Chris Froome salbutamol/Tour merged threads

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    In some ways sky are contentious because a lot of people seem to want their success to be down to money and cheating. When every attempt to condemn them for cheating results in sky and sky team members being cleared, that just leaves the money which other teams have as well. Not enough of a distinction I think. Kind of leaves it to sky are better at doing what they do.

That phrase is stupid. Contentious for doing things right.
    Well it is down to money, isn't it?

Buy all the best riders and have them ride on the front - classic...
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just going back to the debate on Elite/Pro athletes using medication to bring themselves up to the level playing field... I'd be interested to hear Vino's views on Sir Steve Redgrave, that National Treasure of the UK and all round inspirational figure to anyone remotely interested in taking part in sport.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    I'd say Roglic's sudden rise to these heights is more suspicious than Sky's riders performances.

I bet in the Clinic, where nobody can get anywhere in cycling without a flat graph of rising achievement over many years without it being "proof" of massive doping must have something to say about this chap!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Just going back to the debate on Elite/Pro athletes using medication to bring themselves up to the level playing field... I'd be interested to hear Vino's views on Sir Steve Redgrave, that National Treasure of the UK and all round inspirational figure to anyone remotely interested in taking part in sport.

My views on asthma medcine and other products being used in elite sport to overcome physilogocical imbalance are clear, and havent changed. Theyre not palatable to some incapable of looking at an issue broadly and im not going to repeat them again.

Nice attempt to troll though. I give you 5/5
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,246
    NozzaC wrote:
    I'd say Roglic's sudden rise to these heights is more suspicious than Sky's riders performances.
    Roglic's rise would seem sudden only if you haven't been paying attention to pro-cycling for the last three years.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

My views on asthma medcine and other products being used in elite sport to overcome physilogocical imbalance are clear, and havent changed. Theyre not palatable to some incapable of looking at an issue broadly and im not going to repeat them again.

You clearly have no idea what I was getting at. Maybe read up on him beyond his rowing...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Vino'sGhost
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

You clearly have no idea what I was getting at. Maybe read up on him beyond his rowing...

hang on then
  • Vino'sGhost
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

hang on then

are you referring to his diabetes?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

hang on then

And his ulcerative colitis. Both of which he has been medicating since 1997 and 1992, respectively. By the rules you outlined earlier, he should never have been in the fuck1ng boat.
    Ben

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    We've been through this, basically where do you draw the line, is ibruprofen ok? Caffeine ? Nicotine? Hi5 sports drink?

We want as many people playing sport as possible, if literally millions of people with asthma and other conditions that are controlled through medication are banned from competitive sport then how does that benefit society?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Vino'sGhost
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

hang on then

And his ulcerative colitis. Both of which he has been medicating since 1997 and 1992, respectively. By the rules you outlined earlier, he should never have been in the fuck1ng boat.

so my initial answer was bang on then, why are you ranting?
  • Vino'sGhost
    We've been through this, basically where do you draw the line, is ibruprofen ok? Caffeine ? Nicotine? Hi5 sports drink?

We want as many people playing sport as possible, if literally millions of people with asthma and other conditions that are controlled through medication are banned from competitive sport then how does that benefit society?

Absolutely agree.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Just picking up on a point, you are implying that more people doing "competitive sport" "benefits society". Why?

I could agree that more people exercising benefits society, but "competitive sport"? Really?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Steve Redgrave ...And his ulcerative colitis. Both of which he has been medicating since 1997 and 1992, respectively. By the rules you outlined earlier, he should never have been in the fuck1ng boat.

Ahh, but it would have saved us having to watch his boring mug talking on the TV for the last decade, and having one of our "greatest olympians of all time" achieve it doing a sport which is about as boring as you can get.
  • Vino'sGhost
    just to recap

my comments on asthma drugs etc apply to elite sport, its my view, some people dont agree with it. By the way heres a good G quote for you "people with asthma should go and work in an office"
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

hang on then

so my initial answer was bang on then, why are you ranting?

Not ranting.

You dodge discussion very well, when the facts don't align to your world ideal.
    Ben

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    edited July 2018
    just to recap

my comments on asthma drugs etc apply to elite sport, its my view, some people dont agree with it. By the way heres a good G quote for you "people with asthma should go and work in an office"
    That's completely taken out of context, but I suppose if it suits your narrative.
  • Ben6899
    mfin wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Steve Redgrave ...And his ulcerative colitis. Both of which he has been medicating since 1997 and 1992, respectively. By the rules you outlined earlier, he should never have been in the fuck1ng boat.

Ahh, but it would have saved us having to watch his boring mug talking on the TV for the last decade, and having one of our "greatest olympians of all time" achieve it doing a sport which is about as boring as you can get.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Did you know that drugs are available that bring your sense of self worth up to a level comparable with normal people? You can still go cycling as well.
    Ben

• Vino'sGhost
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Did you know that drugs are available that bring your sense of self worth up to a level comparable with normal people? You can still go cycling as well.

Well I do know that when people resort to personal abuse they have little or nothing to add to the discussion. Im guessing you don't agree with his comment. thats fine, but you haven't articulated an alternative view.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    Why is this thread still wittering on? Bor-ing.
  • Vino'sGhost
    orraloon wrote:
    Why is this thread still wittering on? Bor-ing.

cause people keep adding useful stuff like above :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Well I do know that when people resort to personal abuse they have little or nothing to add to the discussion. Im guessing you don't agree with his comment. thats fine, but you haven't articulated an alternative view.

I think you're using the salbutamol thing to hit Froome. And I suggested that you probably have an issue with Sir Steve Redgrave, if your issue is a genuine one with people medicating to bring themselves in line with healthy people in order to be able to compete in Elite/Pro level sport. You seemed unwilling to give a clear opinion on that, which I found odd.

mfin's forum persona is one that only says negative things about others - either other members or whoever might be the subject of the discussion (this time, Redgrave). And it's dull.
    Ben

• Vino'sGhost
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I think you're using the salbutamol thing to hit Froome. And I suggested that you probably have an issue with Sir Steve Redgrave, if your issue is a genuine one with people medicating to bring themselves in line with healthy people in order to be able to compete in Elite/Pro level sport. You seemed unwilling to give a clear opinion on that, which I found odd.

mfin's forum persona is one that only says negative things about others - either other members or whoever might be the subject of the discussion (this time, Redgrave). And it's dull.

You're being hysterical. my point isn't aimed at or used as a convenient stick to beat people with. Its a view. That Elite sport should be just that. Redgrave is a well respected champion, he seems like a decent bloke too.

In other online forums you might have used discrimination or something else to cause your trouble. Here however, other than keeping the thread going you're achieving little. You seem like an angry person.

Im downgrading your trolling score from 5 to 3 (must try harder)
  • Ben6899
    You're being hysterical. my point isn't aimed at or used as a convenient stick to beat people with. Its a view. That Elite sport should be just that. Redgrave is a well respected champion, he seems like a decent bloke too.

In other online forums you might have used discrimination or something else to cause your trouble. Here however, other than keeping the thread going you're achieving little. You seem like an angry person.

Im downgrading your trolling score from 5 to 3 (must try harder)

Ha! Hardly. :)

It comes across, looking like a stick. I'm not the only one who suspected as such.

You say Redgrave "is a well respected champion" and I agree with this. This is genuinely the only thing I wanted to discuss - he is extremely well respected, but should he be a champion? By your rules, no. Which seems a massive shame.

I'm not trolling - I don't have the energy for it and you've already spotted that I wouldn't be very good at it.
    Ben

• jwa581
    jwa581 Posts: 24

This, this and this!!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    mfin wrote:

Just picking up on a point, you are implying that more people doing "competitive sport" "benefits society". Why?

I could agree that more people exercising benefits society, but "competitive sport"? Really?
    More people doing competitive sport means more people exercising generally and having top level athletes in a sport encourages more people to take up that sport.

I'll admit to taking up road cycling following the 2012 olympics (and losing 18kg!) - sports exists on a continuum from light exercise to top level competition, it doesn't fit into neat boxes like that. I personally have dabbled in competitive cycling (hill climbs), but am primarily a leisure cyclist, whereas some people I ride with do ride more competitive events, but others do none at all.

How many kids take up football because of the premier league and get a good runaround as a result? They aren't all going to play in the premier league but competitive sport still results in more kids doing exercise.
  • jwa581 wrote:

This, this and this!!

I think if you qualify for a Pro account on Strava (*) then you have to go into bat with what nature provided if your treatment is on the WADA banned list. If you're just doing it for fun, including grass roots racing, then if you've got a prescription or can buy it OTC then you should be able to compete with that/those.

(*) or some other credible definition of a pro/elite sportsman.
  • just to recap

you snake, put the full quote up

Thomas, who told us he’s never had a TUE himself, said the authorities “should do more to take out grey area.
    “Brad ticked all the boxes,” he continued, “but the issue is how they dish them out, what’s involved.
    “If someone has asthma and it reduces their performance by 8 per cent but they take a drug and it increases it by 12, how do you even measure that?
    “It’s a hard one but at the end of the day you could just ban all that stuff anyway. If you’ve got asthma, go and work in an office or something,” he added.
  • Vino'sGhost
    just to recap

you snake, put the full quote up

Thomas, who told us he’s never had a TUE himself, said the authorities “should do more to take out grey area.
    “Brad ticked all the boxes,” he continued, “but the issue is how they dish them out, what’s involved.
    “If someone has asthma and it reduces their performance by 8 per cent but they take a drug and it increases it by 12, how do you even measure that?
    “It’s a hard one but at the end of the day you could just ban all that stuff anyway. If you’ve got asthma, go and work in an office or something,” he added.
    So we’re agreed he said it then? I agree with him.
  • aye but you are making it out that he doesn't think people with Asthma should be cycling and that's not what he said