Interview clothing

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Nah, double breasted just looks better. Get them tailor made.

revelations-about-a-young-jacob-rees-mogg-make-the-grown-up-jacob-rees-mogg-make-sense-1200x800.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress

There we have it. Rees-Mogg shops at Jacamo.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    The only 'rule' I would agree with from this thread so far is "black shoes (defo not brown) with a suit". The rest of it - as long as it's coordinated, fits and well looked after then wear what you want.

Be careful with off-the-peg suits though, if you're anything other than 'average' build otherwise you risk looking like a Herbert.

Don't be a Square Mile robot.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I've had a few suits tailor made in my youth but unless you have particular tastes it's a bit of an unnecessary extravagance. Sure have the arm length adjusted and if necessary get it taken in but good tailors aren't cheap and unless you are buying end of roll from a mill (can you even do that now) 3.5 yards of decent cloth isn't cheap either.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    I've had a few suits tailor made in my youth but unless you have particular tastes it's a bit of an unnecessary extravagance. Sure have the arm length adjusted and if necessary get it taken in but good tailors aren't cheap and unless you are buying end of roll from a mill (can you even do that now) 3.5 yards of decent cloth isn't cheap either.

You can have curtains custom made in China, I see. Why not suits?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Robert88 wrote:

The daughter in law ordered her wedding dress from China and had it tailored at home. Total cost was less than £300 and it was absolutely stunning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

The daughter in law ordered her wedding dress from China and had it tailored at home. Total cost was less than £300 and it was absolutely stunning.

She was probably lucky
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    FatTed wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

She was probably lucky

MF is wondering why you would say this. O are you one of those people who doubts everything that is made further east than Ipswich?

No reason at all why the quality shouldn't be as good - where do you think 90% of clothes are actually made?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I know someone who did the same.

Bought 3 online at about 300 each. Had the favourite tailored to her. Sold the unworn 2 for 500 each.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,562
    My sister and brother in law get clothes tailor made by a place in Thailand. They first did it while on holiday there but can now just email the measurements. There's a decent shop in Cardiff that will alter their off the leg stuff free though so I can get a very well fitting suit for the price of a typical Next or M&S version. I very rarely wear a suit but I do like one as long it fits well, I'd have them tailor made or bespoke if I could afford it.
  • Matthewfalle
    mF has just put his pre interview chat clothes on and realised that last time he wore his shoes he had to cut the laces off as they got all tangled up and now he has had to cobble (literally) the same said so that his shoes don't fall off.

Just for the record: slim fitted shirt, cuff links, chinos and a pair of brown brogue hand made chukka boots with brown belt. He feels like a turkey.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    mF has just put his pre interview chat clothes on and realised that last time he wore his shoes he had to cut the laces off as they got all tangled up and now he has had to cobble (literally) the same said so that his shoes don't fall off.

Just for the record: slim fitted shirt, cuff links, chinos and a pair of brown brogue hand made chukka boots with brown belt. He feels like a turkey.
    I'm not sure I understand the general objection to brown shoes. Green or blue would be bad. Suede also bad, regardless of colour. I wore brown shoes to my last 3 interviews and got offers on all of them. I sense that my interviewers had better things to worry about, such as whether I seemed intelligent and articulate or whether I'd fit in with people already there. Ditto when I've been interviewing.

Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't want to hire the Scarlet Pimpernell. Cuff links, for example, I think you should leave to the interviewer. Trying too hard.
  • Matthewfalle

I'm not sure I understand the general objection to brown shoes. Green or blue would be bad. Suede also bad, regardless of colour. I wore brown shoes to my last 3 interviews and got offers on all of them. I sense that my interviewers had better things to worry about, such as whether I seemed intelligent and articulate or whether I'd fit in with people already there. Ditto when I've been interviewing.

Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't want to hire the Scarlet Pimpernell. Cuff links, for example, I think you should leave to the interviewer. Trying too hard.

Why would you wear a shirt without cuff links? I don't work or aspire to work in a factory.

Button cuffs. FFS no wonder you lot voted Brexit.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Been wearing ctshirts.co.uk for the last 10 years working in the big smoke, options available for single/double cuffs etc and always gone with double cuffs and cuff links. Why wouldn't you? Gives you a change to wear something a bit "odd" i.e. those weird cuff links given to you by your children....a bit like wearing garish socks. A bit of personality with your formal attire. Some individualism.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

The prime mover on no brown shoes explained that he would not reject somebody at 1st interview but if they attended a 2nd interview in brown shoes then he would reject them for a lack of awareness.

A long-term receptionist after putting somebody in the lift called me back and asked me "what on earth are you thinking?" to all intents and purposes they had been rejected before I even met them
  • First.Aspect

The prime mover on no brown shoes explained that he would not reject somebody at 1st interview but if they attended a 2nd interview in brown shoes then he would reject them for a lack of awareness.

A long-term receptionist after putting somebody in the lift called me back and asked me "what on earth are you thinking?" to all intents and purposes they had been rejected before I even met them
    this is just restating the irrational prejudice against brown shoes and does not provide any further insight into said irrational prejudice.

Multicoloured shoes are also bad.
  • First.Aspect
    drlodge wrote:
    Been wearing ctshirts.co.uk for the last 10 years working in the big smoke, options available for single/double cuffs etc and always gone with double cuffs and cuff links. Why wouldn't you? Gives you a change to wear something a bit "odd" i.e. those weird cuff links given to you by your children....a bit like wearing garish socks. A bit of personality with your formal attire. Some individualism.
    Well there you go. I couldn't hire you. Perhaps if you didn't impose your individuality on me by wearing anything other than extremely plain cufflinks I might see past them.

I don't like cufflinks. Technology has moved on to buttons since then.

Given that most offices are set to a temperature that allows sedentary people to wear light summer clothing all year round, I often have to roll my sleeves up. Cufflinks are just a pita. Where do you put them?

They are like cars without a slot to put the ignition key in. What do you do with the key?
  • surrey_commuter

this is just restating the irrational prejudice against brown shoes and does not provide any further insight into said irrational prejudice.

Multicoloured shoes are also bad.

sorry I obviously did not explain myself. Candidate walks through a large open plan office for an interview wearing brown shoes. He is invited back for a second interview and wears brown shoes because he has not noticed that everybody else is dressed more formally. He is rejected for a lack of awareness and poor judgement not for wearing brown shoes.

If a candidate turns up late and does not acknowledge the fact let alone apologise you do not reject them for being late. You reject them for being rude or being a bit of a tw@t who you can't be bothered to manage?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I'd assume depending on the role, the lack of awareness might be overlooked if other aspects were excellent, after all, they got a second interview?

Honestly, it's an interview, generally just go for as "beige" a choice in clothing as possible!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • First.Aspect
    I still don't get it. Brown shoes cam be formal. I work in a pretty formal environment. This thing about brown shoes is news to me.
  • surrey_commuter
    Jez mon wrote:
    I'd assume depending on the role, the lack of awareness might be overlooked if other aspects were excellent, after all, they got a second interview?

Honestly, it's an interview, generally just go for as "beige" a choice in clothing as possible!

overlooked enough to get a second interview but if they were as good as hoped they dress to conform at the second interview.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Jez mon wrote:

overlooked enough to get a second interview but if they were as good as hoped they dress to conform at the second interview.

Fair enough. I'd argue it may well be a quirk of the London white collar professional jobs though. I think a set of brown smart shoes in Engineering would mark you as a bit of an eccentric, for want of a better phrase, but probably not someone who didn't know how to get dressed (no engineer knows how to get dressed!)

The "no brown in town" thing was something discussed (informally) at school in 6th form (when we wore suits as opposed to our uniform). I can see it as bypassing a lot of graduates until they get into the real world.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Brown or Black shoes is very much secondary compared to how the candidates come across. I know some very efficient colleagues who you'd not hire for their dress sense.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sorry I obviously did not explain myself. Candidate walks through a large open plan office for an interview wearing brown shoes. He is invited back for a second interview and wears brown shoes because he has not noticed that everybody else is dressed more formally. He is rejected for a lack of awareness and poor judgement not for wearing brown shoes.

Personally, if I was interviewing I'd aim to hire the best candidate. And if they were wearing the wrong shoes tell them after. If the interview process itself is incapable of identifying a lack of awareness without relying on shoe related faux pas, then the interview panel need to have a rethink. Or be sacked for lack of awareness and poor judgement!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Fenix wrote:
    I know some very efficient colleagues who you'd not hire for their dress sense.

If they're wearing a dress then they definitely get the job.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Ben6899
    I still don't get it. Brown shoes cam be formal. I work in a pretty formal environment. This thing about brown shoes is news to me.

That environment isn't as formal as you think it is. Just sayin'.
    Ben

• surrey_commuter
    Jez mon wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Fair enough. I'd argue it may well be a quirk of the London white collar professional jobs though. I think a set of brown smart shoes in Engineering would mark you as a bit of an eccentric, for want of a better phrase, but probably not someone who didn't know how to get dressed (no engineer knows how to get dressed!)

The "no brown in town" thing was something discussed (informally) at school in 6th form (when we wore suits as opposed to our uniform). I can see it as bypassing a lot of graduates until they get into the real world.

LOl - this was in NYC but yes it was a Brit

I guess the point is that anybody going to an interview should dress as smartly and as conservatively as they are able to.
  • surrey_commuter
    Rolf F wrote:

Personally, if I was interviewing I'd aim to hire the best candidate. And if they were wearing the wrong shoes tell them after. If the interview process itself is incapable of identifying a lack of awareness without relying on shoe related faux pas, then the interview panel need to have a rethink. Or be sacked for lack of awareness and poor judgement!

Depends what the job is.

The point stands that the OP asked for advice and the best advice is to be as smart as possible.
  • First.Aspect
    Ben6899 wrote:

That environment isn't as formal as you think it is. Just sayin'.
    What is it you think I do?
  • Ben6899
    Where does the clothing that - say - a Muslim man might traditionally wear in a formal environment fall in this discussion? Like a kurtas or a thobe?

You'd be on pretty shaky ground not giving a good candidate a job for not conforming.
    Ben

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

Depends what the job is.

The point stands that the OP asked for advice and the best advice is to be as smart as possible.

True but only if the job is "black shoe wearer"!

And yes, smart makes sense. And black shoes make sense because, as we can see, some strange folk have a problem with brown shoes and you have no idea if the interview panel includes such like. But if the interview panel are sufficiently nuts as to have rules about who should and who should not wear cufflinks in an interview situation then you are best off not getting the job.
    Faster than a tent.......