World Cup 2018

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    orraloon wrote:
    You know this 'it's coming home' vibe that has regained currency? What's coming home? Wasn't Jules Rimet French? Jest sayin' like.

Nerdy fact alert.

It's coming home refers to a football tournament in 96 coming home. Not the trophy.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,362
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    You know this 'it's coming home' vibe that has regained currency? What's coming home? Wasn't Jules Rimet French? Jest sayin' like.

Nerdy fact alert.

It's coming home refers to a football tournament in 96 coming home. Not the trophy.

. . . or, indeed, the game of football coming home to its birthplace
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,962
    71%2B73B2qxlL._SY450_.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,962
    Just need to clear my browsing history now as I don't really want "gnome sex" hiding in my PC somewhere.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    laurentian wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

And the Jules Rimet trophy has been MIA since it was stolen in 1983. The current trophy has the boring name of "The FIFA World Cup Trophy"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,142
    mrfpb wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

And the Jules Rimet trophy has been MIA since it was stolen in 1983. The current trophy has the boring name of "The FIFA World Cup Trophy"

Which is Italian, so never had a hope of going home in this tournament.
  • Pross
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

And so the song has made absolutely no sense any time it has been sung by England supporters ever since. They seem completely unable to grasp that concept.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Who cares? It's a catchy tune and it's coming home.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    And a good video. Especially the bit where the Germans fans line up before the game :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,026
    Pross wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

And so the song has made absolutely no sense any time it has been sung by England supporters ever since. They seem completely unable to grasp that concept.

Makes more sense than any oasis song.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,395
    Pross wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

Vindaloo on the other hand is completely coherent. nah nah, nah nah...
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    And a good video. Especially the bit where the Germans fans line up before the game :)

1505388505968-untitled-article-1463053521.jpeg?crop=1xw%3A1xh%3Bcenter%2Ccenter&resize=650%3A*&output-quality=55

I think the Germans are the black shirts but I could be wrong.

Anyway am looking forward to France versus Holland & France.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The Germans = Nazis never gets old does it?

:rolleyes:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    2 very good teams on show there. If, big if, Ingerlaaand progress vs Croatia, fancy yer chances against either do yer?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    orraloon wrote:
    2 very good teams on show there. If, big if, Ingerlaaand progress vs Croatia, fancy yer chances against either do yer?

At this point I don’t think anybody is worried about who England play should we actually get to the World Cup Final!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,948
    orraloon wrote:

As already stated, care about opposition in the final? Not a bit.

My own personal context...the only game I watched in the entire 2014 WC was England v Uruguay in the group, I was that farked off with the state of the national team. For someone who lived and played football up until my mid-thirties that said a lot. Stupidly I allowed myself to be drawn back in for the last Euro's but came away resolved not to watch again until Rooney was moved out. Thankfully he was otherwise I wouldn't have bothered this summer and now here we are in the semi's. I would have happily taken the quarter finals provided we went out giving a good account of ourselves before it all began so I'll just enjoy the spectacle from here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,853
    Dhr2neUX0AAoU-b.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,853
    2 class teams.
    Woefully underrated the French on my star rating up the page

---

I'm giving England a 60% chance of making the final
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • verylonglegs
    I think that exit will really hurt and get under the skin of the Belgium players for a while, De Bruyne had a real off day, Lukaku hardly saw any of the ball and Chadli...how did Chadli stay on until the 89th minute? It got to the point where everytime the ball got to his feet you knew that attack was about to breakdown. I always felt France would be in the final though, they've certainly earnt their place too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,714
    Pross wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

Who says it refers to the tournament coming home, pretty sure when they wrote it they were aware it could refer to England winning as well as the debatable idea that England is the birthplace of football.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,714
    Thought France looked good, should be strong favourites whoever they play in the final.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    edited July 2018
    France looked good, but by no means unbeatable. England should really test them at set pieces.

EDIT: IF they beat Croatia first of course.
  • verylonglegs
    Pross wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

Nicknames, songs and chants never make sense in a lot sports. Exeter Chiefs in rugby union for example...the crowd dress up in native American headgear and sing the tomahawk chop. It's just one of those things that they do now, what sense does it make? Three lions for the England team makes a shed load more sense in that regard.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    blimey if the lyrics to Three Lions is blowing your mind, dont get all existential on World in Motion will you.

its quite simply the motto/slogan the FA/UEFA used for promoting Euro 96 was "football is coming home" as an idea football was returning to its spiritual home of England.

all Baddiel/Skinner/Lightning Seeds did was incorporate that slogan into their song, as its actually quite a catchy ear worm and easily singalongable even after all day lager consuming. though I dont think it was until the game against Holland in that tournament did it really take off as a terrace chant that took on a life of its own
  • verylonglegs
    finchy wrote:
    France looked good, but by no means unbeatable. England should really test them at set pieces.

Hmmn, hope this still applies in 24hrs time Finchy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

1505388505968-untitled-article-1463053521.jpeg?crop=1xw%3A1xh%3Bcenter%2Ccenter&resize=650%3A*&output-quality=55

I think the Germans are the black shirts but I could be wrong.

Anyway am looking forward to France versus Holland & France.
    Not quite. Watch 3 mins in.
    https://youtu.be/oyoy2_7FegI
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Dhr2neUX0AAoU-b.jpg:large

I recognise de Bruyne but who's the French player?
  • Pross
    awavey wrote:
    blimey if the lyrics to Three Lions is blowing your mind, dont get all existential on World in Motion will you.

its quite simply the motto/slogan the FA/UEFA used for promoting Euro 96 was "football is coming home" as an idea football was returning to its spiritual home of England.

all Baddiel/Skinner/Lightning Seeds did was incorporate that slogan into their song, as its actually quite a catchy ear worm and easily singalongable even after all day lager consuming. though I dont think it was until the game against Holland in that tournament did it really take off as a terrace chant that took on a life of its own

I think you may be taking my objections to the song a bit too literally, I just like winding my English friends up about it whenever I can. World In Motion has the great Barnes rap listing all the skills England didn't possess.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Pross wrote:
    Dinyull wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Nerdy fact alert.

Who says it refers to the tournament coming home, pretty sure when they wrote it they were aware it could refer to England winning as well as the debatable idea that England is the birthplace of football.

Only the peeps that wrote it.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    finchy wrote:

Hmmn, hope this still applies in 24hrs time Finchy.
    No worries, England have a 100% record for winning finals.