World Cup 2018

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Hilarious...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Two groups of people amuse and baffle me

English people perturbed and annoyed that Scottish, Welsh and Irish don't support them/cheer against them

Scottish, Welsh and Irish who get perturbed and annoyed that English people on TV support England.

---

England have done really well in this tournament but when Croatia beat Russia tonight the English wil be the fourth best team of the last four. Doesn't make it impossible to win it, and it helps that the two best teams are in the other semi, but it they want to win it they have to beat two teams better than they are.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Two groups of people amuse and baffle me

English people perturbed and annoyed that Scottish, Welsh and Irish don't support them/cheer against them

Scottish, Welsh and Irish who get perturbed and annoyed that English people on TV support England.

---

England have done really well in this tournament but when Croatia beat Russia tonight the English wil be the fourth best team of the last four. Doesn't make it impossible to win it, and it helps that the two best teams are in the other semi, but it they want to win it they have to beat two teams better than they are.
    Alright TWH, get off the fence
    :D
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Brilliant match after a few missed sitters I though here we go, but no we looked a confident side who deserve to be in the semis.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Croatia look tired
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Croatia have just scored.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So have Russia.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Penalty shoot out with a crock goalie. This will be painful
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    Third best after tonight's display from Russia and Croatia. Whoever wins the penalty shoot out. I fancy our chances against either of them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    PP vs Belgium.

you heard it here first.....
    We must have heard wrong :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Swedes mashed.

Next !

A bit of Russian spice?
    Nope.

And Paul the Octopus is getting turned into fried calamari as we speak :)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I'd seen nothing of Sweden this tournament before today so I wasn't sure whether Ben's disdain for them on here was warranted or if it was tainted because maybe he'd had a bad encounter with a customs official there once whilst travelling. Turns out he was spot on, they were terrible, genuine league one fodder from what I saw especially in the 5mins or so before half time when we should have got a second. I didn't actually feel that tense watching it as the Swedes offered so little.

Croatia were excellent against Argentina but went missing for large periods of the Denmark game so I'm not overly apprehensive about meeting them in the semi. What ever the outcome England's world cup is a success already imo, just pleased to be watching a bunch who seem united as a group and are having the time of their lives.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Decided to go to the pub to watch the game, and it was pretty awesome. Social media has a lot to answer for though, as the accepted thing now when England score is to launch drinks everywhere (not me, I paid for it I’m drinking it)!. Fabulous atmosphere, and my day off work is Thursday so it’s a repeat on Wednesday night!

It’s the first time I can remember England looking secure in the lead, and not giving us many heart stopping moments. Sweden looked terrible, but to be fair England were good enough to keep them looking that way.

I went to the World Cup in Germany in 2006,and spent nearly 3 weeks there with friends following England around . Since then my love of football has dwindled to the point where before this tournament I hadn’t actually heard of a couple of the England players! I’ve watched almost every game of the WC though and am bang into it now, and to think we’re one game away from the final....mental.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Croatia looking knackered there at the end, England still looking in good physical shape after the Sweden match. If Belgium and France go to extra time, England could get to the final in the best condition.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Tonight's game was, technically at least, pretty poor from a footballing neutral's point of view but still reasonably exciting due to the lead changing hands so dramatically. Sorry to see the hosts go out but I think the better team won in the end. Having said that, I think England will dispose of Croatia quite comfortably, especially as they all looked done in by the end of the match. Modric didn't turn up for large parts of the game from what I could see, and he makes them tick. The whole Croatian team seem to want to walk the ball into the net and should have had a pop at goal more often instead of just letting attack after attack fizzle out. If England make it to the final then clearly they are in with a shout but France or Belgium will be a much stiffer test than anything else they've faced so far. You can only play what's in front of you but I don't think England have really been tested yet, the Belgium reserves match was not really an indicator of anything as there was not a great deal riding on it. I think the relatively 'easy' run England have had may just be critical in the end. France / Belgium going to extra time could end up being a factor, too.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'd seen nothing of Sweden this tournament before today so I wasn't sure whether Ben's disdain for them on here was warranted or if it was tainted because maybe he'd had a bad encounter with a customs official there once whilst travelling. Turns out he was spot on, they were terrible, genuine league one fodder from what I saw especially in the 5mins or so before half time when we should have got a second. I didn't actually feel that tense watching it as the Swedes offered so little.

Croatia were excellent against Argentina but went missing for large periods of the Denmark game so I'm not overly apprehensive about meeting them in the semi. What ever the outcome England's world cup is a success already imo, just pleased to be watching a bunch who seem united as a group and are having the time of their lives.

Ha! Vindication! :-)

They're catastrophically one-dimensional, slow at the back and no bite or creation in midfield. I'm stunned they made the quarter-finals.

This England squad is the first one to look like an actual team, since France 1998 when the underrated Hoddle had them playing for each other and actively adapting tactics according to opposition. I hope this is a sign that we won't see another Eriksson diamond or Hodgson adopting Sweden-type tactics for a very long time!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    finchy wrote:
    Croatia looking knackered there at the end, England still looking in good physical shape after the Sweden match. If Belgium and France go to extra time, England could get to the final in the best condition.
    Let's hope its a tough game with extra time on Tuesday.

We have a good chance against Croatia from what I saw last night.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I’m trying not to jinx this but England are developing and improving game by game whereas Croatia seemed to peak against Argentina and have stagnated/gone backwards (delete as applicable) since that game. England certainly seem to have the momentum.

p.s. Do you remember how we all laughed when Greg Dyke said we should be aiming to win the World Cup in 2022? I certainly did, I’m happy though to be proved very very wrong
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    The longer the Engerland squad remain together, the stronger they’ll get. I’d be amazed if Engerland don’t absolutely smash Croatia.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    England now 2nd favourites after France, ahead of Belgium. Croatia trail at 5/1. Nevertheless, for a country with 1/10 popn of England and 1/36 popn of Russia they punch above their weight.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I have to admit that I finally gave up on England after I retired early from work so that I could go to the World Cup in South Africa - unfortunately, I turned up but the team didn’t and I have never managed to get over it and forgive them. However, I must admit that I am now beginning to get a bit of a ‘tingle’ and as luck would have it we are currently in Croatia and will still be here for the semis. That said, part of me is still sticking with my prediction from before the tournament started that the final would be Croatia against either France of Belgium and I’m sticking with it (for now anyway!),
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Robert88 wrote:
    England now 2nd favourites after France, ahead of Belgium. Croatia trail at 5/1. Nevertheless, for a country with 1/10 popn of England and 1/36 popn of Russia they punch above their weight.

out of the 4 i would put England last from what ive seen.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    England are in Russia scoring goals.

The Welsh are in Llandudno playing bowls

The Scottish have gone fishing

The Ulster men are missing.

England are still in Russia scoring goals.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    MM, shurely that Raheem Sterling must have magic motors in his boots, wot wiv being so much faster than everyone else on the pitch. 'Tain't natural. Gotta be mechanical doping. Like wot you witter on about in Pro Race. Just wait, someone will snitch soon. I say it'll be Vardy, taking the hump about not getting on the pitch, with his Injections and all.

in interests of clarity above is not supposed to be serious. Unlike some of the total boxxox being spouted about motors in bikes
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john1967 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

out of the 4 i would put England last from what ive seen.

odds reflect weight of money as much as perceived likelihood of winning.

England probably 4th best team left but if we get through our semi then will be the second best.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Robert88 wrote:
    Odds at UK bookmakers not totally reflective of reality
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Tashman wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pop over to Monaco and put a bet on there. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Pop over to Monaco and put a bet on there. :wink:

MV5BOGExNDVjMTctMjg1NC00YzBhLTg3YmQtOTYwOWIyODg2YmFmL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    You know this 'it's coming home' vibe that has regained currency? What's coming home? Wasn't Jules Rimet French? Jest sayin' like.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    You know this 'it's coming home' vibe that has regained currency? What's coming home? Wasn't Jules Rimet French? Jest sayin' like.
    The possibility of a trophy coming home may be a tricky concept for supporters of provincial teams to grasp :wink: