What's the deal with Cav?

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I don't understand how Cav's personality comes into the equation. All I expect of my sporting heroes is that they perform exceptionally and make watching sport exciting. George Best was an idiot off the pitch, but on it he was something else. And as far as cycling goes I think you will struggle to find someone more unpleasant than Pantani, but he was the most popular cyclist in his day.

The best of Cavendish's wins was when he lost his lead out train and simply jumped from wheel to wheel to suddenly appear at the front going about twice as fast as the next rider. Simply astonishing. His winning days may be over and there will be others to take his place (currently Groenewegen is looking very strong) but I think it will be a long time before we get a sprinter as exciting to watch as Cavendish.

One of my fave races was when he did a massive move to catch the break in the Nationals, he wasnt using anyones wheels. proper racing.three or 4 years ago?
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    He's going to struggle to make the timeout on stage 11. Race radio has him out the back and on his own.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    curium wrote:
    He's going to struggle to make the timeout on stage 11. Race radio has him out the back and on his own.
    Looks like he has been eliminated/abandoned, he has disappeared from all the standings.
    Edit DNF

https://www.letour.fr/en/rider/131/team ... -cavendish
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    curium wrote:
    Looks like he has been eliminated/abandoned, he has disappeared from all the standings.
    Edit DNF

Renshaw and Kittel also eliminated by the time cut. Is this where the Kittel/Cav era officially ends?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    curium wrote:
    Edit DNF

Edit: hors delai - he rolled in over an hour later, but finished the stage. The BBC report accuses him of "failing to tough it out", which I think is outrageous - finishing well outside the cut, knowing you're outside the cut for a long time beforehand, but refusing to climb off is "toughing it out" by any rational definition and several irrational ones on top.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    The BBC are fast becoming a national joke
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    On reflection, actually, doing that kind of has the feel of someone who knows he might not be back at the Tour again. Maybe this time he is (whisper it) finished?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Sign of his character that, not many would have completed the stage knowing they were going home anyway. The cameramen were lucky he was so knackered or I suspect he'd have rightly chinned them.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    He needs to sit down and think is this a case of poor/disrupted preparation, illness or is it just age and a longish career catching up with him? It's easy to think he's finished but is Kittel also washed up?

Of course Cav's problem may be finding a decent team willing to pay him anything like the money he's been used to even if he does think he can enjoy an Indian summer to his career.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    He needs to sit down and think is this a case of poor/disrupted preparation, illness or is it just age and a longish career catching up with him? It's easy to think he's finished but is Kittel also washed up?

Of course Cav's problem may be finding a decent team willing to pay him anything like the money he's been used to even if he does think he can enjoy an Indian summer to his career.

Greipel is three years older than Cav and still in the tour, so the 'age' thing is difficult to argue in that context...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Both Kittel and Cavendish have recently had to deal with season destroying illnesses. It's got to be hard to come back from, particularly at his age.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    2007 was the last year without Kittel, Cavendish or Greipel winning a stage
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    The BBC report accuses him of "failing to tough it out", which I think is outrageous

Perhaps the BBC ought to get on a bike and ride the stage; their perspective may change...
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    From the spoiler thread:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Millar had a nice story about Cavendish on the ITV podcast. He said he went down to somewhere called 'diversion' near the finish (probably where the vehicles pull off) to see Cavendish finish and he found Rod Ellingworth there. He asked Ellingworth why he was there and he said he felt a little bit responsible for it as he'd drilled into him as a junior that you always finish a race. And despite all Sky's success today he made time to clap Cavendish across the line.
  • G Hincapie
    RichN95 wrote:
    Both Kittel and Cavendish have recently had to deal with season destroying illnesses. It's got to be hard to come back from, particularly at his age.

He's 33 not 63.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Lovely day for cycling today both for fans of G and for fans of not liking Cav.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    From the spoiler thread:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Millar had a nice story about Cavendish on the ITV podcast. He said he went down to somewhere called 'diversion' near the finish (probably where the vehicles pull off) to see Cavendish finish and he found Rod Ellingworth there. He asked Ellingworth why he was there and he said he felt a little bit responsible for it as he'd drilled into him as a junior that you always finish a race. And despite all Sky's success today he made time to clap Cavendish across the line.

He's also written about it here:
    https://chpt3.com/blogs/journal/well-done-mark

Worth it just for the following quote:
    He told me he was the fastest sprinter in the world. He’d just won a bunch sprint in Berlin and put 20m into the next guy. I thought he was insane and overweight.
  • G Hincapie
    From the spoiler thread:
    RichN95 wrote:

He's also written about it here:
    https://chpt3.com/blogs/journal/well-done-mark

Worth it just for the following quote:
    He told me he was the fastest sprinter in the world. He’d just won a bunch sprint in Berlin and put 20m into the next guy. I thought he was insane and overweight.

That is actually a pretty good read. Mr Millar writes well I think. Thanks for the link.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Cav's had an awful couple of years, hasn't he? I still think he could get back to a level capable of winning staged. Problem is, he needs to find a team willing to give him the money and the leadout. He could take a hit on salary maybe, but will also need support to really compete. Wh would be willing to build a leadout train around him? Staying at DD may be the best option, but he'd need some new faces based on this year's showings.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Hopefully he'll ride the Vuelta.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    theres always chipper races round Castle Coome. There are no hills for him to worry about there.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Hats off Cav, hopefully He can come back to His stage winning days! Nice words from Millar too.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • RichN95.
    He left a leaving present for Chris Froome

DidTT8YX0AALlko.jpg
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    G Hincapie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He's 33 not 63.

And it was glandular fever; not a head cold.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Wouldn't be at all surprised to hear he was ill again. These things can flare back up.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Ben6899 wrote:
    G Hincapie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He's 33 not 63.

Yep, it can absolutely destroy your fitness. Really tough to get over - I know because it hit me when I was 19 and took me a few years to fully get over it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Imposter wrote:

Greipel is three years older than Cav and still in the tour, so the 'age' thing is difficult to argue in that context...
    Not necessarily so... :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    Ben6899 wrote:
    G Hincapie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He's 33 not 63.

Yep, it can absolutely destroy your fitness. Really tough to get over - I know because it hit me when I was 19 and took me a few years to fully get over it.
    It's basically killed Benat Intxausti's career. He's barely raced for three years.
  • G Hincapie
    I really hope I am reading that wrong, but I looked at this and thought 'He's eluding to retirement'.

Capture_Cav.png
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Don't think so. Think it's more literal with him not climbing off, but rather doggedly finishing the stage like a true champ.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023