TDF 2018, Stage 9: Arras Citadelle > Roubaix 15/07/2018 - 156,5 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Lance seems to think the video of that trek rider means there’s a motor.
    Then he’s even more of a dick than I thought.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Lance podcast is quite good on this.

Hincape doesn’t understand why sky were bombing the corners - when youre on the front you ought to do the opposite.

Lance seems to think the video of that trek rider means there’s a motor.
    There's another video which clearly shows him putting his chain back on and then spinning the cranks by hand.Trial by twitter is really effing stupid.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Just by way of the job Naesen did, he now has the KOM on "Roubaix Approach" on Strava

That helped maybe as much as an "moto assistance"

Maybe it's the reason he got the KOM
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    gsk82 wrote:
    Just by way of the job Naesen did, he now has the KOM on "Roubaix Approach" on Strava

This.
    Incredibly Bardet averaged 50kmh for this six-kilometre, seven-minute chase, working incredibly hard to limit his losses and also taking a KOM on the final 1.4km section into Roubaix at an average speed of 60kmh.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... ava-386700
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Wie is dat?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

Meh he'd clearly only seen the first video of the situation.

Big George thought the suggestion of a motor was stupid.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    We're using timings and strava to determine if a moto driver helped Bardet after the wee man was coming back from his 4th puncture of the day but you don't want to go line by line through WADA's statement on Froome.
    You people are weird. ;):lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    knedlicky wrote:
    As ddraver says, the front peloton then starting messing around, esp after Sagan decided to call it a day. So, that the Landa group knocked off a further 20 secs in those 3 k, isn't really surprising.
    What is surprising is that the Uran group went backwards, losing 25 secs in those 3 k. Maybe many eased off having got within the 3 k mark.

The other thing which I don't think we re appreciating is that Bardet is on scintillating form and they ve got a team around him who are also super up for it.

Hopefully they can provide a bit of action tomorrow, they ve been the only ones who have shown any inclination to take it to Sky the last few years (with the singular exception of Dan Martin)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    We're using timings and strava to determine if a moto driver helped Bardet after the wee man was coming back from his 4th puncture of the day but you don't want to go line by line through WADA's statement on Froome.
    Look, Matt White was more bothered by it after the stage...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Jez mon wrote:

Meh he'd clearly only seen the first video of the situation.

Big George thought the suggestion of a motor was stupid.

It’s a weird dynamic between the two
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Twitter response to this was "I hope that's your thumb!" :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    37177077_1733146470068058_8475217600366772224_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7aae024ae31d093e4e94746229e6c971&oe=5BE8EC00
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    37157653_1733146176734754_200130722780938240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=8caef164978edb2a325e7e411194c4fd&oe=5BD281E0

52-blood-on-ropes.png
  • tailwindhome
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I had a load more stuff I was going to say about that with relation to asthma but I was at work and afterwards it didn't seem worth going back to. And frankly it doesn't seem worth it!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I suspect there's a certain irony here in professional photographers spending an absolute fortune on glass to avoid vignetting, then adding it back in Photoshop later as it improves the photo...

(spoken as someone who has just been scuppered by buying a better camera, only to discover that all his lazy hacks only worked because the camera/lens wasn't very good...)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    52-blood-on-ropes.png
    Isn't that a still from Raging Bull?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:
    52-blood-on-ropes.png
    Isn't that a still from Raging Bull?

Yeah.
    Popped into my head seeing the blood dripping from the Wanty riders hand (clearer on the image on the TDF facebook page)
  • tailwindhome
    Nibali
    Good day or bad day?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Nibali
    Good day or bad day?

Well... didn't see him all day, but he finished with all the others. He didn't win any time, but (presumably) he didn't do any unnecessary work and stayed upright. Decent day's work. Certainly not a bad day.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Question is, will the shark survive his bout with the pod of orcas tomorrow? Check in tomorrow at 6 central for the answer!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    gsk82 wrote:

This.
    Incredibly Bardet averaged 50kmh for this six-kilometre, seven-minute chase, working incredibly hard to limit his losses and also taking a KOM on the final 1.4km section into Roubaix at an average speed of 60kmh.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... ava-386700
    136 kmh max speed. Says it all about Strava's accuracy.

Barguil averaged 53kmh on that section despite being amongst a group that was not organised. No idea what Froome or Thomas averaged because they don't publish their data for some reason.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    The fact is that the Landa group was chasing for kms, but could not close and always a minute and change behind the lead group. The Uran group was chasing the Landa group for kms and only 15-20 seconds behind.
    Bardet arrives in the Landa group for the last few kms and within those 6kms or so, they close to within just 7 seconds, but now are ahead 1'-20" of the Uran clan.

And yet the French have the cheek to complain that Froome attacked?

If I were Tom Dumoulin, I'd be well p*ssed.
    I'm assuming you were looking at the gap to the leaders rather than the group of favourites.

The gap between Bardet and the group of favourites was under 30 seconds when he joined the Landa group. The Landa group had been closing the gap consistently from over 1 minute at one point. It went out slightly to maybe 35 seconds immediately after Bardet joined and then started falling again once a refreshed Naesen hit the front and the favourites started messing around.

Strava Flyby is a wonderful thing.
  • tailwindhome
    Nibali
    Good day or bad day?

Well... didn't see him all day, but he finished with all the others. He didn't win any time, but (presumably) he didn't do any unnecessary work and stayed upright. Decent day's work. Certainly not a bad day.

Think if your a GC favourite and no one mentions your name on a stage like that you've had a good day.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Not if no-one is mentioning you because they don't think you are a serious contender...
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    larkim wrote:
    Not if no-one is mentioning you because they don't think you are a serious contender...

I think he didn't get mentioned because he didn't show himself at any point. You have to spot him first.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Nibali
    Good day or bad day?

Think if your a GC favourite and no one mentions your name on a stage like that you've had a good day.

He got dropped on the cobbles when the pace went up twice. He was in there with Froome because the riders stopped gunning it after Sky bombed one too many corners and tasted the dust.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    If he got dropped (and not held up by one of the crashes) then that is not great eh?

I kinda want Froome to win because I want to see the double done, but I also want Froome to have to work for it. If Nibbles is off form that doesnt bode for an exciting race what with Richie out
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver