Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Chris Froome salbutamol/Tour merged threads

kleinstrokerkleinstroker Posts: 2,130
edited August 2018 in Pro race
Hinault now calling for riders to strike in protest at Froome's presence at this years tour.

http://www.velonews.com/2018/06/news/road/hinault-calls-rider-strike-protest-froome-tour_470087
“The peloton should just stop and strike, saying, ‘If he’s on it, we’re not,’” Hinault said.

“Contador payed the price for the same thing, he was suspended, but him (Froome) nothing,” said Hinault said, referencing Alberto Contador’s ban after testing positive for clenbuterol, which also led to the Spaniard being stripped of his 2010 Tour de France title.

“Ventolin might not be much, and maybe its not what made [Froome] win the Vuelta, but the rules are the rules, and they should be applied to everyone.”

So he is saying that the Salbutamol probably didn't effect his win at the Vuelta, but he's a cheat and should not ride the tour. Not very consistent or eloquent, but he knows it will cause trouble.
«13456744

Posts

  • Nick PayneNick Payne Posts: 288
    Can't say I disagree with him. Based on what's come out over the past few years, Team Sky seem to think they're a higher form of life and can bend the rules to suit themselves.
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,320
    thems the rules Kleinstroker.
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 8,059
    Hinault doesn't understand the rules clearly... as they do not say he should be suspended at this stage.

    Also comparing it to Contadors case doesn't make sense as clenbuterol is a banned substance.

    It would be good of they could get the decision done and dusted before the tour starts though.
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,018
    At least Hinault has experience of failed drug tests.
  • simon_esimon_e Posts: 1,675
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Can't say I disagree with him. Based on what's come out over the past few years, Team Sky seem to think they're a higher form of life and can bend the rules to suit themselves.
    No, it's the UCI who make and enforce the rules (as has been repeated on here and elsewhere goodness knows how many times). Regardless of your views, Sky are respecting the process. Go and argue with the UCI if you don't like it.

    Hinault is looking rather out of touch (as well as being rather hypocritical). Anyway, we've already seen what he thinks of people who disrupt races by striking.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • sherersherer Posts: 2,395
    lets not forget this is all meant to be done behind closed doors and not made public. For all Hinault knows there could be 20 other riders going through the same thing with the UCI but their cases might not have been linked to the press.
  • timoid.timoid. Posts: 3,133
    davidof wrote:
    At least Hinault has experience of failed drug tests.


    And paid the price as set by the rules of his day. He may be mistaken in how the rules need to be applied in the Froome case, but he is right to state that rues need to be applied.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Simon E wrote:
    Hinault is looking rather out of touch (as well as being rather hypocritical). Anyway, we've already seen what he thinks of people who disrupt races by striking.


    False equivalency.

    If people were honest with themselves, Froome starting the Tour with his case still not resolved does not sit right.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Man who didn't take doping test has issues with man who did.
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 9,067
    Getting rid of a lot of his opposition. That will teach him.
    and then the next thing you know
  • graeme_s-2graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    timoid. wrote:
    If people were honest with themselves, Froome starting the Tour with his case still not resolved does not sit right.
    You mean "Froome starting the tour with his case which we only know about because it was leaked to the press still not resolved does not sit right"?

    We've no idea how many riders have started GTs and the TDF with adverse analytical findings hanging over them.
  • pottsstevepottssteve Posts: 4,033
    Sky have issued a press release:

    A Team Sky Spokesperson said:

    'It is disappointing that Bernard Hinault has, once again, repeated factually incorrect comments about a case he clearly does not understand.

    ‘His comments are irresponsible and ill-informed. Chris has not had a positive test, rather an adverse analytical finding for a prescribed asthma medication. As an ex-rider himself, Bernard will appreciate the need for fairness for each and every athlete. And at the current time, Chris is entitled to race.

    ‘This process would normally be confidential to protect the athlete and establish the facts. Unfortunately, it was leaked. However, both Chris and the team are following the process that has been put in place by the UCI.

    ‘It is clearly a difficult situation which no one wants resolved more quickly than Chris and the team.

    ‘Chris and Team Sky are fully-focused on the upcoming Tour de France and won’t let these uneducated comments affect our preparation for the greatest race in the world.’
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Vino'sGhostVino'sGhost Posts: 4,320
    this should not take this long to be concluded.

    1 AAF
    2 reason for AAF presented
    3 reason for AAF considered and accepted or not.
    4 sanction or not
    5 move on

    I hope Froomes evidence is leaked too if theres a ghost twin or alienvampire dog in there somewhere
  • N0bodyOfTheGoatN0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 4,007
    Let's make this a level playing field, let's know who else has a drugs investigation going on, when the case started and what races these riders have done since plus their final classification position. :twisted:
    ================
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mamil314mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Can't say I disagree with him. Based on what's come out over the past few years, Team Sky seem to think they're a higher form of life and can bend the rules to suit themselves.

    So what you just said here is you do not like Sky and they should be punished for something, anything. Gotcha.

    timoid. wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    At least Hinault has experience of failed drug tests.


    And paid the price as set by the rules of his day. He may be mistaken in how the rules need to be applied in the Froome case, but he is right to state that rues need to be applied.
    Absolutely. And, for now, rules say Froome can ride.
  • jimmythecuckoojimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,405
    pottssteve wrote:
    Sky have issued a press release:

    A Team Sky Spokesperson said:

    'It is disappointing that Bernard Hinault has, once again, repeated factually incorrect comments about a case he clearly does not understand.

    ‘His comments are irresponsible and ill-informed. Chris has not had a positive test, rather an adverse analytical finding for a prescribed asthma medication. As an ex-rider himself, Bernard will appreciate the need for fairness for each and every athlete. And at the current time, Chris is entitled to race.

    ‘This process would normally be confidential to protect the athlete and establish the facts. Unfortunately, it was leaked. However, both Chris and the team are following the process that has been put in place by the UCI.

    ‘It is clearly a difficult situation which no one wants resolved more quickly than Chris and the team.

    ‘Chris and Team Sky are fully-focused on the upcoming Tour de France and won’t let these uneducated comments affect our preparation for the greatest race in the world.’


    Whammy !
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 10,862
    PoliticalWelllitDunlin.gif

    giphy.gif
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 10,862
    Seriously he's a man who talks with his fists. This should tell you all you need to know about the intellect of the man.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 10,862
    timoid. wrote:
    f people were honest with themselves, Froome starting the Tour with his case still not resolved does not sit right.

    But them's the rules. He's allowed to compete under the current rules. Your issue is with the rules (and the ideals on which they are based) of innocent until proven guilty, not with Froome.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cowsabove_the_cows Posts: 10,862
    And to be fair of this was a criminal trial, all this silly prattle by people who sadly do not know any better could indeed prejudice the trial.

    Bernard Hinault, the Tommy Robinson of cycling: discuss...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • simon_esimon_e Posts: 1,675
    We've seen insults, boos, urine and even airgun pellets being used against riders in the Tour.

    With these sentiments being expressed by someone as prominent as Hinault it's surely only a matter of time before some meathead steps out in front of Froome to stop him riding, which will f..k it up completely. If something like that did happen I'd want to have Sean Yates in the team car ;)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,609
    this should not take this long to be concluded.

    1 AAF
    2 reason for AAF presented
    3 reason for AAF considered and accepted or not.
    4 sanction or not
    5 move on

    I hope Froomes evidence is leaked too if theres a ghost twin or alienvampire dog in there somewhere

    I think we all wish it were that simple. I assume that Sky are not controlling the time line rather WADA are nervous as hell of being sued into oblivion by a contestable decision.
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 11,041
    Would it be churlish to suggest that he is probably more concerned that someone may top his palmares?
    I don't care. I'm suggesting it anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • supermurph09supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Simon E wrote:
    We've seen insults, boos, urine and even airgun pellets being used against riders in the Tour.

    With these sentiments being expressed by someone as prominent as Hinault it's surely only a matter of time before some meathead steps out in front of Froome to stop him riding, which will f..k it up completely. If something like that did happen I'd want to have Sean Yates in the team car ;)

    Exactly this, all Hinault is doing is stirring up a hornets nest that will end up with one drunken imbecile going too far. Not a Froome fan, I think this whole situation stinks but this is not going to help. Seeing a rider assaulted is not what anyone (well apart from Hinault) wants.
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 3,980
    It would be interesting if someone leaked all the other AAFs both outstanding and settled so that there is a better understanding of this issue. By that I mean if there are a lot of prominent riders who have or are under an AAF then Froone's AAF would amount to just another one and its significance would possibly get diluted so that those who only bang on about it because its Froome and sky will shut up and let due process run its course. My pint is half full not half empty!
  • ProssPross Posts: 22,137
    pblakeney wrote:
    Would it be churlish to suggest that he is probably more concerned that someone may top his palmares?
    I don't care. I'm suggesting it anyway.

    Or as he realises it's the most likely way they'll get a French winner?
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 11,041
    Pross wrote:
    pblakeney wrote:
    Would it be churlish to suggest that he is probably more concerned that someone may top his palmares?
    I don't care. I'm suggesting it anyway.

    Or as he realises it's the most likely way they'll get a French winner?
    Not the given reason either way, but more likely.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 46,651 Lives Here
    You sorta feel the journos are all excited about it because they're of an age where he was the first big rider they got to know.

    A bit like me and Ullrich/Pantani.
  • slowmartslowmart Posts: 3,807
    If Froome was French no doubt Hinault would be offering Froome a reach around and unwavering support.
    And God created the bicycle, so that man could use it as a means for work and to help him negotiate life's complicated journey.
  • kingstoniankingstonian Posts: 2,082
    Good statement from Sky.

    If anyone wants to point the finger it should be pointed at the UCI and WADA. Firstly what should have been confidential was leaked, and secondly for it to take this long to decide the case is frankly ridiculous.
Sign In or Register to comment.