332
    Riders may have been pepper sprayed, rinsing eyes. Peloton stopped.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Riders may have been pepper sprayed, rinsing eyes. Peloton stopped.
    Wrong thread
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dutch are rude.
    You constantly bring this one up yourself. It's a stereotype I get almost entirely from you saying it. (I've never found them rude myself)
    I'm about to spend a week in Dutchland. On previous trips I've noticed that a lot of them seem to be very tall. They also appear to eat huge quantities of mayonnaise, have very expensive petrol, and seem to be unaware of the existence of green vegetables. Never encountered any rudeness though, quite the opposite...
    Pannier, 120rpm.