Criterium du Dauphine 2018 Spoiler nee chat

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Delete - wrong thread
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ha it's a good job Bahrain is filthy-rich, that €300 won't even by them a new pair of electrodes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    A weeks wages to some primadonna footballer!
    It's less than Geraint Thomas's weekly wage too.

Thomas is paid more than 6.5Million euros a year????? With the rest of the teams wages team sky would need a bigger budget than formula 1. I'm not sure that could be right.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Thomas is paid more than 6.5Million euros a year????? With the rest of the teams wages team sky would need a bigger budget than formula 1. I'm not sure that could be right.
    I was referring to what Sky won, not all the teams.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Thomas is on 1.675m Euros????
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    larkim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Thomas is on 1.675m Euros????
    At least. £2.5m is what I heard (surprised me too)
  • larkim
    Wow! OK, really didn't expect that to be in 7 figures. Maybe I should pay more attention...
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    larkim wrote:
    Wow! OK, really didn't expect that to be in 7 figures. Maybe I should pay more attention...

Not that surprised by it actually. He is a super domestique that leads the team in spring and races like this, gets some good results in the classics and seems to be universally well liked
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Maybe I’m just desperate to relive the late ‘00s, but I’d love it if michelton Scott put the Yates bros together in a Schleck - Schleck double combo minus the turning around and waiting for the other.

Like going into a hold ‘em round with a pair of kings.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,975
    Maybe I’m just desperate to relive the late ‘00s, but I’d love it if michelton Scott put the Yates bros together in a Schleck - Schleck double combo minus the turning around and waiting for the other.

Yeah, but they couldn't sub one in for the other part way through a race then! :D:D
  • larkim
    ShutupJens wrote:
    larkim wrote:

Not that surprised by it actually. He is a super domestique that leads the team in spring and races like this, gets some good results in the classics and seems to be universally well liked
    My expectation was that Froome was on little more than £500k, hence my surprise at Thomas. So my expectations were wrong in the first place, as clearly Froome is on at least £3m from what I've read.

I just didn't expect it to be that lucrative a sport for some reason!
  • RichN95.

I'm the opposite. I want to see them go against each other, and doing it properly, not like the Williams sisters seemingly taking turns to win.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,748
    larkim wrote:

Like you I do find that surprising. Someone told me James Shaw had just got a contract for something like 150 or 200k euros from Lotto Soudal up from 60k he was on before and didn't it mention on Eurosprt Simon Yates was on 1.5m euros so there is decent money to be made it seems. I said to my son he's 10 stone and got good natural endurance he should give it a go !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm the opposite. I want to see them go against each other, and doing it properly, not like the Williams sisters seemingly taking turns to win.

Yeah but you don’t have a chip on your shoulder about how having a double GC threat being a tactical power play when done properly and are desperate to have it proven on the road in a big race.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,748
    On a wet day if their numbers were covered it could cause some confusion which one was attacking.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • larkim
    All it might take would be someone from MTS to shout "Go for it Adam" as Simon launches off the front to generate a little confusion. And for them to swap names when chatting in the peloton. Probably insufficient, tbh, but you never know.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    larkim wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    larkim wrote:

My expectation was that Froome was on little more than £500k, hence my surprise at Thomas. So my expectations were wrong in the first place, as clearly Froome is on at least £3m from what I've read.

I just didn't expect it to be that lucrative a sport for some reason!
    You do know that Greg LeMond had the first million dollar contract and that was over thirty years ago right?

Admittedly it was spread over three years, but still....
  • RichN95.
    Wout van Aert earns a million a year from cyclocross
  • larkim
    TimothyW wrote:
    You do know that Greg LeMond had the first million dollar contract and that was over thirty years ago right?

Admittedly it was spread over three years, but still....

So $333,333 per year, worth then about £196,000, say £200,000. Gross up for UK inflation at 2.68 since 1988 and you're at £536k in todays money. Quite some way from Lemond to Thomas, £536k vs £2.5m!

(I know, too simplistic, different eras etc etc - but interesting nonetheless!)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    I still can't believe Sky didn't go for both Yates bros. Think of the data from identical twins, testing training variations on them with a control! :wink:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    I thought they weren't identical.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,372
    I still can't believe Sky didn't go for both Yates bros. Think of the data from identical twins, testing training variations on them with a control! :wink:

They aren't identical twins.
  • above_the_cows

I have no idea why I wrote that in the past tense unless my spidey sense is trying to tell me one or both of them has died.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,372

I have no idea why I wrote that in the past tense unless my spidey sense is trying to tell me one or both of them has died.

Or they maybe have become identical.
  • above_the_cows

Or they maybe have become identical.

Or maybe they also have identical twins that died and are still a little zygote somewhere in their bodies?

No that would be ridiculous, you would never hear of such a thing in cycling.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    They're bloody identical to me. At least I understand why Brailsford didn't choose them for his sinister cycling eugenics research then
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,958

It did occur to me on listening to the 'Brailsford takes all the credit' podcast- maybe they have extensive data on Simon Yates (and Adam) already via British Cycling.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    maybe there are 4 of them . 2 sets of identical twins .
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    tim000 wrote:
    maybe there are 4 of them . 2 sets of identical twins .

Devious bastards. "Of course we're not substituting for each other, you can tell us apart"....Adam swaps with Adam Mk2 and Simon swaps with Simon Mk2....
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    reborn2 wrote:
    G had a little word in the shell like of an AG2R rider about drilling it when he had a puncture it looked like...
    First puncture...maybe.

Second puncture...naa, buy better tyres

They were already going when the puncture happened, race was on.

They've been talking about this a lot in the French press. Apparently Geraint had a dingdong with Bardet at the end of the race but Bardet and the AG2R management said they neither accelerated nor slowed and they are not going to stop for every puncture like a Sunday club run (funny we never stopped for punctures on our club runs, that was normally the signal to attack :-) )
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme