TDF 2018 - Rest Day 2 - ****SPOILERS****

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Can anybody explain why Quintana bothers to turn up? I may have said this before, but he seems utterly useless.

Normally goes for something in the last week, doesn't he? Tends to run out of road badly though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Bernal is 22nd on GC, Kwiatkowski 67th, Poels 69th. Maybe they try tomorrow to move up a group for the grid start on Wednesday? Certainly worth Bernal moving up two positions.
    Could be fun if everyone else has the same idea.

I'd like to see Bernal giving it a go though, if only to make the white jersey competition a bit more interesting.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646
    Until last year's tour the lowest Quintana had finished in the previous 7 GTs that he finished was 4th. (2 x 1st, 3 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd and 1x 4th).

In contrast the highest G Thomas has ever finished in a GT is 15th. Richie Porte has managed one 5th.

Who exactly should bother turning up?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Bernal is 22nd on GC, Kwiatkowski 67th, Poels 69th. Maybe they try tomorrow to move up a group for the grid start on Wednesday? Certainly worth Bernal moving up two positions.

I'd like to see Bernal giving it a go though, if only to make the white jersey competition a bit more interesting.

Most interesting in the white jersey comp has to be Guillaume Martin from Wanty. 2nd place now, 2'30"ish after Latour, but nearly 20 mins back on GC so might be allowed in a break, and is team leader so can ride his own race. Latour might have to sacrifice his white jersey for ardet's ambitions.

Would be interesting to see what happens if he tries for the break tomorrow - would AG2R with only 5 riders try and chase him down?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    I'm not sure how they have managed it, but the design of the white jersey is quite nasty. Or is that once AG2R have got hold of it?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

Most interesting in the white jersey comp has to be Guillaume Martin from Wanty. 2nd place now, 2'30"ish after Latour, but nearly 20 mins back on GC so might be allowed in a break, and is team leader so can ride his own race. Latour might have to sacrifice his white jersey for ardet's ambitions.

Would be interesting to see what happens if he tries for the break tomorrow - would AG2R with only 5 riders try and chase him down?
    Indeed, they've been matching each other give or take since everyone else fell away on stage 10. I think Latour would be given the chance to follow Martin into the break with the proviso that, if Bardet was on the attack, he'd have to drop back. If Bardet was in trouble, they'd be better off letting the remaining three help if they can but it would be daft to sacrifice a good shot at a jersey to try and resurrect a slim (at best) chance of a podium that was foundering even further.

I know nothing about Martin. Can he time trial?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    Can anybody explain why Quintana bothers to turn up? I may have said this before, but he seems utterly useless.

6 GT podiums, including two wins, I reckon most would bother turning up for that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Indeed, they've been matching each other give or take since everyone else fell away on stage 10. I think Latour would be given the chance to follow Martin into the break with the proviso that, if Bardet was on the attack, he'd have to drop back. If Bardet was in trouble, they'd be better off letting the remaining three help if they can but it would be daft to sacrifice a good shot at a jersey to try and resurrect a slim (at best) chance of a podium that was foundering even further.

He's French and he can climb. Take a wild guess... :wink:
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Haha, But he's on a Belgian team so I thought there might have been a chance.

Just looked him up on PCS. 55kg! No wonder he can't time trial.
    Team My Man 2022:

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

In summary, the sort of cyclist who has to tack when facing a stiff headwind.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

He's good for a win if those better than him don't turn up or fall-off.

He was good at animating things a bit in, was it 2013, when he went for that attack in the Pyrenees and also won the last MTF on Semnoz, other performances in the Tour, meh, there was that time he held onto the Mavic bike on Mt Ventoux while Froome tried his hand at triathlon. That was kind of exciting.

And then he does have a supporting role in the all time best cycling moment of all time ever in the world ever...

ku-xlarge.gif?w=1000
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

He's not short either. Well, not Pozzovivo short. 1.73m. I'd be worried he might snap in a stiff headwind.
    Team My Man 2022:

• above_the_cows
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

He's not short either. Well, not Pozzovivo short. 1.73m. I'd be worried he might snap in a stiff headwind.

It's more the cross winds you have to worry about when you're lightweight, that and the canals that run next to the dykes... :?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

It's more the cross winds you have to worry about when you're lightweight, that and the canals that run next to the dykes... :?
    I knew there was a good reason for not shifting these excess pounds. Ballast.
    Team My Man 2022:

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Are any of you ex-paty enough to have used a (non-hotel) laundry service? How much was it..?

Saves me arguing with the landlord...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Christ I'm basically the same height but 2 of him...

No wonder I can't climb...
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Nice to see SDB doing his diplomatic best to smooth things over:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jul/23/team-sky-abuse-tour-de-france-sir-dave-brailsford

I don't blame him for being exasperated, mind
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver wrote:
    Are any of you ex-paty enough to have used a (non-hotel) laundry service? How much was it..?

Central London I think was £4/£7 for a small/large washing machine and £1/10 mins of drying. I thought that was steep. I'm not sure that will help you much.

I have found the cost varies all over the world depending on a variety of factors. Canada used to be particularly cheap.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    We had no washing machine for about 6 months when we moved in... The one by my house is £3 for a massive washing machine and £.5 per 10 mins drying...

They did it as a service as well (i.e., you just dumped your stuff with them and they sorted it all inc ironing if needed) but I never bothered with that.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Canada used to be particularly cheap.
    Even once you've factored in the cost of shipping your laundry there and back?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DeadCalm
    TheBigBean wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Central London I think was £4/£7 for a small/large washing machine and £1/10 mins of drying. I thought that was steep. I'm not sure that will help you much.

I pay 30 baht (about 70 pence) a kg for washing, drying and folding. Fairly sure that is equally unhelpful.
    :D
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    TGOTB wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    :lol:
    Brilliant.
    I'm genuinely laughing out loud. And I'm a miserable sod usually.
    Team My Man 2022:

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    But what we really want to know on rest day 2 is, did the German riders claim the best sun loungers with their towels before everyone else this morning? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • TheBigBean
    DeadCalm wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Brilliant.

Ditto.

Worth noting that for the princely sum of 38 Baht you could get a whole machine in Canada - not just 1kg. I'd check out the flight costs.
  • DeadCalm
    TheBigBean wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Brilliant.

Ditto.

Worth noting that for the princely sum of 38 Baht you could get a whole machine in Canada - not just 1kg. I'd check out the flight costs.
    Good idea but I checked and the cost is prohibitive.

Ooh, but I've got Canadian friends. Maybe I could talk them into getting my laundry done when they visit home? They only go back a couple of times a year, but if the saving is that good...
    Team My Man 2022:

• above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

If you're renting an apartment with no washing machine make sure your rent does not include a charge for a washing machine. There are standard limits for square metres in NL and landlords top it up by charging for 'extras' like cooker, washer, fridge, freezer, sofa, other basic furniture (I kid you not). Speak to the gemeente. This is how landlords fleece non-Dutch renters.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Real riders wash their kit in the bathroom sink and dry it overnight on the back of a chair. I read it in that there Kimmage book.

In Denmark there's usually a communal washing room in each apartment block. I pay 15kr for a wash which in post-Brexit-referendum monopoly-sterling is about £2000 I think. It's about 2 Euros. Tumble dryer is 10kr a pop, which normally dries a full load OK.
  • DeadCalm
    Real riders wash their kit in the bathroom sink and dry it overnight on the back of a chair. I read it in that there Kimmage book.

In Denmark there's usually a communal washing room in each apartment block. I pay 15kr for a wash which in post-Brexit-referendum monopoly-sterling is about £2000 I think. It's about 2 Euros. Tumble dryer is 10kr a pop, which normally dries a full load OK.
    All the Danish riders I know (and we seem to have a lot of them here in CM) seem to have new kit for every day of the year.
    Team My Man 2022:

• ddraver
    I have just washed a bunch of kecks and cycling kit. Working in the lab so far does nt require smart clothes but soon...

The place next door to me quoted 6.50 for a single bloomin shirt. I guess it is worth wasting an hour to avoid that!

AtC. I will check. credit to him so far though he's been a star!
    - @ddraver
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Now this is setting the tone for the final week of the tour. Laundry.
    I remember being in Germany in my army days and the basement of family blocks was for communal use, including washing. One block we lived in still had the old wooden tub. Must have been six feet across. And hadn’t been used in years. Some residents changed them to party rooms with dartboards etc, but most were mainly junk storage areas.
    Washing machines are great.
    Ecrasez l’infame