Giro 2018: stage 9, PESCO SANNITA - GRAN SASSO D'ITALIA (Campo Imperatore) 13 May 2018 / Sunday / 22

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Milton50 wrote:
    I must admit, when Yates won on Etna I could see he was on great form but didn't quite believe that he was a genuine contender. But now he looks like the real deal.

That third week is brutal though. You have one off day and can lose 2 minutes.
    Or have an out of date TUE...
    Half man, Half bike
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    why in the name of all that is good does that commentator have to keep adding Y or ie to the name of people Yatsey matty white FFS

I dont normally mind the Eurosport coverage but that is just pathetic. Like when idiots say "can i get a " when ordering something.

You've clearly never watched an episode of Backstage Pass on YouTube then. It's part of the team.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    inseine wrote:
    Yates seems like the real deal. A good climber with an almost unique turn of speed at the end, quite a good TTer and is even a good one day rider so doesn't get freaked on the gnarlier flat days. I also learnt that he likes a good curry. What's not to like?

Nothing... could be the first (road) British rider I actually enjoy watching...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    inseine wrote:
    Yates seems like the real deal. A good climber with an almost unique turn of speed at the end, quite a good TTer and is even a good one day rider so doesn't get freaked on the gnarlier flat days. I also learnt that he likes a good curry. What's not to like?

He interviews and comes across well too.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!
  • Vino'sGhost
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!

hes coming in for week three and we wont notice :lol::lol::lol:
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!

It's called monozygotic doping!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!

Tyler Hamilton will. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Vino'sGhost
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!

Tyler Hamilton will. :wink:

Hahahah :)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!

they take turns each day :D
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    why in the name of all that is good does that commentator have to keep adding Y or ie to the name of people Yatsey matty white FFS

I dont normally mind the Eurosport coverage but that is just pathetic. Like when idiots say "can i get a " when ordering something.

That's an Australian thing that also seems to happen in English football.
  • Vino'sGhost
    nickice wrote:

That's an Australian thing that also seems to happen in English football.

No wonder they’re not the sporting nation they were. :)
  • Vino'sGhost
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!

they take turns each day :D

:)
  • Vino'sGhost

You've clearly never watched an episode of Backstage Pass on YouTube then. It's part of the team.

But the commentator is not a member of the team. Humph
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

I completely agree. It is pathetic. The commentary is bad enough when it is completely mis-reading what's unfolding in the race and constantly packed with faux-excitement without chucking in crap nicknames as well.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    GettyImages-958048248.jpg
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Pic of Yates from his post stage interview (only makes sense if you saw the post race interview).

https://karlails.files.wordpress.com/20 ... -w1280.jpg
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

What about Adam? !!

Series of reasonable posts and humour. Has some hacked vino’s account?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    yeah yates bluffed that
    I didn't see any bluffing, just good racing. When he sat on Dumoulin's wheel it was to save himself and try to make Tom close the gap. Of course Kirby assumed this was because Yates didn't have the legs, but that is because, despite commentating on bike racing for years, he is still completely clueless.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Dennis beat Froome today.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Was it Kirby going on about Sky having pulled a masterclass simply because Froome looked calm and was keeping with the main GC contenders early in the climb?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    thegibdog wrote:
    yeah yates bluffed that
    I didn't see any bluffing, just good racing. When he sat on Dumoulin's wheel it was to save himself and try to make Tom close the gap. Of course Kirby assumed this was because Yates didn't have the legs, but that is because, despite commentating on bike racing for years, he is still completely clueless.

Even more 'of course' - Kirby stated this just as Yates effortlessly jumped across. Yates looked very, very cool in that finale.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dstev55 wrote:
    Was it Kirby going on about Sky having pulled a masterclass simply because Froome looked calm and was keeping with the main GC contenders early in the climb?

He kept bleating on about Kiri doing such a fantastic job and how he was nearly spent. All the while Astana were setting the pace.

The man is insane.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    iainf72 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

He kept bleating on about Kiri doing such a fantastic job and how he was nearly spent. All the while Astana were setting the pace.

The man is insane.

He went on and on about Kiri's imaginary twitching bicep, while at the same time missing the slow motion replay of a Katusha rider almost wiping out an Androni.
    I would have him on permanent mute, where it not for the fact that Europsort keep giving him the lion's share of each stage.
    But it's his commentary of the stage finales that is destroying my enjoyment of this Giro.
    Bottom line is that Eurosport carries the blame.
    They display apathy towards cycling fans globally, by indulging someone with such ineptitude.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    iainf72 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

The man is insane.

He went on and on about Kiri's imaginary twitching bicep, while at the same time missing the slow motion replay of a Katusha rider almost wiping out an Androni.
    I would have him on permanent mute, where it not for the fact that Europsort keep giving him the lion's share of each stage.
    But it's his commentary of the stage finales that is destroying my enjoyment of this Giro.
    They display apathy towards cycling fans globally, by indulging someone with such ineptitude.
    He is an imbecile but you would be really surprised how many people think he is great. I often have a moan on twitter about him along with a few others and you often find the split is 50/50. Can't for a second imagine how any could think him good but they do.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    dstev55 wrote:

Yep, and he had that rooted in how he'd observed Froome's expression when he crossed the line yesterday. He was banging on about it a few times, how he were going to see him do something. Completely mis-reading the situation based on intuition that proves to be complete bôllocks. It was obvious it was a dismissible hunch and nothing more.

The last 3k must have had at least 10 moments where he'd be jumping up and down like it's the winning move and anyone who watches cycling just waits another ten seconds and see's he's overreacting again cos it's not even a proper move half the time, let alone coming to anything.

He's not just useless at it, he ruins it, he's a pr1ck who can't read a race and no amount of faux-enthusiasm will cover that up for anyone who's used to watching cycling.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,646
    I found calling the race yourself helps a lot.

Mute, commentate. You pay more attention.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    iainf72 wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

The man is insane.

He is an imbecile but you would be really surprised how many people think he is great. I often have a moan on twitter about him along with a few others and you often find the split is 50/50. Can't for a second imagine how any could think him good but they do.

among cycling fans 50/50 ?

look I dont mind his brand of irreverance at certain parts of a stage, when its becoming quite dull and they are just it seems ticking the kms off, he is good at filling those gaps.

but Im having to mute the stage finishes he calls now, because he is so freaking annoying, and not just that inspite of the amount of time he has spent calling these things, he is still completely hopeless at recognising the key parts of whats happening, but the hyperactivity intensity & volume increases from nearly 2kms out, which on a mountain finish could be near 5mins of continous shouting.

reminds me of a thing I remember Mike Selvey saying last year about how on the radio commentators thesedays are expected to treat each bowlers delivery as the epoch defining event of the match now, which is why alot of newer commentars are increasingly unlistenable to as they are going increasingly loud and excitable other dot balls. and I think Kirby is doing the samething, or been asked to do the samething by Eurosports producers, and so treats every twitch from a rider as their epoch defining move in the race, which invariably it isnt
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2018
    Regarding sports commentary, Benaud’s eight rules should apply

benaud2.jpg

I think Carlton adheres to rule 8
    Twitter: @RichN95