What's the deal with Cav?

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    ddraver wrote:
    Nah, Cervelos are the BMWs of Mamilia

Cervelos were the BMWs but now they're more niche, kinda like Jags during the Ford era.

Canyons are now mos def the BMWs of Mamilia...
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    In the old days Cav used to bounce and get up and ride again, now he seems to break all to often. Can't be good for the sprinting mentality.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Beatmaker wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I don't see him as being arrogant. When he wins he's always thanking his team mates for getting him up there.

You don't win 30 tdf stages without being a great sprinter.

The arrogance statement needs to be taken in the context of the poster, and taking into account his other 1500 odd posts of total ****.

fGBOxy3.jpg
  • milemuncher1
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I don't see him as being arrogant. When he wins he's always thanking his team mates for getting him up there.

Milemuncher hates Cav

Not particularly, he’s a knob, I don’t really care though.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Milemuncher hates Cav

Pot, kettle, black, etc...
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    lol when cav first appeared he was an arrogant nob but that was years ago.

sagan was no better and both have them have grown a pair and grown up. Cav must be nearing the end of his career but theres life in the old dog yet.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565

You've met him and spent some time with him then?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    dish_dash wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Nah, Cervelos are the BMWs of Mamilia

Cervelos were the BMWs but now they're more niche, kinda like Jags during the Ford era.

Canyons are now mos def the BMWs of Mamilia...

Hot damn it, never got the memo, gotta flog the Lynskeys and Cannondales asap
  • milemuncher1
    Gweeds wrote:

Enough to know what’s what.
  • imposter2.0
    edited July 2018
    Gweeds wrote:

That's a 'no' then. You walts are all the same. Watching him being interviewed on TV is not the same as meeting him.
  • gweeds

So no then. Thought as much.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • milemuncher1
    Imposter wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

You walts are all the same. Watching him being interviewed on TV is not the same as meeting him.

Are you still here? What is the point of you posting in a cycle forum? You don’t ride, wouldn’t you be better off on mumsnet?

“Walt” :lol:

Do fcuk off.
  • milemuncher1
    Gweeds wrote:

I’ve met him several times, spent a few hours talking to him, I don’t like him, I’m sure the feeling is mutual, it’s more than you ever have ( or likely will ).
  • imposter2.0
    I don’t like him, I’m sure the feeling is mutual,

Well there's a surprise. Has that ever happened before?
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

You walts are all the same. Watching him being interviewed on TV is not the same as meeting him.

Are you still here? What is the point of you posting in a cycle forum? You don’t ride, wouldn’t you be better off on mumsnet?

“Walt” :lol:

Do fcuk off.

Just quoting this for the record. I was riding, racing and organising while you were still playing golf - and I'll probably still be here (and still riding) long after you've been banned (again)...
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Gweeds wrote:

I have to say that in his second book he did with Friebe, he didn't come across particularly well. He seemed genuinely shocked that Team Sky might prioritise yellow over him and was upset that Sean Yates didn't give him a pat on the back after he performed domestique duties. He also seemed very, very obsessed with money. I admired his honesty, though.
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:

I’ve met him several times, spent a few hours talking to him, I don’t like him, I’m sure the feeling is mutual, it’s more than you ever have ( or likely will ).

Yes dear. Of course you have. And if I had three heads you’d have four.

Good effort on assuming btw. You know what they say about that.
  • imposter2.0
    nickice wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

I have to say that in his second book he did with Friebe, he didn't come across particularly well. He seemed genuinely shocked that Team Sky might prioritise yellow over him and was upset that Sean Yates didn't give him a pat on the back after he performed domestique duties. He also seemed very, very obsessed with money. I admired his honesty, though.

I've only met him the once, a couple of months after he won the worlds. He was with his missus, who had just announced she was expecting. He came across as very humble and genuine. My lad has also met him and has the same impression.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Imposter wrote:
    nickice wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

I've only met him the once, a couple of months after he won the worlds. He was with his missus, who had just announced she was expecting. He came across as very humble and genuine. My lad has also met him and has the same impression.

Maybe he is a nice guy but from reading his book, I didn't really like him. Each to their own.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What is the point of you posting in a cycle forum? You don’t ride, wouldn’t you be better off on mumsnet?

Because mums, or people who post in mumsnet don't ride? This is a 99.9% sexism free zone, don't ruin it.
    Do fcuk off.

Well quite.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    This is classic TDF posting.

Asking "how much do you ride, bro", petty insults, resorting to name calling and assumptions.

Vive le Tour! God I miss the classics
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Asking "how much do you ride, bro", petty insults, resorting to name calling and assumptions.

Ah, Pro Race in July...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Ah, Pro Race in July...

It's not been too bad this year. A full week of terrible stages has probably done us a favour...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Ah, Pro Race in July...

It's not been too bad this year. A full week of terrible stages has probably done us a favour...
    I think certain external factors might also have played a part.

I am sure normal July service will be resumed next week!
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    Excellent Cavendish interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe6hbrRLsQ4

I still love him x
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    florerider wrote:
    Maybe the Griepel Cav era is over, it's not just Cav no longer getting there. Maybe Kittel had the bad luck to be sandwiched between the end of their era and the new boys. But the lack of lead out compared to his HTC and OPQS days is noticeable.

The GC trains leading into 3k or deeper might be a factor too.

So, Is Gav the new Cav?

No, the Lotto Jumbo sprinter whose name I can't spell is the new Cav I think. There may be other new Cav's also; Cav's everywhere!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    (Good to see you back by the way LL/G Hincapie ;) )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Groenewegen is the future of sprinting 100%... If he can stay injury free, he shall take Sagan's crown...
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 461
    I don't understand how Cav's personality comes into the equation. All I expect of my sporting heroes is that they perform exceptionally and make watching sport exciting. George Best was an idiot off the pitch, but on it he was something else. And as far as cycling goes I think you will struggle to find someone more unpleasant than Pantani, but he was the most popular cyclist in his day.

The best of Cavendish's wins was when he lost his lead out train and simply jumped from wheel to wheel to suddenly appear at the front going about twice as fast as the next rider. Simply astonishing. His winning days may be over and there will be others to take his place (currently Groenewegen is looking very strong) but I think it will be a long time before we get a sprinter as exciting to watch as Cavendish.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,599
    Some public/fans seem to struggle with the concept that sportspeople at the absolute top of their game are single minded, focused, selfish, confident/arrogant and extremely driven, all of which can look a bit arrogant/grumpy out of context.

I'm certainly not going to pretend to be some great coffee stop pal of Cavs ;) but the times I've briefly met him he has been very polite. My wife engaged him in conversation once about an impending birth, and he really 'melted' - clearly he was happy to be chatting something other than cycling or racing for a few minutes. Decent bloke I reckon.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner