Criterium du Dauphine 2018 Spoiler nee chat

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    RichN95 wrote:
    with Bardet looking this weak, who will be the great french hope?
    Gaudu is the next one. Well, it was Latour, but I think he may have been discarded.

Can I say that I think that Bardet as a big race contender is a bit overrated. He's in his seventh pro season now and the only stage race he's won is the Tour de L'Ain in 2013. By contrast Thomas has six stage race wins to his name.
    How many GC wins did Thomas have in his first 7 years as a pro?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,175
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gaudu is the next one. Well, it was Latour, but I think he may have been discarded.

Can I say that I think that Bardet as a big race contender is a bit overrated. He's in his seventh pro season now and the only stage race he's won is the Tour de L'Ain in 2013. By contrast Thomas has six stage race wins to his name.
    Just the one. But he hadn't really been trying to.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    RichN95 wrote:
    OK, we have a different definition of contender.
    I don't think he's not a contender, it's just I don't see him winning against top competition. 3rd-6th is his natural habitat.

But look at him - how can you not fall in love a little bit?

Especially with his descending. Paints beautiful lines.

https://youtu.be/Slpy6RMtBwc?t=52s

WARNING: Carlton Kirby commentary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,102
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Just the one. But he hadn't really been trying to.
    Bardet has only been really trying to win one race and he's managed a second and a third. Thomas has won nothing that anyone actually cares about and that will include this particular edition of the Dauphine.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,212
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Bardet has only been really trying to win one race and he's managed a second and a third.

Maybe that's part of the problem, he isn't in the habit of winning. He should be riding races like the Dauphine to win. If - as team leader - he isn't riding to win he'd be better off staying at home and training. What if he does take the yellow jersey in the Tour? What experience of leading a race will he have to draw on?
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Bardet has only been really trying to win one race and he's managed a second and a third. Thomas has won nothing that anyone actually cares about and that will include this particular edition of the Dauphine.
    I'm not really promoting Thomas as a contender either, it was just a topical comparison.

But Bardet is almost unique amongst the top 15 riders in the betting as having never won a World Tour or HC level stage race (almost, because there's Uran as well)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I'm not really promoting Thomas as a contender either, it was just a topical comparison.

But Bardet is almost unique amongst the top 15 riders in the betting as having never won a World Tour or HC level stage race (almost, because there's Uran as well)

I'd really like to see Thomas contest a GT as leader (and not crash/get taken out by a moto). I'm interested to see what he might be capable of. Of course half of me wants to see him fail miserably in doing so and return to the classics (though not out of any spite for him, just because I want him to be riding classics).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    Not WaWa :(

Barguil was 30th in the Dauphine last year, he's currently 27th on GC.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Gotta say that the head moves before the rest of the body.
    Right jab? If so, good man!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Are we going to have to analyse this like the Zapruder film to see what actually happened?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    Doesn't Panda man just run into the motorbike?
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    That's what the Warren Barguil Commission wants you to believe
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    RichN95 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Are we going to have to analyse this like the Zapruder film to see what actually happened?
    I didn't look at the knoll. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyp wrote:

I think moto man swerves into panda, tbh.

Whatever, Dan Martin and pandas go pretty well together. Even when the panda takes a tumble.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,351
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Hat
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Hat

Oh I say.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Just watching the highlights. Fair play to Sky for tucking the yellow jersey at the back of the train rather than emphasising that they expected him to lose it - gave him every chance.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    andyp wrote:

I think moto man swerves into panda, tbh.

Whatever, Dan Martin and pandas go pretty well together. Even when the panda takes a tumble.

You beat Gary Imlach to the joke on itv4 highlights
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    DfK3AKsWAAAl6yA.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2018
    A warning that this isn't live on Eurosport today. The stage will finish around 1.45 UK time and to watch it live you'll have to find a French (or other) stream, starting at 12.30 UK time (although I'm not even sure that's live). Eurosport have a delayed transmission at 2pm

85km to go. 25 riders up the road with 1.30 lead. Conti the best on GC at 4.42
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    Just watching the highlights. Fair play to Sky for tucking the yellow jersey at the back of the train rather than emphasising that they expected him to lose it - gave him every chance.
    isnt it normal for a team mate to sit behind the leader to protect him.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    tim000 wrote:
    isnt it normal for a team mate to sit behind the leader to protect him.

Yes.
    I suppose there are three levels:
    Others will work for you
    You won't be expected to do any work, but can't ask for work from others
    You will work for others

My guess is that Moscon was pretty much in the middle level, maybe with a touch of help
  • RichN95.
    French TV about to go live.

Group of 10 at the front: Pello Bilbao and Dario Cataldo (Astana), Valerio Conti (UAE Team Emirates), Hector Carretero (Movistar), Rudy Molard (Groupama-FDJ), Ian Boswell (Katusha-Alpecin), Robert Power (Mitchelton-Scott), Warren Barguil (Fortuneo-Samsic), Serge Pauwels (Dimension Data) and Tsgabu Grmay (Trek-Segafredo).

AG2R leading the peloton and dropping lots of riders. About 55km to go.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,666
    Nibbles, Jungels and Moscon have been dropped, according to the ticker
  • RichN95.
    Only 16 riders left in the peloton. Thomas only has TGH. Still waiting for French TV
  • RichN95.
    The peloton: Domont , Latour, Bardet, Geoghegan Hart, Thomas, Dan Martin, Buchmann, Zakarin, Soler, Adam Yates, Alaphilippe, Tolhoek, Bookwalter and Caruso, Navarro, Ravasi.
  • RichN95.
    Jungels, Rolland and Castroviejo get back to the peloton
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,666
    Is Tolhoek the one who was involved in the PED thing in the off season? The weird case with 2 neo pros and (Spanish, IIRC) veteran where the vet was fired but the 2 younger riders were let off?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Looks like it'll be on Eurosport player at 12:45