Giro 2018: stage 9, PESCO SANNITA - GRAN SASSO D'ITALIA (Campo Imperatore) 13 May 2018 / Sunday / 22

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    iainf72 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    Was it Kirby going on about Sky having pulled a masterclass simply because Froome looked calm and was keeping with the main GC contenders early in the climb?

He kept bleating on about Kiri doing such a fantastic job and how he was nearly spent. All the while Astana were setting the pace.

The man is insane.

He went on and on about Kiri's imaginary twitching bicep, while at the same time missing the slow motion replay of a Katusha rider almost wiping out an Androni.
    I would have him on permanent mute, where it not for the fact that Europsort keep giving him the lion's share of each stage.
    But it's his commentary of the stage finales that is destroying my enjoyment of this Giro.
    Bottom line is that Eurosport carries the blame.
    They display apathy towards cycling fans globally, by indulging someone with such ineptitude.
    He is an imbecile but you would be really surprised how many people think he is great. I often have a moan on twitter about him along with a few others and you often find the split is 50/50. Can't for a second imagine how any could think him good but they do.
    Casual fans find enthusiasm entertaining. For a while.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    I found calling the race yourself helps a lot.

Mute, commentate. You pay more attention.
    Not sure sitting in silence shouting at a TV is the way to go. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    inseine wrote:
    Yates seems like the real deal. A good climber with an almost unique turn of speed at the end, quite a good TTer and is even a good one day rider so doesn't get freaked on the gnarlier flat days. I also learnt that he likes a good curry. What's not to like?

Nothing... could be the first (road) British rider I actually enjoy watching...
    It also seems that the English speaking media have a rider that they can believe in, to whom they don't have to ask hard questions. Unlike the Sky riders he's not a track champion turned GC rider with TUEs or asthma med positives
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    M.R.M. wrote:

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    RichN95 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Yates seems like the real deal. A good climber with an almost unique turn of speed at the end, quite a good TTer and is even a good one day rider so doesn't get freaked on the gnarlier flat days. I also learnt that he likes a good curry. What's not to like?

Nothing... could be the first (road) British rider I actually enjoy watching...
    It also seems that the English speaking media have a rider that they can believe in, to whom they don't have to ask hard questions. Unlike the Sky riders he's not a track champion turned GC rider with TUEs or asthma med positives

He’s a more likeable guy who looks decent on a bike.

He also has youth on his side.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,199
    RichN95 wrote:

Errr, what about the 4 month ban for a missing TUE for asthma medication?

And you know he was the 2013 points race world champion yes? :lol:
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Errr, sarcasm.

Early in the season some of the media were asking anyone they could get hold of about the morality of TUEs and asthma drugs, yet they don't seem to be interested any more now that the only rider known to have a permanent TUE is winning.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Errr, sarcasm.

Early in the season some of the media were asking anyone they could get hold of about the morality of TUEs and asthma drugs, yet they don't seem to be interested any more now that the only rider known to have a permanent TUE is winning.

There are no double standards there Rich. One is for a rider who needs it, and doesnt have a history of hiding things and the other is the rash of questionable tues and jiffy bags of someone who has benifited from missing evidence and doctors too poorly to testify.

Lets please not taint yates performance until theres something to taint it with.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Unless they get Simon or Adam tattooed on their foreheads there will always be suspicion...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,645
    M.R.M. wrote:

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

I tried that but found you lose the background noise that gives the race atmosphere. The commentary free feeds Eurosport do seem like a great compromise, I must get myself Eurosport Player.
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Errr, sarcasm.

There are no double standards there Rich. One is for a rider who needs it, and doesnt have a history of hiding things and the other is the rash of questionable tues and jiffy bags of someone who has benifited from missing evidence and doctors too poorly to testify.

Lets please not taint yates performance until theres something to taint it with.

oh give it up, you can't be on a crusade of anti doping then give Yates a free pass
  • r0bh
    RichN95 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Errr, sarcasm.

Mea culpa, sarcasm missed through my bleary morning eyes.

I'm still amazed (although I know I shouldn't be) by the free pass given to Orica over the Yates TUE debacle.
  • r0bh

Post of the year! You could write a PhD thesis on cognitive dissonance based on this post alone :lol::lol:
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:

I'm still amazed (although I know I shouldn't be) by the free pass given to Orica over the Yates TUE debacle.
    Matt White learned from Jon Vaughters to blow smoke up journalists' arses and be really chummy with them.
  • Vino'sGhost
    r0bh wrote:

Post of the year! You could write a PhD thesis on cognitive dissonance based on this post alone :lol::lol:

sky/ wiggins fan right?
  • topper_harley
    sky/ wiggins hater right?

Free pass given
  • Vino'sGhost

Free pass given

i dislike, wiggins what of it? it doesnt mean im not open minded about things.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,828
    I see this thread has moved on from Kirby castrating to hair splitting.

Vino is right: The doctor did it excuse is very weak sauce....................................oh, wait. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,297
    He's commentating at the finish, right? So he should know where the finish is? So he shouldn't say that someone is about to win when there's 300m left to go?
  • topper_harley

Free pass given

i dislike, wiggins what of it? it doesnt mean im not open minded about things.
    nothing, be fair, attack others in the sport the way you have with Wiggins
  • RichN95.
    Kirby used to be able to get away with under performing but now there's a far superior commentator right there working with him for Eurosport, so frustration for the viewer is inevitable. I think Kirby's selling point to Eurosport now is that, unlike Hatch, no-one else hires him so he's always available.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,828
    Salvation is at hand.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/get ... lton-kirby

Just reading the comments below from the past couple of days is reassuring. A few brought a smile to my face.
    We are not alone. Not by a long chalk.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    He's commentating at the finish, right? So he should know where the finish is? So he shouldn't say that someone is about to win when there's 300m left to go?

He then managed to see Froome crossing the line at 26 seconds dressed in Dimension Data kit too.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    r0bh wrote:

Free pass? Unless I'm out of the loop isn't it generally accepted it was an admin error ? OK admin errors shouldn't happen but I'm not sure it's much of a story.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • r0bh
    r0bh wrote:

Free pass? Unless I'm out of the loop isn't it generally accepted it was an admin error ? OK admin errors shouldn't happen but I'm not sure it's much of a story.

You don't feel even slightly concerned about a team's medical staff treating the TUE process so cavalierly? Especially in the current climate of suspicion about TUEs?
  • Vino'sGhost
    r0bh wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

You don't feel even slightly concerned about a team's medical staff treating the TUE process so cavalierly? Especially in the current climate of suspicion about TUEs?

I'm sure everyone was very concerned about how an oversight like that could have happened and it doesnt take too much of an insight to imagine that all was not happy in the camp.

I might not believe it if there was loads of other cheating noise around him but there isnt.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,297
    I'm sure everyone was very concerned about how an oversight like that could have happened and it doesnt take too much of an insight to imagine that all was not happy in the camp.

I might not believe it if there was loads of other cheating noise around him but there isnt.

I'm surprised you don't keep an eye on Antoine Vayer - now that Yates is good, it is "Not Normal". And his association with Matt White is another problem.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    r0bh wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

I don't know they were treating the process cavalierly, only that their processes weren't effective in catching this what appears to be a human error on the part of one of their staff.

I think "free pass" "debacle" and "cavalier" is a the kind of language a tabloid with an axe to grind might use but probably doesn't reflect the mundane nature of what happened.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    The problem deV is that for Orica Scott (at the time) it's an unfortunate admin error, however one might imagine that if Sky had made the same mistake the reaction from the cycle-twitterati would not be quite so lenient...

Froome is potentially about to lose a GT, and a reputation for alleged abuse of the same drug.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    The problem deV is that for Orica Scott (at the time) it's an unfortunate admin error, however one might imagine that if Sky had made the same mistake the reaction from the cycle-twitterati would not be quite so lenient...

Froome is potentially about to lose a GT, and a reputation for alleged abuse of the same drug.
    Different drug. Yates needs a TUE for his.