Criterium du Dauphine 2018 Spoiler nee chat

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    Nibali just crossed the line. Riding like he's done an "old school" Dauphine ;-)

Just joking peeps,
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Nibali just crossed the line. Riding like he's done an "old school" Dauphine ;-)

Just joking peeps,

I managed to chop a whole watermelon in the time between Black Socks' win and Nibali crossing the line.

This shall be a new measurement of time, to go with Jumbos, Wales or are the Orcas(?) and Thomas' crashes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Tao!

Look how skinny he is?

Give the boy some pizza.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    It’s nice to see Contador’s teeth are still racing in his pal Navarro’s mouth.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    OCDuPalais wrote:

:lol:
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

:lol:

....and a bit of that spirit
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,734
    davidof wrote:
    So if Froome is banned from the Tour will Geraint have it in him to get on the podium?

Wouldn't have thought so. He struggled a bit today and the tour is three times longer.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    TheBigBean wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    So if Froome is banned from the Tour will Geraint have it in him to get on the podium?

Wouldn't have thought so. He struggled a bit today and the tour is three times longer.

I wouldn't say he struggled, really. He kept calm knowing he had a minute and a half to give. He gave 30" of them away to riders he'd dropped the day before and who he can comfortably outclass on a TT. He'd had to fight back from AG2R drilling it when he had a puncture, so a couple of matches already burned.

Not that I'm convinced he can win a GT, but I think a podium is definitely possible.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,175
    The Tour route suits him. There's opportunities to get 'unusual' time gains in the TTT and cobbled stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Tour route suits him. There's opportunities to get 'unusual' time gains in the TTT and cobbled stage.
    This. And with the grid start stage it suits sky to have a couple of other riders in the top ten.

I wouldn't lay much money on it, but I'd say this is as good a chance as ever for him to get on the podium.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Prize money

tumblr_pa4cnhcW4L1ropreyo1_1280.png
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,448
    A weeks wages to some primadonna footballer!
  • RichN95.
    It's less than Geraint Thomas's weekly wage too.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766

And many a primadonna pro cyclist ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    A weeks wages to a bog standard premier league footballer!
    FTFY.
    And some cyclists, obviously. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    What are Movistar going to do with their €1000?
  • pblakeney
    What are Movistar going to do with their €1000?
    Fill the bus tank.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Which one? They have two buses (and two lorries and eight cars).
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,473
    PBlakeney wrote:
    A weeks wages to a bog standard premier league footballer!
    FTFY.
    And some cyclists, obviously. :wink:

I read last year that within a couple of years of the new tv deal coming in a bog standard player at a mid table premier league team will be on 100k per week.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    Prize money

tumblr_pa4cnhcW4L1ropreyo1_1280.png

The inequalities of cycling in microcosm, the riders on teams who don't need the money take the lions share, whilst the riders on team who do need the money get enough for a café au lait.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    A question - how did Impey who finished 12th, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 94th, 69th and 67th on the stages, win the points jersey ahead of Dan Martin (73, 32, 44, 20, 2, 1, 3 and 6) and Thomas (43, 43, 24, 1, 3, 2, 2 and 5)?

I know the points jersey is often weighted towards the flatter stages to reward the sprinters, but the weighting at this Dauphine must've been off the scale.
  • RichN95.
    It reminds me of Gregory Rast's breakdown of the Milan-San Remo prize money (he'd helped Cancellara to second place)

B-dQ4iLCAAA5vcZ.jpg
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    A question - how did Impey who finished 12th, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 94th, 69th and 67th on the stages, win the points jersey ahead of Dan Martin (73, 32, 44, 20, 2, 1, 3 and 6) and Thomas (43, 43, 24, 1, 3, 2, 2 and 5)?

I know the points jersey is often weighted towards the flatter stages to reward the sprinters, but the weighting at this Dauphine must've been off the scale.
    The weighting is a bit off. 5th place in a flat stage gets more points than a mountain win (and the TTT has no points)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    andyp wrote:
    The inequalities of cycling in microcosm, the riders on teams who don't need the money take the lions share, whilst the riders on team who do need the money get enough for a café au lait.
    Well, true - but what would you suggest? Give the biggest prizes to the riders who finish last?
  • pblakeney
    bompington wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Well, true - but what would you suggest? Give the biggest prizes to the riders who finish last?
    Tighten up the prize money from second to last giving the lesser teams reason to participate.
    Jersey winners and stage winners keep the differential to encourage racing.*

*It may well already be that for all I know.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Tighten up the prize money from second to last giving the lesser teams reason to participate.
    Jersey winners and stage winners keep the differential to encourage racing.*

*It may well already be that for all I know.
    The teams also get paid an appearance fee (which often just covers expenses). Ultimately this is just a bonus on top of their salary.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    andyp wrote:

if you think that is inequal you should see what most womens races prize money looks like. the majority wont get enough from a whole multi stage race, to pay for one nights accomodation for them, and they arent on wages
  • RichN95.
    awavey wrote:
    andyp wrote:

if you think that is inequal you should see what most womens races prize money looks like. the majority wont get enough from a whole multi stage race, to pay for one nights accomodation for them, and they arent on wages
    Having equal prize money is an easy win for most race organisers. I don't imagine the men would be all that bothered by a cut in their own prizes. (Although demanding it wouldn't help them get more races)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    edited June 2018
    Yeesh that was so harsh on Navarro!

Gee throwing shade at Warren... :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Yeesh that was so harsh on Navarro!
    The poor bloke has only ever won four races (surprising for someone of his abilities). I going to predict something big for him at the Tour.