Criterium du Dauphine 2018 Spoiler nee chat

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Bilbao Bagswin
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    Brilliant ride from Thomas. He's looking really good. He's not just been hanging in with the climbers and limiting losses, he's been capably taking them on head to head.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Thomas' black shoes, black socks combo makes him look like this:

Sea-Lion-Floating-IMG_2169.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    1'29" to Yates in 2nd, 2 minutes to Bardet in 3rd
  • RichN95.
    GC

Thomas
    Yates +1.29
    Bardet +2.01
  • RichN95.
    Bilbao speaks very good English. Unusual for a Spanish speaking rider.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Everyone's waiting for a Martin attack, I reckon Thomas might just mug them all

BOOM!
    SONIC BOOM :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yates group catch Martin/Buchmann

Didn't Martin Buchmann play for Man Utd in the 70s?
    Martin Buchan . think he was captain in the mid 70s
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,917
    Brilliant ride from Thomas. He's looking really good. He's not just been hanging in with the climbers and limiting losses, he's been capably taking them on head to head.

He's looking really skinny, very similar to Wiggins in 2012.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    I don't think Zubeldia ever made the mistake of winning a WT stage (except a TTT). Going to make it more difficult for Bilbao to do the ghost rides now.

Interestingly Zub's best wt placings were in this race I think - young rider twice, plus an overall second and 4th overall.
  • RichN95.
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I don't think Zubeldia ever made the mistake of winning a WT stage (except a TTT). Going to make it more difficult for Bilbao to do the ghost rides now.

Interestingly Zub's best wt placings were in this race I think - young rider twice, plus an overall second and 4th overall.
    In retrospect, Bilbao was never the Zubeldia of the Giro. Just being identified as such means you're been noticed. Patrik Konrad was the real Zubeldia.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Remind me why I chose to stay in Plymouth and not do another summer season out there?

:cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Caruso seems to have taken up that particular role for now.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851

His sprint at the end seemed a bit 'Yatsey'...lots of show for just a couple of seconds gain.
    Half man, Half bike
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    2sec became 6sec though with the guaranteed bonifications. Worth it just to show you can too.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Early start again this morning and no live coverage
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ridgerider wrote:

His sprint at the end seemed a bit 'Yatsey'...lots of show for just a couple of seconds gain.

Yes, it was, though we should remember that Yates rode into pink and after the TT was most people's favourite to win the Giro. With Yates it's his prime weapon, with Thomas it's something he's added to a strong rouleur & TT base. I think most of us would have imagined that if Thomas won the Dauphine it would be Dumoulin style - take loads of time in the TT (done) and then take it steady on the climbs. I really didn't expect to see him jumping on wheels when attacks went, less still holding them and then mugging off the climbers in the last 100m or so.

Whether it was worth it or not is debatable, though as pointed out above there were bonifications on offer, and 10-15 seconds - which could also have gone the other way - will be fairly handy going into the last stage.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    poppit wrote:
    Early start again this morning and no live coverage

Danish TV2 and Danish Eurosport 2 with live coverage from 13:35 (CEST) - 12:35 in the UK, so quite possibly a stream available somewhere. The broadcast is there, it's just not being transmitted on Eurosport UK.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Interesting stories about G being joint leader for the Tour. Sky sandbagging or genuinely concerned about Froome post Giro fatigue/inhalergate decision?

His form certainly looks good at the moment, Nibs looks a bit sub-par*

* although the extra week does need to be thrown into the equation
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Interesting stories about G being joint leader for the Tour. Sky sandbagging or genuinely concerned about Froome post Giro fatigue/inhalergate decision?

His form certainly looks good at the moment, Nibs looks a bit sub-par*

* although the extra week does need to be thrown into the equation

Well they clearly needed a plan B in case the salbutamol decision came in against Froome before the start, and it would be a shame to waste what's been good prep by Thomas. Chuck in the risk that the Giro-Tour double is a step too far and joint leadership - at least in the early part of the race - is a pretty obvious step. The risk is that with a rider less this season and one being heavily protected early on the pressure on the team is too much too early and they fade in the third week. It's also risky that if both Thomas and Froome are well placed going into the third week they'll need to make a decision on who gets backed, even though that third week is where the Giro-Tour double will start to be really felt.
  • 6 away including Rolland who I forgot to say yesterday has that way of getting into the top ten under the radar

Gaudu and Navarro also in there - and Alaphillipe!

1'20
  • 1 40 over the Roselend - that can be a bleak place on a cold day!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited June 2018
    6 away including Rolland who I forgot to say yesterday has that way of getting into the top ten under the radar

1'20

Pretty strong break, Rolland is the highest placed at 4 minutes back. They've got 2'15" at the mo.
    Might force FDJ to work to protect Bardet and Michelton-Scott for Yates.

P. Rolland 151 EFD + 04' 00''
    A. Tolhoek 181 TLJ + 04' 50''
    D. Navarro 84 COF + 04' 52''
    J. Alaphilippe 101 QST + 08' 29''
    E. Ravasi 16 UAD + 19' 25''
    D. Gaudu 111 GFC + 48' 07''
  • 6 away including Rolland who I forgot to say yesterday has that way of getting into the top ten under the radar

1'20

Pretty strong break, Rolland is the highest placed at 4 minutes back. They've got 2'15" at the mo.

P. Rolland
    EFD
    + 04' 00''
    A. Tolhoek
    TLJ
    + 04' 50''
    D. Navarro
    COF
    + 04' 52''
    J. Alaphilippe
    QST
    + 08' 29''
    E. Ravasi
    UAD
    + 19' 25''
    D. Gaudu
    GFC
    + 48' 07''

Nice mix of GC improvers and stage hopefuls
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • RichN95.
    You’re getting your French teams mixed up
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    You’re getting your French teams mixed up

Dammit, I'm always doing that.

Mind you, I still get confused that Rolland *isn't* on a French team.
  • Gaudu was confirmed as first to summit of the Cormet de Roselend. He suffered a nasty hand injury that needed 9 stitches early in the race but fought the pain in the hope of a day out front like today. cyclingnew.com

Bloody marvellous
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited June 2018
    Break out to 3'15" on Col des Saisies. That's all change on the lower steps of the virtual podium
  • 3 mins with 50 km to go and a cat 1 climb - interesting ....