TDF 2018, Stage 15: Millau > Carcassonne 22/07/2018 - 181,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Not sure if I’ve missed this but there’s talk that Moscon has been kicked off the race for hitting a Fortuneo rider.....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    I imagine Sky are losing patience with him now. Probably not worth the hassle.
    surely he will get sacked?
    For hitting someone? He's hardly the first rider to do that. I'm not sure they'd be on particularly solid legal ground.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Gweeds wrote:
    Not sure if I’ve missed this but there’s talk that Moscon has been kicked off the race for hitting a Fortuneo rider.....
    From INRNG.
    Gianni Moscon (Team Sky) punched Elie Gesbert (Fortuneo-Samsic) at the start of today's stage, the commissaires have seen the video (TV or onboard, it's unclear) and expelled him

Was only 800 m after start of the stage. Bloke clearly has a problem.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    I just can't believe that Moscon (just from taking a look at him) is the kind of guy who goes around punching people. Unless he has some skills we don't know about, he must have been beaten up quite a few times.
  • at least make contact, make it worthwhile.....that footage tells us nothing
  • slim_boy_fat
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    For hitting someone? He's hardly the first rider to do that. I'm not sure they'd be on particularly solid legal ground.
    Sky didn't leave much wriggle room.

https://twitter.com/Andymcgra/status/10 ... 3649543168
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Hinault gets hero worshipped for bigger hits.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Sky didn't leave much wriggle room.

https://twitter.com/Andymcgra/status/10 ... 3649543168
    Unless he's racial abused the rider then he's not repeated his behaviour. Looking at the incident, no-one's getting fire for that.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I've just seen the video on Twitter. It was nowhere near as bad as I expected and im sure it'll happen numerous times over the 3 weeks.

Still in the current climate I'll be surprised if he isn't sacked.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Was that it?

I'm a bit disappointed. He's just waving his arm about like an angry commuter who's been cut off by a tw8t in an Audi.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bed wetter
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Bed wetter
    after seeing the footage, sky should reward him with a contract and not fall into the ASO game
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    It’s not even clear if Moscon makes contact but he’s only got himself to blame that he was kicked off.
    This is quite damaging for a team that relies on its strong team.
  • above_the_cows
    inseine wrote:
    It’s not even clear if Moscon makes contact but he’s only got himself to blame that he was kicked off.
    This is quite damaging for a team that relies on its strong team.

They must have been one of the few teams with all 8 riders still in the race.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited July 2018
    Giving the amount of abuse the French spectators have been dishing out to Sky, could Moscon come up with a more retarded stunt to pull?
    Talented as he is, I'm not sure whether he is worth the effort.
    After all, this is strike 3.

Edit:
    Now I have seen the video and that's it? wtf?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited July 2018
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bed wetter

Is that something you want folks to know about?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slim_boy_fat
    I thought he punched him? A flick of the hand that knocked his helmet to a jaunty angle is all. Reckon that happens quite often. A bit daft considering.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Handbags.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I've not even bothered telling my daughters off for stuff that weak.

Might have advised them in things like getting the stance right and following through properly, mind...
  • above_the_cows
    Gweeds wrote:
    Handbags.

With weak sauce.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Sky Statement.
    Team Sky Team Principal, Sir Dave Brailsford, said: “We support and accept the decision by the race organisers to exclude Gianni Moscon from the Tour de France.

"Gianni is desperately disappointed in his behaviour and knows that he has let himself, the Team and the race down.

"We will address this incident with Gianni once the Tour is complete and decide then if any further action should be taken.

"I would like to offer my sincere apologies to both Elie Gesbert and Team Fortuneo Samsic for this unacceptable incident."

Team Sky will be making no further comment at this time.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    gavirias headbut was way worse than that.
  • above_the_cows
    Gianni's current location...

The-Naughty-Step-Childrens-Wall-Sticker.jpg
  • RichN95.
    tim000 wrote:
    As was Bouhanni's punch last year (200 CHF fine for that):
    https://video.eurosport.com/cycling/tou ... ideo.shtml
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    RichN95 wrote:
    tim000 wrote:
    As was Bouhanni's punch last year (200 CHF fine for that):
    https://video.eurosport.com/cycling/tou ... ideo.shtml

Let's all just accept there are different standards for different teams and nationalities.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Can't keep on about comparisons between footballers and cyclists in terms of injuries/ faking it, and then claim that this behaviour is minor. Red card offence in both sports? Seems completely justified.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Gianni Moscon racially abused an FDJ rider last year.
    He was then accused of knocking off an FDJ rider in retaliation for said rider defending his teammate who was racially abused.
    Team Sky have been castigated before and throughout this Tour for a perceived notion of "bringing the race into disrepute".
    Gianni Moscon gives the opportunity to be expelled from the Tour with the weakest "punch" you may ever have seen.
    Gianni Moscon doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer
  • RichN95.
    RonB wrote:
    Can't keep on about comparisons between footballers and cyclists in terms of injuries/ faking it, and then claim that this behaviour is minor. Red card offence in both sports? Seems completely justified.
    I don't think anyone is arguing against the DQ, more that is was a fairly weak incident and not unusual. And therefore calls for a sacking are a bit silly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    RichN95 wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    I don't think anyone is arguing against the DQ, more that is was a fairly weak incident and not unusual. And therefore calls for a sacking are a bit silly.

No, but in the performance appraisal on his Tour, his third week will be pretty poor because of disciplinary actions, and it's not like it's the first time he's done it either.