TDF 2018, Stage 9: Arras Citadelle > Roubaix 15/07/2018 - 156,5 km *Spoilers*

1202122232426»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Nibali
    Good day or bad day?

Well... didn't see him all day, but he finished with all the others. He didn't win any time, but (presumably) he didn't do any unnecessary work and stayed upright. Decent day's work. Certainly not a bad day.

Think if your a GC favourite and no one mentions your name on a stage like that you've had a good day.

He got dropped on the cobbles when the pace went up twice. He was in there with Froome because the riders stopped gunning it after Sky bombed one too many corners and tasted the dust.

Gonna have to watch this stage again.

Though you could rephrase that as Sky rode faster than they were capable of, fell off, slowed down and Nibali rejoined.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Nibali
    Good day or bad day?

Well... didn't see him all day, but he finished with all the others. He didn't win any time, but (presumably) he didn't do any unnecessary work and stayed upright. Decent day's work. Certainly not a bad day.

Think if your a GC favourite and no one mentions your name on a stage like that you've had a good day.

He got dropped on the cobbles when the pace went up twice. He was in there with Froome because the riders stopped gunning it after Sky bombed one too many corners and tasted the dust.

Gonna have to watch this stage again.

Though you could rephrase that as Sky rode faster than they were capable of, fell off, slowed down and Nibali rejoined.

A point Hincape made which I made to my wife (honest) was that, when you're at the front, you don't need to dive into the corners; the whole point is to bunch the guys behind up which makes it harder for them and safer for you, before accelerating out.

Unless it's a chase, which it wasn't, it's not to your advantage to go into corners hard; and we saw the result; not the first time sky have done that in that type of race situation either.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    For a second I thought that Froome and Moscon had crashed at the same corner that Stannard, Rowe and ?also Moscon crashed all crashed at in a recent P-R (#skyfall)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Nibali
    Good day or bad day?

According to Nibali, he lost contact briefly because of a crash but was otherwise at the front.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    ddraver wrote:
    For a second I thought that Froome and Moscon had crashed at the same corner that Stannard, Rowe and ?also Moscon crashed all crashed at in a recent P-R (#skyfall)

2016 that was, but IIRC that was coming off a section of cobbles. This time, they were going onto Mons en pevele