• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,630
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Old man in 'things were better in my day' shocka

old.jpg
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Put simply hinault doesn't seem to understand about salbutamol, AAF and procedures of the AAFs. He also associates things like kids taking salbutamol with top racers. Correct me if I'm wrong salbutamol is a prescription drug in France like the UK. So all those kids are either using doctor prescribed medicine or they're using illegally obtained drugs. Which is most likely?

but its not just Bernie, Joe public seems to know f'all about it either, there were people in our office the other week equating taking salbutamol to the gains blood doping gives you, and I did admire I think it was the Gruaniad this week published a letter from a doctor who had written in to point out that trying to split hairs that as one official report had mentioned chest infection, whilst another had mentioned worsening asthma the stories were contradictory and therefore clearly not straight, was total nonsense because one condition inexorably leads to the other, which even the most cursory examination of asthma would have told them, there is a reason why people of all ages with asthma get free flu jabs.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    awavey wrote:
    and I did admire I think it was the Gruaniad this week published a letter from a doctor who had written in to point out that trying to split hairs that as one official report had mentioned chest infection, whilst another had mentioned worsening asthma the stories were contradictory and therefore clearly not straight, was total nonsense because one condition inexorably leads to the other, which even the most cursory examination of asthma would have told them, there is a reason why people of all ages with asthma get free flu jabs.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... good-sense

Of course Jeremy Whittle will ignore it, because without his suspicion he has nothing left
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    RichN95 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    and I did admire I think it was the Gruaniad this week published a letter from a doctor who had written in to point out that trying to split hairs that as one official report had mentioned chest infection, whilst another had mentioned worsening asthma the stories were contradictory and therefore clearly not straight, was total nonsense because one condition inexorably leads to the other, which even the most cursory examination of asthma would have told them, there is a reason why people of all ages with asthma get free flu jabs.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... good-sense

Of course Jeremy Whittle will ignore it, because without his suspicion he has nothing left

If you accept Froome's set of facts you must accept that in the third week of the Vuelta, on the way to his second grand tour of the year, he was increasing his medication due to suffering from the symptoms of asthma, a condition ATC says shouldn't be belittled, he was suffering a 'documented illness' [chest infection] and was still winning the TT, putting time into his GC rivals and attacking to gain points in the points competition just because he could.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.

If you accept Froome's set of facts you must accept that in the third week of the Vuelta, on the way to his second grand tour of the year, he was increasing his medication due to suffering from the symptoms of asthma, a condition ATC says shouldn't be belittled, he was suffering a 'documented illness' [chest infection] and was still winning the TT, putting time into his GC rivals and attacking to gain points in the points competition just because he could.
    It was a chest infection, not ebola. A cough. People noted at the time he looked a bit under the weather. Most riders are feeling run down in the third week.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:

It was a chest infection, not ebola. A cough. People noted at the time he looked a bit under the weather. Most riders are feeling run down in the third week.

Move along nothing to see here, man with respiratory infection and breathing difficulties smashes gt in the mountains, nothing to see here, its normal.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    Quite agree, but his point was that they would do it just for the sheer exuberance.
    )

High as kites on amphetamines...
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    davidof wrote:
    Quite agree, but his point was that they would do it just for the sheer exuberance.
    )

High as kites on amphetamines...

ahhhh Pot Belge, now those were the days.........
  • Chris Froome has a saddle sore..
    Not good for the defending champ
    Source: Inrng
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Chris Froome has a saddle sore..

You mean like the one he had when he put everyone to the sword in the Giro?
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Chris Froome has a saddle sore..

You mean like the one he had when he put everyone to the sword in the Giro?
    Hahahahaha..
    Yes!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    20070210_horse_with_covered_face.jpg

This dude got to keep their anonymity.

Won the Grand National, Kentucky Derby, L'Arc De Troimphe and the Melbourne Cup after being spotted giving kids rides on Blackpool beach

What a story :lol:
    Seabiscuit was relegated to a heavy schedule of smaller races. He failed to win his first 17 races, usually finishing back in the field. After that, Fitzsimmons did not spend much time on him, and the horse was sometimes the butt of stable jokes....
    .....He beat the 1937 Triple-Crown winner, War Admiral, by 4 lengths in a 2-horse special at Pimlico, and was voted American Horse of the Year for 1938. In the Blood-Horse magazine List of the Top 100 U.S. Racehorses of the 20th Century (1999), Seabiscuit was ranked 25th.

Dream Alliance was bred by Janet Vokes, whose main experience until then had been with breeding whippets and racing pigeons. While working as a barmaid at a local pub, she overheard Howard Davies, a local tax adviser, discussing a racehorse he had once owned. She was inspired by the idea, and soon after she and her husband, Brian, found a mare named Rewbell who was available for ₤1000, due in part to a barbed wire injury and a very bad temperament. They ultimately bought her for ₤350 and named Davies as the "racing manager" of the group.....
    ......The horse won the 2009 Welsh National by three-quarters of a length,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g ... e-44917834

I don't know what to say.
    Anything's possible I suppose :)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    Having come back to NL now, there is one particualr stretch of bike path I ride that runs through a relativly natural (this is Holland remember). Every time I ride through this field I feel like someon has sat on my chest...

Do I need a toke of this magical Salbutamol..?

I've not really had this much before, maybe on really dusty MTB trails on hot days, and I ve not been riding much so it could be that I'm not used to breathing hard to so long...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    4E890E3300000578-5986029-image-a-6_1532431534476.jpg

" sacré bleu " ! The French will be complaining what drugs is he putting into his eyes? He'll have super strong vision.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I did semi-seriously wonder whether ingesting that shit the French police were spraying round might affect analytical readings...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I did semi-seriously wonder whether ingesting that shit the French police were spraying round might affect analytical readings...

While wanting this thread to just die, I believe tear gas is detectable in the body for some time after exposure.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I was wondering how people might feel if (as seems increasingly likely) Thomas wins this tour and Froome comes in second, only for Thomas to have his result annulled for a doping positive, giving Froome the win.

Now THAT would send the clinic/usual sky/froome haters into absolute meltdown - it would be amusing just to watch.

To be clear, I don't for a moment think Thomas is doping, certainly not any more so than any other GC contender anyhow.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

While wanting this thread to just die, I believe tear gas is detectable in the body for some time after exposure.

Its paper spray or capsicum not tear gas/CS. It has no beneficial effects (except to the person spraying it) and is not detectable other than residue on the skin and clothing if not washed off. With CS, you let it dry until it crystallises and blows off in the wind. With pepper you rinse it off or apply the anti solution. In the heat it could have been pretty nasty, with sweat aiding the pepper solution to run into some very sensitive places.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • RichN95.
    philthy3 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Its paper spray or capsicum not tear gas/CS. It has no beneficial effects (except to the person spraying it) and is not detectable other than residue on the skin and clothing if not washed off. With CS, you let it dry until it crystallises and blows off in the wind. With pepper you rinse it off or apply the anti solution. In the heat it could have been pretty nasty, with sweat aiding the pepper solution to run into some very sensitive places.
    You could clearly see from the photos that it was this stuff

Pfefferspray_63ml_TW1000_Jet_Strahl_ml.jpg
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Looking on the positives, the French farmers growing peppers & chilis will be happy.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    "Tygart said in nearly 75,000 drug tests conducted by Usada since the salbutamol rule was updated in 2011, the organisation did not find "a single athlete" in any sport that exceeded the maximum permitted amount."

From an article on BBC website today
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm sorry, I just don't believe that. 75,000 tests, of athletes who are more likely to have asthma than the average person (EIA), and not one of them were over the AAF threshold for Salbutamol? I'm not having that.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,215
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'm sorry, I just don't believe that. 75,000 tests, of athletes who are more likely to have asthma than the average person (EIA), and not one of them were over the AAF threshold for Salbutamol? I'm not having that.

Is asthma treated with different meds in the US perhaps?
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    "Tygart said in nearly 75,000 drug tests conducted by Usada since the salbutamol rule was updated in 2011, the organisation did not find "a single athlete" in any sport that exceeded the maximum permitted amount."

From same article

"In response, a Wada spokesperson told BBC Sport: "Wada has publicly set out the reasoning for its position on the case of Mr Froome. Mr Tygart's assessment appears uninformed, is unconstructive, and, quite frankly is surprising given that Usada has itself previously taken the decision to close a salbutamol case where the athlete exceeded the threshold without a controlled pharmacokinetic study being conducted."
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    RichN95 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

You could clearly see from the photos that it was this stuff

Pfefferspray_63ml_TW1000_Jet_Strahl_ml.jpg

British Police use a weak mix of capsicum and accelerant, whereas on the continent they use stronger mixes in some cases over 90% capsicum. Cs is no longer used as so many are immune to its effects or have the mental aptitude to fight through it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bobmcstuff
    neonriver wrote:

From same article

"In response, a Wada spokesperson told BBC Sport: "Wada has publicly set out the reasoning for its position on the case of Mr Froome. Mr Tygart's assessment appears uninformed, is unconstructive, and, quite frankly is surprising given that Usada has itself previously taken the decision to close a salbutamol case where the athlete exceeded the threshold without a controlled pharmacokinetic study being conducted."
    Lol. What was he on about then??
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ah I see, the reports on Dutch news were saying tear gas. #FakeNews
    Correlation is not causation.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Tygart is a garbage composit
    Hunting Lance for personal vendetta , rest of americans can dope away in peace
    Unless they are to retarded and post pics of them blood doping, in which case even Tygart can't save them.
  • bobmcstuff
    https://www.ft.com/content/36dacb58-90b ... 80cedcc421

It's even in the FT :shock:. It must be important.

My favourite quote probably: "Team Sky has become contentious for allowing cyclists to use drugs within the bounds of regulations." as it's mind numbingly stupid.

It even quotes Lance Armstrong on the Move, with swearwords starred out.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    In some ways sky are contentious because a lot of people seem to want their success to be down to money and cheating. When every attempt to condemn them for cheating results in sky and sky team members being cleared, that just leaves the money which other teams have as well. Not enough of a distinction I think. Kind of leaves it to sky are better at doing what they do.

That phrase is stupid. Contentious for doing things right.