Interview clothing

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,546
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    If it’s an office job, suited and booted.

Can always take a tie off in between meetings but it’s much harder to put one on.

People in the U.K. don’t mind people being overdressed anywhere near as much as under dressed.

On the note of suits; 2 piece, single breasted.

Anything else and you look like a tw@t in an interview.
    Single/double breasted suit thing is a matter of taste as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sure that double breasters haven't done me any harm.

Unless you are a fat Mafioso/Russian gangsta there is no reason to wear double breasted.

Single breasted tight fit, bit looser if doing CP.
    Nah, double breasted just looks better. Get them tailor made.

No. Second hand car salesmen wear double breasted. Ian Beale wears double breasted. Rolf Harris and Dotard wear double breasted.
    Like I said, never done me any harm :)

I can't be arrised to google losers and n0bs who wear single breasted suits as there will be just too many.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

revelations-about-a-young-jacob-rees-mogg-make-the-grown-up-jacob-rees-mogg-make-sense-1200x800.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress
    I'll agree with you on the black shoes point but on the double breasters, it depends who's wearing it :) Rees Mogg would not look good in anything, would he?

That's a single breasted hand-me-down His nanny sewed an extra set of buttons on for him as he's so skinny.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    What's missing from this fascinating discussion is the point - perhaps it's too obvious - that it doesn't matter tuppence what you think of your outfit, it's the message it sends to the people you're in front of. If you choose to send the message "I don't care about fitting in with your expectations, I'll do what the **** I like" then good luck with that.

As for me, I have a suit which does for interviews and occasional occasions where it ... well .... suits, and for everyday teaching (a profession which is mostly conservative in all the wrong ways) I go for the Tolkien rumpled tweed look, which you can still carry off in a state school round here if you just act like it's normal.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    bompington wrote:
    What's missing from this fascinating discussion is the point - perhaps it's too obvious - that it doesn't matter tuppence what you think of your outfit, it's the message it sends to the people you're in front of.

I don't think that perspective is really missing, tbf.

"don't wear it like this or you'll look like a knob" is fairly aware of the message the attire is sending.
  • Stevo_666
    Goes without saying really.

From my side there aren't many options when any interview I've had in the last 20-odd years has been for finance type roles with large corporates. Most other people will automatically match their dress code to what's expected for the role/company/industry sector. I say most because some people think brown shoes are OK :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    More unnecessary snobbery: Professional services = shirts with no pocket.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

You only wear a shirt with pockets if you are emergency services.

And none of this "no iron" rubbish. Iron it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    mrfpb wrote:
    I decided to forego the jacket at a recent round of interviews. Navy trousers and socks, white shirt, light blue floral tie, black shoes. From three interviews I got two offers and, from a fourth an invitation to return for a more senior post that hadn't been advertised, then I got offered that job as well. I actually had to wear a short sleeved shirt to one interview due to poor turnaround on the laundry. I still got the job, though.

Short sleeved shirt? Do you work in a zoo?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

revelations-about-a-young-jacob-rees-mogg-make-the-grown-up-jacob-rees-mogg-make-sense-1200x800.jpg?w=1200&h=1&fit=max&auto=format%2Ccompress
    I'll agree with you on the black shoes point but on the double breasters, it depends who's wearing it :) Rees Mogg would not look good in anything, would he?

A coffin?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Tbh people who wear ties when they’re not in external meetings and just in the office I tend to group with the Rees-Moggs of this world. Rather affected.

That'll be me then! FWIW, either I go down the sh1tty jeans and t shirt route which I think is somewhat depressing or I iron my shirt and try to look smart which is impossible without a tie and just looks depressing. I mean, I refuse to wear my stupid security badge/lanyard thing because I reckon that if I am going to the trouble of looking smart and wearing nice shoes and tie then I'm buggered if I am going to ruin the effect by wearing the sort of plasticky crap round my neck that looks more like it belongs in a rock festival than an office. We used to have nice name badges with magnetic clips that looked the part but mostly I just rely on people knowing who I am. I've never been told off for it!

I like ties. They are the only entirely non functional items of clothing I have which is nice. Look good with a bargain ebay silver plate 30s tie clip.

I don't wear proper suits to the office - that is really for the management wannabees who, needless to say, ruin the effect with missing the tie off. All of this of course depends on what the norms are in the industry/business in which you work.

P.S. No brown in town is a bit of an Edwardian attitude that probably Rees Mogg agrees with. And shirts shouldn't really have pockets but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    Rolf F wrote:

P.S. No brown in town is a bit of an Edwardian attitude that probably Rees Mogg agrees with. And shirts shouldn't really have pockets but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

In all seriousness, round my way, if I turned up on my first day in brown shoes I'd not very politely be told to come in the next day with black shoes.

Parts of London are a little old fashioned like that.

Similarly, I've heard stories of grads having their pocket shirts ripped off when they turn up to some of the more aggressive trading floors.

Sometimes sticking to the rulez is less hassle.

FWIW, in the world of City smoke and mirrors I was always told that white shirts are the mainstay of the more junior person as you don't need to know what matches and what doesn't. Then again, the same person wears red ties with a pink shirt so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Beyond this very narrow world, it's all a bit tongue in cheek tbh.

Suit & tie is fairly standard for any professional services. Avoid whacky ties and shirts and you'll be fine.
  • Stevo_666

All very well if you like ironing - try the TM Lewin non-iron jobs, they are pretty good.
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F wrote:
    Tbh people who wear ties when they’re not in external meetings and just in the office I tend to group with the Rees-Moggs of this world. Rather affected.

That'll be me then! FWIW, either I go down the sh1tty jeans and t shirt route which I think is somewhat depressing or I iron my shirt and try to look smart which is impossible without a tie and just looks depressing. I mean, I refuse to wear my stupid security badge/lanyard thing because I reckon that if I am going to the trouble of looking smart and wearing nice shoes and tie then I'm buggered if I am going to ruin the effect by wearing the sort of plasticky crap round my neck that looks more like it belongs in a rock festival than an office. We used to have nice name badges with magnetic clips that looked the part but mostly I just rely on people knowing who I am. I've never been told off for it!

I like ties. They are the only entirely non functional items of clothing I have which is nice. Look good with a bargain ebay silver plate 30s tie clip.

I don't wear proper suits to the office - that is really for the management wannabees who, needless to say, ruin the effect with missing the tie off. All of this of course depends on what the norms are in the industry/business in which you work.

CBA with ties, especially if I'm wearing one of my older shirts where the neck is a bit tight with the button done up. As I'm not customer facing, I only end wearing a tie to board meetings.

I think this is the third time I'm agreeing with Rick on the same thread; I'd better go and have a lie down.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    I decided to forego the jacket at a recent round of interviews. Navy trousers and socks, white shirt, light blue floral tie, black shoes. From three interviews I got two offers and, from a fourth an invitation to return for a more senior post that hadn't been advertised, then I got offered that job as well. I actually had to wear a short sleeved shirt to one interview due to poor turnaround on the laundry. I still got the job, though.

The post was in a hospital, so smart short sleeves/no tie would be the standard if I took the job.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I've never worn a suit and tie to an interview. Black trousers and smart shirt usually. I've never really worked in a typical office environment either though, mainly design/pr agencies. If people are going to decide whether or not to give me a job based on wearing a suit over trousers and a shirt, I feel like it's not really the place for me. I get it if it's a big corporate/client facing role and that'd be your normal workwear though.

Black trousers and shirt?

Do you collect glasses in a pub?

Nope, from home at the moment. It's tough on days like this with a hammock in the garden and the giro on tv.
  • rolf_f
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

CBA with ties, especially if I'm wearing one of my older shirts where the neck is a bit tight with the button done up. As I'm not customer facing, I only end wearing a tie to board meetings.

I think this is the third time I'm agreeing with Rick on the same thread; I'd better go and have a lie down.

You want to be careful about that - it may become a habit.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

The analogy I heard was that you would not put a roofrack on a ferrari.

Conversely if you had a non-iron shirt (1980s Lada) then a pocket would be entirely appropriate
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Rolf F wrote:
    I like ties. They are the only entirely non functional items of clothing I have which is nice.

They cover the shirt buttons.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Only a cad would wear brown shoes in town unless it’s Friday.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Matthewfalle
    mrfpb wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

The post was in a hospital, so smart short sleeves/no tie would be the standard if I took the job.

So yes in this answer to Mf’s question then.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    mrfpb wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

So yes in this answer to Mf’s question then.

no jacket and a short sleeved shirt for an interview would make him one of the most popular exhibits
  • rolf_f
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I like ties. They are the only entirely non functional items of clothing I have which is nice.

Is that a functional requirement? I suppose theoretically they could reduce drafts but I don't really buy that. I think they are decorative!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Rolf F wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Is that a functional requirement? I suppose theoretically they could reduce drafts but I don't really buy that. I think they are decorative!

True. Limited use for warming.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Rick is basically wholly correct on dress, except red ties can work with pink shirts - notably the 9/12 Royal Lancers tie (now merged with QRL and don't know what they settled with).

Brown shoes with a suit only look acceptable at weddings or garden parties for people who haven't specified morning suits, otherwise perfect for business casual on a Friday or rocking at the weekends when doing DIY/gardening or just bossing the groundskeeper around.

White shirts are great as they go with everything and look smart regardless. I am lazy as hell and buy non iron. I've stopped wearing cufflinks as they're just a pain but have a mix of ties, one or two formal (striped or spotted) the rest animal print from Pink or Hermes. Can't be totally bland.
    Blue shirts are just about passable but beware you don't look like a car salesman with blue shirt and grey suit.

My issue is non lace ups in the office. That's pretty lazy.

All that said, suits (by that I mean corporate dress codes) are a serious waste of money. Why not have a few pairs of chinos and nice shirts you can wear anytime then you don't have over a grand tied up in bloody suits ties and shirts which are only worn when you're dragging yourself to the office - it's like a reminder of your servitude.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    After reading all this I might have to get myself a cravat.
  • Matthewfalle
    No matter what it looks like he is wearing, MF always wears his rubber catsuit underneath.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey

Tasselled loafers are the curse of this current office.
  • Matthewfalle

Tasselled loafers are the curse of this current office.

What? Do you work on the set of Miami Vice?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    I know, right?

cheaney-harry-tassel-loafer-in-black-calf-leather-p84-1647_medium.jpg
    black leather tasslled loafers.

I refuse on principal.
  • Matthewfalle
    I know, right?

cheaney-harry-tassel-loafer-in-black-calf-leather-p84-1647_medium.jpg
    black leather tasslled loafers.

I refuse on principal.

Any chance you can get all the owners of same said loafers together in one room and set fire to them?

MF would approve of that course of action.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.